Dazzler · 41 · 22472

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi Folks,

Have been several threads on H-F and here (somewhere) about what oils to use in the i30 (mainly the diesel). It's something Lakes in particular seems to revel in... ;)

I was doing some retail therapy in Supercheap today and decided to buy some oil for my 7500km interim service (only 1500km away - 2 or 3 weeks?)

Looked at Mobil 1 (around $65) Shell Helix Ultra (around $56) settled on Castrol EDGE sport 5W - 30 (Just under $50) had to spend another $13.95 on another litre as i30 Diesel takes around 5.3 litres I believe. All these oils are fully Synthetic and suitable for diesels with particulate filter as far as I can understand.

I've decided to get my friendly local qualified service centre guys to do the interim service with this oil and genuine Hyundai oil filter at 7,500km and then get the 15,000 service done by the Dealer (with my own oil)

Not very exciting but there you go!
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
Dazz, look at the spec the oil meets should be same standard as what is in your owners handbook for particulate filter, i was told by a guy in oil industry i know that the oil needed is fully synthetic and smokeless, from what i know Mobile one is not fully synthetic i think it is about 15% synthetic. but i'll try and find out. i'll be getting the correct oil b4 the 15,000k service is due. i'll get Hyundai dealer to do that.
any idea on cost of oil filter and air cleaner from Hyundai? the oil filter looks like it comes apart and has a replacement elliment inside, looks a bit on the small side, but is easy enough to get at, the fuel filter looks more difficult to get at but not impossible, i look at these things as i put myself in the service staff shoe's if something looks like it's not too hard then they can enjoy there work if it looks like a pain :shock:  might me less enjoyable. everything looks easy enough to me.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Hi D-D and Lakes,

See my thread re CPF in Problems and Issues.

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=114

Called in to dealer today.
They confirmed that my car does have a CPF and need to use fully synthetic oil

I was quoted about £10 (approx $5) per litre and as the handbook quotes 5.3l = £60 ($30) i.e 6l..
Price you where quoted seems reasonable!!!!!!!!!!!
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

NOPE : I'm sure Mobil 1 is fully synthetic (as are the other two) Heard a lot of good things about all three oils...

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Dazz, was a court case against Mobile for misleading advertising, do you know how i check oil?

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Eye i think our $ is not worth even half a pound, it was about 4% less than the US $ last week

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Dazz, this is the oil i like, but have to find out if they have an oil that meets the standard hyundai have set in there owners handbook for CPF
http://www.edwardsracingengines.com/redline.html

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Hey Lakes... thanks for that but...

My wife says I can't have that oil (she doesn't like the shape of the bottle) :lol: (but what is so good about it)

Why would it be better than a Mobil, Shell or Castrol Product?

Rgds,

Dazz

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Quote from: "Lakes"
Eye i think our $ is not worth even half a pound, it was about 4% less than the US $ last week

I'm working on $2.04 -$2.09 to £1 on the UK exchange web sitelast week.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Quote from: "dazzling_darryl"
Hey Lakes... thanks for that but...

My wife says I can't have that oil (she doesn't like the shape of the bottle) :lol: (but what is so good about it)

Why would it be better than a Mobil, Shell or Castrol Product?

Rgds,

Dazz

Dazz, with me add's don't impress me, i go from first hand experience, took a long time for me to be convinced synthetic oil was better, but not all synthetic oil's are the same.
i now use that Redline Oil in my Harley, and use the heavy shock proof gear oil in the gear box ( lasts for good )
but i don't use it in the ute as too expencive and i do too many k's in the ute.
in the bike i only change it once a year and i rev that motor hard.
i saw how well it worked in race motors, i got to inspect a motor that had ran on it and was impressed. as no wear at top of the rod were it hooks up to the piston, i have seen other synthetic oil cause wear in that area at thats were you motor gets hot! also this motor had been runing very high valve seat pressure as is a high reving race motor and normally runing high valve seat pressure will put more wear and tear on parts but they all looked good.
they say that redline use a very high quality polyester, and just about all Nitro burning Top Fuel motors here in Australia use redline oil those motors only last one quarter of a mile, if you use the wrong oil they don't last one second ( true) Nitro put's the highest shock load of any motor so needs very good oil, if they all use it it say's something. but unless they make oil that meets the Standard in the owners manual i won't use it, as the standard is there for a reason. it's not just use synthetic oil it is a special standard synthetic oil, but i have to get out and ask my oil supplier.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Thanks Lakes,

Well explained...  ;)

Cheers,

Dazz

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Hey Dazz, this is a good oil too not sure if we get it here in Australia but look at the ACEA C3 spec that is what we have to use
http://www.worldsbestdieseloil.com/european-5w40.php

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Thanks Lakes,

Member Wombat is a bit shy but he seems to know his oils.... He's been telling me on the quiet for a while I need to find a smokeless synthetic oil (apparently castrol only makes their "Professional" branded rang in bulk drums) he's also doing some research for appropriate oils...

Rgds,

Dazz

Offline toxxic

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
http://www.mobil.com/UK-English/Lubes/P ... _5W-30.asp

The i30 (with its DPF - Diesel Particulate Filter) should take a synthetic "low ash" oil, such as mobil 1 ESP (emssion system proection), what sort of viscosity do hyundai recommend?

We use a M1 ESP 5w30 in all brand new diesel mercs with DPF's at work.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Hi Toxxic

A 5W 30 is in the range recommended (especially for cooler places such as Tas) good for economy too... :)

Rgds,

Dazz

Offline toxxic

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
Quote from: "dazzling_darryl"
Hi Toxxic

A 5W 30 is in the range recommended (especially for cooler places such as Tas) good for economy too... :)

Rgds,

Dazz

Thought so, Ill chick some in tomorow at work I think, Anyone know the RRP on a i30 hyundai oil filter element? Looks very easy too get too!

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Quote from: "toxxic"
http://www.mobil.com/UK-English/Lubes/PDS/GLXXENPVLMOMobil_1_ESP_Formula_5W-30.asp

The i30 (with its DPF - Diesel Particulate Filter) should take a synthetic "low ash" oil, such as mobil 1 ESP (emssion system proection), what sort of viscosity do hyundai recommend?

We use a M1 ESP 5w30 in all brand new diesel mercs with DPF's at work.

Hey Toxic thank's for your input m8. MB puzzle me with what i'm told by friends that own them all diesels but my Sister has a new 200 kompressor ( new model out ) one guy with a MB turbo diesel common rail 2.2 tell's me MB state that if he does not use a special castrol oil he voids his warranty?

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Hi Lakes,

The way I understand it the brand shouldn't matter as long as it's fully synthetic and smokeless (otherwise in time it clogs the particulate filter and these are very expensive - so i've been told)

I will email Hyundai Australia and see if they can supply a list of suitable oils and also ask at the local dealers parts counter what oil they sell for our model if I get near there in the next couple of days (there might be a Hyundai badged smokeless synthetic oil just sitting on the shelf) or have we already done this....

Cheers,

Dazz

Offline toxxic

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
Quote from: "Lakes"

Hey Toxic thank's for your input m8. MB puzzle me with what i'm told by friends that own them all diesels but my Sister has a new 200 kompressor ( new model out ) one guy with a MB turbo diesel common rail 2.2 tell's me MB state that if he does not use a special castrol oil he voids his warranty?

Suprised that they told him castrol as mobil is the prefured suplier of lubraicants to mercedes... I can tell you now all new MB diesels will use a low ash syntheic oil such as mobil 1 esp, the era before euro 4 (anything upto ~07 i think) used a standard oil, as DPF's were not mandatory in anything below a euro 3 emssions rating.

MB will decline a warranty request for not having clear writing on the forms... they are very tight (most manufacturers these days are), a brand new c220 CDI (im guessing you meant a c220 as there is no c200 diesels) will use a mobil 1 ESP 5w30 oil. Same engine a vito van which i work on everyday, they are decent motors!

Best idea is to ring up the dealer it was purchased from/is serviced at and ask them what they put in as you dont know what you will get mixing these new age syntheic oils between manufacturers... But i would guess they will tell you exactly what i have told you.

If you need any filters, parts or info etc for ya mercs just pm me (especially in the diesel range)  ;)

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Hey Dazz i just read on the HF that you asked Hyundai if aussie i30's have a CPF and tey said no?
now take a look at the pic's of Thumpers pipe and read wha he say's, the pipe people he went to say he has a CPF m8? i'm almost 100% sure what i looked at up the front of my system just after the flex pipe i'm sure that is a CPF i see as it look just like a Cat converter that an unlead petrol car uses. you are confusing people m8 now turbo 1600 thinks he can use mineral base oil. better ask Hyundai again and check it's someone that knows what they are talking about that answers your question.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Steady up there John  :shock:

I just sent this back to the rep who gave me the info...

"Thanks Nick,

Our more technical members don't believe the Aussie i30 doesn't have a CPF as there is a canister shaped object in front of the muffler on the exhaust and several members have been told by "so called experts" that this is a CPF could you please advise what this is so I can convince these members you are right and they are wrong...! They are most concerned at using the wrong oil and damaging their much loved i30 or voiding their warranty...

Sorry!"

Only took a day for a reply last time so lets see what they say.

Hope I haven't offended anyone with the wording of my email... Thought that was the best way to get the message across to them as to why we are questioning their info.

I sent the first email because I was getting frustrated with the lack of official info on this matter. I was in no way doubting Thumper and it certainly looks like a catalyst converter or CPF but I don't want to chase around for this smokeless oil (and probably pay extra) if it's not required. The fully synthetic stuff is dear enough!

Regards,

Dazz (still smilin...) :D

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

P.S.

I've also rung the service manager at the local Dealer (he was busy) but will investigate. He knew if it had a CPF that it would need low ash oil but off the top of his head wasn't sure if the i30 did or not. He will also investigate and ring me back!

Think we are getting closer to a definitive answer now!

Cheers,

Dazz

Offline TheBunyip

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      UK
A Though on Diesel exhaust filterst....

Is it possible that the apparent confusion arises from the differences between a CPF and  a DPF.

DPFs are well established technology used by most if not all manufacturers today if they sell into Europe in order to meet Euro4 criteria. I would be astounded if Hyundai would drop the use of the filter in Australia.

CPFs are not yet in serious use from what I have seen.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Hey Bunyip (I like that name - got a nice ring to it)

Thanks for your input (I was really hoping you were right as it would make life a bit less complicated)

But after some searching it seems to me they are the same thing!

CPF = Catalyzed diesel particulate filter

DPF = Diesel particulate filter

I could be wrong but that seems to be where my google search led me!

Rgds,

Dazz

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
No worries Dazz, we can't hurt the motor useing Turbo Diesel Mineral base oil, just hurt the CPF but it takes time to do that m8, you and me don't keep car's that long so no worries. just nice to know what u have up ya butt :D
cheers m8

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Haven't heard back from Hyundai or the Local Service Manager... maybe, I put the cat amongst the pigeons :D )

Offline Thumper

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      ACT
Darryl, sorry if I've caused any problems. Only reporting on what I've been told, and what I've seen on my own vehicle when it was up on the hoist.

I read the links shown before about Diesel PF's (Can't remember what thread it was on here) explaining all different types of filters, and to me, it looks like we do in fact have some form of Particulate filter on our i30's.

Issue is, which one is it?

I also would like to know so I can purchase the correct oil, to not void the warranty.

Again, I'm not here to cause any problems/issues with anyone on here.  :)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

No worries Thumper (it's not an issue)

You have made a huge contribution to this site and as you say the canister sure looks like a CPF or DPF.

I've just been getting frustrated that even the owner's manual doesn't actually say equivocally (Good word  :lol:  that service Manager didn't know if Aus i30 had CPF or not! (still waiting for him to call with result of his enquiry) He didn't have an i30 nearby he could stick on the hoist (and was busy with some vistors)

Will let everyone know when I get more info from Hyundai or the Dealer. I've got my supercheap receipt in a safe place in case I've got to do an exchange! :?

Maybe bob could find out if that real expensive oil his dealer puts in is "low ash"

Rgds,

Dazz  

ouri30
Bob here.  Wife is taking ouri30 in for a 15 000km service tomorrow.  Will ask her to enquire aout the exact oil that is used (she'll brobably tell me to go .....).

Dazz, thanks for enquiring and hopefully finally we will get a definitive answer from someone (or several someones) so that we will know once and for all.

Bob

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Thanks Bob, that would be great...

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal