i30 Owners Club

Would like some info on random questions - I30sr 6 speed manual

Guest · 23 · 6725

guest11447
I'll be picking up my new car in 4 days, and there appears to be a lack of meaningful information on the web about some questions I have.

How far off is the speedo, to actual speed (I had a new nissan 370z that was 9%  :eek: slower than indicated).

Does the satnav have a speed indicator (like a stand alone gps unit), and does it have an audible tone that tells you when you're over the limit?

Is the satnav manual (for 2018 cars) available to download (the same for the car manual)?

random rant - I can't believe they've just changed the factory bonus from $500 to $1000. Couldn't they have done it 3 days ago??  :disapp:

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD

How far off is the speedo, to actual speed (I had a new nissan 370z that was 9%  :eek: slower than indicated).

Thats about normal on modern cars.  :crazy1: Frustrating if you actually know YOUR and want to drive at your true speed.
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
G'Day,
ADR reg that speedo shows 5-7 % more at 100km/h.
Our i30 doesn't have satnav, Santa Fe does and gives indicated speed, flashes red when over.
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
G'Day,
ADR reg that speedo shows 5-7 % more at 100km/h.
Our i30 doesn't have satnav, Santa Fe does and gives indicated speed, flashes red when over.

Yeah, My SR does too. Flash red that is..

So, for example if I'm doing 105 in a 100 zone the 100 speed limit showing on the GPS will be normal, but if I hit 106 it will start to flash a brighter red. This is in line with a test using an Android App which showed the SR was over reading by 5% or 6%

It is actually a bit odd though because it seems to be about 5 kph over at 60 or 80 kph as well... :cool:

No automatic audible warning although I think you can set a speed alert. I've never bothered.

If you are getting a model with DCT and therefore Auto Cruise it is very good at holding speed even down steep hills, so if I set it at say 4kph over the limit I am pretty confident I'll be safe.

Edit: I see you are getting the manual, so will have to be a little more careful.  :undecided:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

guest11447
Thanks for the replies people. I'll have to compare speeds with my gps unit to give me an idea of what speeds are 'actual'.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Thanks for the replies people. I'll have to compare speeds with my gps unit to give me an idea of what speeds are 'actual'.
Please keep us posted. Be interesting to know if the manual is similar to the DCT Speedo error wise.  :cool:

Offline Blazorax

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
I seem to recall seeing that AutoExpert dude on Youtube mentioned that always 4km + another few % speed - do not know if it accurate

Let me check again and will update post.

Update:
"On the 1st of July 2006, here in ‘Straya, they updated the speedo compliance regulation called ADR 18.
New ADR 18 says speedos cannot indicate less that the true speed, and over-indication accuracy is limited to a maximum 10 per cent plus 4km/h. "

:link: The Truth About Speedo Accuracy | Auto Expert John Cadogan | Australia - YouTube

So if that is the case - any time you are 4km over the speed limit is still safe, since we don't know what additional % Hyundai use :)  So i'll stay at 4 - 5km over seem a safe bet

Reading this ADR18 will put me to sleep for sure
:link: Vehicle Standard (Australian Design Rule 18/03 - Instrumentation) 2006
« Last Edit: November 16, 2018, 10:42:16 by Blazorax »
  • 2018 PD2 5 Door Hatch, Petrol 1.6T, DCT, White, I30 SR Premium

Offline Cookie Thumper

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Valla Beach
I have a manual active with sat nav.

Speedo reads 5%(ish) fast, I set cruise at +5 km/h and have yet to get a ticket.

No speed given on nav screen.

No audible over speed on sat nav, maybe there is a setting hidden somewhere but ive not looked.

Sat nav overspeed indicated by the speed symbol flashing red.
  • 2017 Active PD 2.0, Manual, Black

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Thats my verdict too, I have Free Nav 12 GPS on a laptop that I use when overseas. It seems all cars in Europe and down under have this 5% overspeed built into them.

Really cheers you up in a 60kph zone when the driver in front thinks its a 50K limit ( less 5%  :crazy1:)
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

guest11447
This is the reason why I use my 5" gps unit instead of the speedo. I'll have to see where I can fit it, once I get the car on Tuesday.

I guess the easiest way to get a more realistic speedo is to change the tyre/wheel size, but it's hardly practical for a new car.  :rolleyes:

Offline Cookie Thumper

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Valla Beach
This is the reason why I use my 5" gps unit instead of the speedo. I'll have to see where I can fit it, once I get the car on Tuesday.

I guess the easiest way to get a more realistic speedo is to change the tyre/wheel size, but it's hardly practical for a new car.  :rolleyes:

Excuse my ignorance but what is the issue with having a speedo reading slightly fast ?

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia

Probably easier to get it calabrated. But I don't know who would do this.
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
Speedo reading FAST is an ADR requirement.
Enjoy it, relax, and pray they never activate the system that limits speed to that what is signposted. Most smart systems can identify speed signs .
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA

I don't see anything as wrong, the vehicle is set to read slightly over what you're actually doing by law.

Once you know where the needle sits for the speed you're doing then all should be fine, as others have already mentioned there is a small percentage difference, changing wheels and tyres the overall circumference still needs to match factory or else the speedo will be thrown well out of spec.

Going by my GPS at 100kph the car is reading 104-105kph on the speedo.

guest11447
Geeez... sorry I brought it up. I would have thought my posts were self explanatory.

It's irrelevant what the ADR states. If the speed limit is 60, I want to be able to drive at 60, and not have to do mental gymnastics to work out what speed I should be doing (according to the speedo) to match it. If I go over the limit and get caught, well that's on me and I'll accept the consequences.

It seems that many have been so used to the 'nanny state', they just blindly accept what they're told without question.

I guess I've joined the wrong forum. Nevermind.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Don't take it so hard, surely some wise suggestions are no call for you wanting to delete your account :faint: I'd say a nanny state is founded on people who don't want to face reality and hear the truth  :rolleyes:

I'm sure it's quite easy to look at your speedo and maintain it at 105kph which will mean you're actually doing 100kph as that is what I do myself :) we're only trying to offer advice but in the end whatever you do is up to you :goodjob2:
« Last Edit: November 17, 2018, 14:53:22 by CraigB »

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Geeez... sorry I brought it up.
It's irrelevant what the ADR states.
... so used to the 'nanny state', they just blindly accept

:faint:

All I can say is  Geeez.... what a week this has been.  :crazy1:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Geeez... sorry I brought it up.
It's irrelevant what the ADR states.
... so used to the 'nanny state', they just blindly accept

:faint:

All I can say is  Geeez.... what a week this has been.  :crazy1:

I let this one go without a fight. A bit over sensitive me thinks!  :crazy1:

Offline Cookie Thumper

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Valla Beach

Must be nice to have life so perfect that something so trivial is a concern.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Must be nice to have life so perfect that something so trivial is a concern.

Yes, exactly!

I'd certainly be more concerned or nervous if it under read or was spot on!  :sweating:

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Hope I never bump into this person on the road, what a pork chop  :crazy1:
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline Blazorax

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
I did not see any replies to his/her query as offensive or condesending, yet why the trigger and upset?

I guess some people have shorter fuse than others - no pun intended  :rofl:
  • 2018 PD2 5 Door Hatch, Petrol 1.6T, DCT, White, I30 SR Premium

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I did not see any replies to his/her query as offensive or condesending, yet why the trigger and upset?

I guess some people have shorter fuse than others - no pun intended  :rofl:

Yeah having a short fuse can (apparently) make some people touchy .. I wouldn't know.  :D

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal