Windscreen Replacement Cost

AlanHo · 6 · 5772

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
I was driving down an A road 2 weeks ago and a lorry coming the other way shed some gravel as we passed and my car took two hits on the windscreen. One is a circular chip out of the glass about 4mm dia with no cracks emenating from it and possibly repairable. The other is a crater more than 6 mm dia with cracks emenating from it currently spanning 25 mm. This one is low on the screen on the drivers side inside the screen wiper arc.

I rang my Insurers to report the problem and found myself talking to Auto Windscreens who are their nominated repairer. They advised me that the screen was illegal and could not be repaired - it had to be replaced and they booked an appointment to carry out the work. Because my car has lane guidance and auto screen wipers it has to be re-programmed after the glass is changed.

I told them that I wanted a KIA scrren fitted and not a cheap Chinese compatible - but it turns out that cheap compatibles are not available for the Niro 2 ADAP and they have to source from KIA.

They phoned me today to cancel my Monday appointment because the screens are not available. They are on back-order and will probably take a further 3 to 4 weeks to obtain. 

Although the replacement is covered by insurance I asked what one would cost, fully fitted and with the lane guidance and auto windscreen features re-programmed.  The guy couldn't quote a price but said you probably wouldn't get  a lot of change from £1,000.

Can this really be true?
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Wow!

Can't recall if I posted this on the club, but my FD windscreen replacements (yes, I needed it replacing twice) had heated wiper sections.

I do, however, recall that I had to wait 6 weeks for the first replacement and approx 1 week for the second.

I didn't ask the cost as it wasn't 'owt to do with me, at the time.
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
To be expected , new model with all the gizmos. I think alll our aftermarket is chinese anyway over here, no choice really

US market with all that stuff, not necssarily same part for other markets, but dealership mark ups are generally horrendous.

The vehicle options this part fits:

Fit Note: ACOUSTIC FILM, AUTO DEFOG SYSTEM, LDWS (LANE DEPARTURE WARN'G SYSTEM), LKAS (LANE KEEP'G ASSIST SYSTEM), VIN LABEL - VIN, W/S GLASS TYPE-TINTED (W/ S/B,SOLAR)
Production Date: 11/2016-

• i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Thanks Alan, the SR has those features too, so I assume wouldn't be cheap either!  :eek:

Glad I have windscreen insurance on both our cars....  :cool:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
Hi Al,
When we bought Santa, I rang windscreen places to ask how much.
As well as recalibrate,  all functions must be veried and guaranteed and insured in case of failure within warranty period that results in an "incident"
$2000 to $2500 was rough price.  :faint:.
So like Dazz we took out Windscreen cover allows 1 free per year  :happydance:
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi Al,
When we bought Santa, I rang windscreen places to ask how much.
As well as recalibrate,  all functions must be veried and guaranteed and insured in case of failure within warranty period that results in an "incident"
$2000 to $2500 was rough price.  :faint:.
So like Dazz we took out Windscreen cover allows 1 free per year  :happydance:

Yeah ours is an extra $80 per annum via RACT for nil excess windscreen replacement. I don't think it is limited to only one in our case?
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal