i30 Owners Club

1.4 petrol no engine oil left

Offline Donkeeballzs

• 1st Gear
Hi all,
First time on this site so apologies but I am going to start off with a problem  :(.
I bought an i30 about 2 years ago, first hyundai ever- previously all skoda.
Anyway a couple of months after it was serviced last year I checked the oil level one day and was shocked to see none showed at all on the dip - strange as no oil pressure warning light came on in the dash.
Anyway I put it done to the garage not changing the oil which they were adamant they did.
Topped it up and off I went, I checked again there the weekend as car test coming up and it's bone dry again after less then 10k km.

Has anyone ever experienced this? Are these engines oil drinkers?
The oil warning is what's light is what's got me though.

Thanks in advance for any feedback guys.
  • i30 1.4

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
How old is the car, how many km's? if there is no noticeable oil on the engine or the floor where it's parked then I'd say your rings are shot.

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
Hi Donkeeballzs

:wttc:

If I remember correct you're the first to report oil consumption, but it sounds bad.  How much oil did you have to top up with after those 10.000 km..?

I don't know what Hyundai count as too much oil consumption but if the car is still under warranty then report the problem and have them perform a test, they must have a specific procedure for that.

The oil pressure light won't light up before there's very little oil left, maybe only 1 litre or so.
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline Donkeeballzs

• 1st Gear
Hi Craig B,
Cheers for getting back.
She's 2008 (January),  done 100k km. No visible external leaks, haven't had a good nose about though. I thought of the rings although she's not smokey at all.
What's eating me is oil light - it works as it lights when you switch the ignition on and goes off when the engines running.
When I checked the dip there was literally nothing bar a trace on the twisted bit at the end.
The engine doesn't run rough or anything nothing to make you raise an eyebrow.
The place I work we used to fit lister petter engines and sometimes they wouldn't get filled with oil at assembly, it would be only noticed at 50hr service, so o know some engines can run on a lock of oil - not so sure this one though  :)
  • i30 1.4

Offline Donkeeballzs

• 1st Gear
Hi asterix

Thanks for the reply and welcome,
I put 2 litres in the other night, didn't fill it but it's going for service in the next few days so it will see me right til then. But as per my reply to craigb when I say there were nothing on the dip there was nothing.
Am more familiar with diesel engines but am sure I can get a compression test on each cylinder see which if any are dodgy.
  • i30 1.4

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
Hmm, 2+ litres in 10.000 km is not good. Let's hear when the compression test is done...
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Welcome Donkeeballzs...

Hyundai make a pretty good motor these days. We don't get a 1.4 Petrol or Diesel i30 in Oz, but none of their recent motors use much or any oils between services. That much oil use is scary to me!  :crazy1:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane
 :wts:

Mine is nearing 90K km and the oil level seems to hardly ever go down between services - I seem to have a feeling of giving it a small top up once... it didn't really need it but I had the right oil and I was going on a bit of a trip.

So yeah that amount of oil consumption does seem atypical and you probably want to get it checked.

And.....

:wlcome02:
  • 2019 i30 N-Line Premium (previously 2010 i30cw SLX (Auto) Petrol 2.0L)

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
The engine could not possibly use all that oil without some serious tell tale signs.

Smoke form the exhaust or an oily exhaust pipe would be an obvious sign that oil is passing through the motor, yet you don't report any smoke. I assume there are no signs of leakage on the ground after standing overnight.

I would do an oil replacement myself and put in the required amount. Check the dipstick to verify all is well, then check at regular intervals to see if there is any significant deviation. I assume the engine is clean and there are no oil stains evident. Check carefully around the oil filter for signs of a leak.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal