UK Tesco Car Sales Closes

AlanHo · 6 · 2037

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
Supermarket chain Tesco has been forced to close its online used car venture, Tesco Cars, after just 12 months. The business was set up in partnership with Carsite but struggled to sell enough vehicles to be viable. With Tesco profits falling, the firm has decided to cut its losses and close the site.

Tesco Cars was was launched last April and promised 'to make the whole used car buying experience easier, safer, more transparent and more enjoyable'. It delivered vehicles direct to customers homes for a fixed charge of £149 and also offered 2000 Clubcard points.

The site claimed to advertise up to 3,000 cars every week with fresh stock added daily. Its range of cars, between six months and three-years-old, included MPVs, small hatchbacks and executive saloons. Servicing came from a nationwide network of more than 1,000 independent garages operating through an arrangement with National Service Network.

However, sources claim that the site was only selling 150 cars a month and began laying off staff over Christmas. Tesco Cars apparently had problems sourcing popular models, which would explain the poor sales numbers but with no improvement on the horizon the site has been closed and is no longer accepting orders.

Visitors to to the Tesco Cars website are now greeted by the simple statement below along with information for customers who have placed orders. The firm is offering a full refund of the £99 handling fee, or alternatively if the vehicle is in stock it can proceed with order. Customers who have already paid for their vehicles will still receive them. Any warranty is still valid as these are provided by Warranty Group, which will continue to honour all warranties.

Tesco Cars isn't the first high profile online car retailer to fail. Jam Jar cars was launched amid much publicity in 2000. A joint venture between RBS and dealer group Dixon Motors, it was the first major online car retailer, but closed in 2009 after Dixon Motors went into administration.
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Online eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
I still believe in face to face when buying motor.

Also, it helps to actually see the car in person if it has already been used, i.e. 2nd hand, unless it is a brand new motor and has to be ordered in by the dealer.

I hear stories of people who go to a dealers and they say the car is actually at xxxx branch.  But we can do the deal now and I'll get it transported over.

It never comes, as already sold, or is not as advertised.  The dealer wants to get rid of a lower/higher spec etc and they badger the buyer into taking another spec or they then have the hassel of trying to get cash back.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
I wouldn't buy that way because I know I can get a better deal in person. Just getting up and starting to walk away is a very powerful resource in the buyers toolkit.

This normally will get you more.

Thats when you throw your lowball deal at them, they reject it and you really walk away and wait for the phone call.
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
I noticed this on The Sun last week and was surprised that Tesco even hoped they'd make a profit from this business. I'd always considered they'd entered the car sales market to bolster their insurance portfolio.

• Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Online eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
It delivered vehicles direct to customers homes for a fixed charge of £149 

Rip off.

I could probably get to nearly 99% of places in the UK for less by public transport.

But if you are P/X then you would drive to collect..

and also offered 2000 Clubcard points.

= £20.

Not much of an incentive
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
I can't imagine buying a car from a supermarket.  :undecided:
  • Tertius the i30

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal