i30 Owners Club

What about this scenario?

Hati · 14 · 3506

Offline Hati

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Perth WA
We picked up the PD yesterday. Made me feel like a kid again :D What a fantastic car... Hyundai really outdone themselves on this one.

Anyway, while we were finding every excuse under the sun to drive it with Mrs Hati, we were discussing the features and functions and the following scenario came up that I could not find the answer to.

Car in a shopping centre car park. Hot day. You come back to the car with the groceries in a trolley. Being a hot day you first start the car up so it can cool down while the shopping is being loaded. Keep the smart key in your pocket while loading the shopping into the boot. Car keeps running (I checked, you only get a warning that the key is not detected, but keeps idling otherwise), lower life form approaches the car undetected, jumps in the driver seat while the better half turns white loading the shopping and realising what is going on. Said low life then drives off, leaving the better half in the parking lot with the smart key still in her pocket.

What will happen to the car? Will it run until turned off or use up the fuel? Is there some kinda of anti-theft function that kills the engine after being driven for a set distance or time past the smart key being detected as "not present"? The manual has no answers.

I am not interested in ways of AVOIDING this situation from happening. That is easy. I just want to find out if Hyundai actually thought of this and have some kind of response to it.

Cheers.
  • 2017 i30 Elite PD

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Sure been on the site in a post......... that the engine will stop if the smart key is more than a certain distance from the  car/receiver.

Otherwise.... just hope there is no frozen food in the boot, especially ice cream, as there will be an almighty mess when you recover the car..........
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
This puts me in mind of the short time I lived in Canada, temps -30 so we needed pre-starters.  when ya get up in the morning you could point yer doodaa at the car and start it so it from the living room to warm up and de-ice when ya needed to drive.

If anyone got into the car it would stop the moment they touched the brakes or the gas pedal.

I imagine the same sorta thing would be programmed into your ECU  :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob:

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Yeah.
Pretty sure it only works for about the same distance as your standard remote will operate the door locks.
Maybe 50/100 metres.

Someone will have the answer.

Or.......RTFM!   :head_butt:  :mrgreen:
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Isn't this easily tested? Start it and have someone drive it away.
Don't forget to post the video. :D
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
I know this is not an i30 pd, but a guy I know has a  few motor bikes at his farm. one was a new Harley Davidson . they use a similar type keyless start, the doogal or what ever the term is, just needs to be with in range of the motor bike and not armed and bike will start and you can ride it off. my friend grown up son was visiting and needed to go to town, so hopped on the new Harley dresser hit start button and off he went , was about 15k to town, parked the bike turned it off, when he came back the bike would not re start, so phoned his dad who went to meet him with the doogal or fob?
a pain as I know people with these bikes and they are always miss placing that fob or what ever?
in new South Wales, your not supposed to leave a car or anything runing unless your on it or in it with doors locked, there is a large fine, but I don't know anyone who has been caught .

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
 :lol:

Dongle, which is more accurate than fob. While some might imagine fob originates from fobwatch, it's really for transmitters with a Finger Operated Button. :goodjob:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I did some googling and it varies a bit brand to brand. Apparently some upmarket brands won't let you take the car out of park if the key is not detected inside the car (good idea). Others will drive until stopped or they run out of fuel and then won't start again. Not sure which category the PD i30 falls in though...  :undecided:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
I tried starting my GD and walking away some distance from it with the key in my pocket, the engine kept running, I then left my keys away from the car and  and found I could still drive it . The dash  had a picture of a key saying key not in car. I guess it would have driven until out of fuel or unable to start once the engine was switched off. 
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Ps
Check the handbook and see what it says.........
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Ps
Haven't you been checking the other threads? The forum is 90% male. RTFM doesn't kick in until all other avenues are comprehensively exhausted. :rofl:

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
Ps
Haven't you been checking the other threads? The forum is 90% male. RTFM doesn't kick in until all other avenues are comprehensively exhausted. :rofl:

:lol: :goodjob2:
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline Hati

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Perth WA
The handbook doesn't say anything. Been through it. Searching here yielded nothing relevant either.

I guess will have to test out which of the many versions apply.

• 2017 i30 Elite PD

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
The handbook doesn't say anything. Been through it. Searching here yielded nothing relevant either.

I guess will have to test out which of the many versions apply.

Sounds like a plan...
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal