i30 Owners Club

2011 i30 engine cuts out when idling

Don C · 3 · 1632

Offline Don C

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Australia, Melbourne
Hi all, I just found this forum and hoping someone could help out.

I have a 2011 i30.  SX FD 5 Door Hatch, Petrol 1.6lt, Auto

My problem - When idling stopped at traffic lights, engine randomly dies

- Doesn't happen all the time, since it started it's about once every second drive on average.  But it's random, sometimes can happen 3 times in a 30min drive.  Other times been fine for 4-5 days.
- So far, each time when I try to restart, the first turn of the ignition the engine splutters, then second time it starts normally
- Most times after this restart the ESC light comes on, and the tachometer shows 0 rpm as I complete the drive.  The tachometer is back to normal after I park and then drive the next day (I also do the full turn of the steering wheel to fix the ESC)
- Mechanic has scanned and found no error codes.  He then tried cleaning out the throttle body and then replacing the ECU.  Neither have helped resolve the issue

Going to take the car to another mechanic, but hoping someone on here might have some ideas on what to get them to look for?
  • 2011 SX FD 5 Door Hatch, Petrol 1.6lt, Auto, Black

Offline Wolvreen

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Uk, Milton Keynes
I had a crankshaft sensor that failed.  Lumpy hesitant starts cutting out at idle waiting on a roundabout.  I think I had error codes though.  Cost me 150 gbp to fix.
  • i30 comfort petrol automatic 1.6

Offline Yonny

• 1st Gear

• nz New Zealand
I agree. Had similar issue and had to wait for a check light to give a code.Was Crankshat sensor 2 hundred NZdollars later, problem gone.
  • Huyundai 130 A4

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal