i30 Owners Club

RE: Oil for i30 Diesel

Dazzler · 41 · 22467

Offline TheBunyip

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      UK
A bit more digging into the background..

Because Peugeot were keen to ensure that the DPF they developed would not be contaminated by ash from the oil they got Total to develop a synthetic oil specifically for use in their Diesels. It is now the only oil for my Mazda3.

The term  DPF seems to have come into use when early simple "Soot Filters" were first on the scene.

The term CPF seems to refer to the fact that lots of modern Filters use a Catalyst to help burn off the accumulated particulate matter from time to time.

However there is another type of Catalyst used for reducing or eliminating Nitrous Oxides and Carbon Monoxide. I have seen reference to Diesel filters which use a Catalyst to do battle with these emissions being developed (for the North American market?). California started a trend which tries to subject all fuels to the same emission criteria rather than the slightly more practical but less stringent Euro system.

The boys at Hyundai like everyone else have been researching this field for some time.
see.. http://sciencelinks.jp/j-east/article/200413/000020041304A0428023.php
and ..http://www.greencarcongress.com/2008/04/rhodia-launches.html#more
and...http://www.greencarcongress.com/2008/04/mazda-wins-awar.html#more

It seems to me that we might gain a lot by asking  Hyundai for some help. Another thread is getting excited about a butterfly in the inlet manifold. Could it be that Kia Cee'd drivers who have the same Diesel engine would also be interested in joining an approach trying to persuade the manufacturer to publish an enthusiasts description for this new CRDi diesel. After all I am sure that the competition will have long finished stripping down and studying this new machine so there will be nothing gained by keeping quiet about it.

Failing that how about asking if one of the Hyundai tech Trainers would like to drop in here and put us out of our misery now and again. In my total ignorance I have been wondering if a certain replacement sports muffler mod (Yes you know who) might cause a problem for the CPF/DPF by reducing that "back Pressure". Would the change have any impact on the operation or life of the filter and so reduce the value of the currently impressive gains. I have'nt a clue but would love to know what  Hyundai's German Design Engineers think. Unlike some I keep my cars for a very long time so reliability and TCO are high on my list.

If local dealers and others in the Hyundai family are unsure what filter is actually fitted I guess they should be interested too so they can answer questions from customers such as those who appear on this forum.  Is it safe to presume that the service techs will have had good training that has not been simplified for the sales staff?

I shall just have to keep an eye on this thread to see what you come up with.

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
Quote from: "TheBunyip"
A bit more digging into the background..

Because Peugeot were keen to ensure that the DPF they developed would not be contaminated by ash from the oil they got Total to develop a synthetic oil specifically for use in their Diesels. It is now the only oil for my Mazda3.

The term  DPF seems to have come into use when early simple "Soot Filters" were first on the scene.

The term CPF seems to refer to the fact that lots of modern Filters use a Catalyst to help burn off the accumulated particulate matter from time to time.

However there is another type of Catalyst used for reducing or eliminating Nitrous Oxides and Carbon Monoxide. I have seen reference to Diesel filters which use a Catalyst to do battle with these emissions being developed (for the North American market?). California started a trend which tries to subject all fuels to the same emission criteria rather than the slightly more practical but less stringent Euro system.

The boys at Hyundai like everyone else have been researching this field for some time.
see.. http://sciencelinks.jp/j-east/article/200413/000020041304A0428023.php
and ..http://www.greencarcongress.com/2008/04/rhodia-launches.html#more
and...http://www.greencarcongress.com/2008/04/mazda-wins-awar.html#more

It seems to me that we might gain a lot by asking  Hyundai for some help. Another thread is getting excited about a butterfly in the inlet manifold. Could it be that Kia Cee'd drivers who have the same Diesel engine would also be interested in joining an approach trying to persuade the manufacturer to publish an enthusiasts description for this new CRDi diesel. After all I am sure that the competition will have long finished stripping down and studying this new machine so there will be nothing gained by keeping quiet about it.

Failing that how about asking if one of the Hyundai tech Trainers would like to drop in here and put us out of our misery now and again. In my total ignorance I have been wondering if a certain replacement sports muffler mod (Yes you know who) might cause a problem for the CPF/DPF by reducing that "back Pressure". Would the change have any impact on the operation or life of the filter and so reduce the value of the currently impressive gains. I have'nt a clue but would love to know what  Hyundai's German Design Engineers think. Unlike some I keep my cars for a very long time so reliability and TCO are high on my list.

If local dealers and others in the Hyundai family are unsure what filter is actually fitted I guess they should be interested too so they can answer questions from customers such as those who appear on this forum.  Is it safe to presume that the service techs will have had good training that has not been simplified for the sales staff?

I shall just have to keep an eye on this thread to see what you come up with.

Good one Bunyip, hey i found a friend has those Michelin Tyres you told us about on his Mazda he likes them, also found an outlet here that sell's them. but for the time being the kumho Tyres that came with my car seem fine, roll smooth and as it has rained here this past week i have got to do some wet weather testing, they seem ok to me, but if i have a problem i'll replace with a set of those Michelin , thanks again.

Offline i30manUK

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      England
Hi everyone - Geoff here, from England...

I just got off the phone to Hyundai Customer Services in the UK and my 2.0 diesel engine has a CPF, so I can confirm what eye30 has been told about UK cars.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Thanks i30manUK

I was thinking that I had the only i30 with CPF (See other postings especially those from OZ).

Oil expensive - Dealer quoted £10.00 per litre so hoping I don't need to buy any between services.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Still waiting on a reply from Hyundai and the local service Manager to my followup queries (it can't be that hard can it?) :roll:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline echocae

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Perth WA
CASTROL RX SUPER - is what most of dealer in australia would recommends for Hyundai i30 CRDI

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

As I've just posted under Offical Reply from Hyundai...

Here is a PDF of recommended oils (direct from Hyundai Auystralia)

Australian i30's DO NOT have a DPF or CPF...

http://www.aouq23.dsl.pipex.com/I30_OIL_.pdf

Cheers,

Dazz

Offline TheBunyip

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      UK
For UK i30 owners....

If you supply your own Oil for a service you can save money. Halfrauds can supply but are not always the best buy.

A good Synthetic Low Ash Oil for the CDRi will always be at the top of the cost range. (For my Mazda3 £60 from a dealer. £40.00 from Online Lubricants)

Two mail order suppliers to consider are:
1. Opie Oils who supply lots of Car Clubs. (Is there a UK Hyundai Club that could help?) see.. http://www.opieoils.co.uk/default.aspx

2. Online Lubricants  is the distributor for Total Oils. (I would email Total Customer services from their web site to ask for their suggestion for the Hyundai CRDi. Total have done a lot of research into Oils for use with Diesel particulate filters. http://www.online-lubricants.co.uk/totalpage2b.htm

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Thanks for the tip TheBunyip.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Good work Bunyipster
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Does anyone know if the Petrol and Diesel i30's use a different oil filter... I've been quoted $11.87 for a filter (told it's the same as the petrol i30 oil filter) but lakes has been quoted $25.00?

Local Service Manager not sure (and didn't volunteer to check....)  :lol: as when the guy in parts found out how scarce they were he asked how often do you have to change them!!!!!  and he works in the parts department  :shock:

Cheers,

Dazz

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal