New KIA Ceed versus New Hyundai i30

AlanHo · 19 · 13013

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
I decided out of curiosity to compare the features and prices of the new KIA Ceed with my 2012 i30 1.6 CRDi 128 PS Premium.

There is no direct equal to my car in the Ceed range. The Ceed 2 costs less but has fewer features and the Ceed 3 costs considerably more but has some extra features compared with my car - as follows :-

Buying the Ceed 2 instead of the i30
Ceed 2 On the road price £18,295 - exactly £1000 less than my i30.

I would gain                                                      I would lose
LED rear lights                                                   Auto headlights
Puddle lights in the external mirrors                    Follow me home headlights
Rear centre armrest                                           Rain sensing wipers                                           
                                                                        Front wiper de-icer
                                                                        Dual climate control

Buying the Ceed 3 instead of the i30
Ceed 3 On the road price £21,695 -  £2,400 more than my i30.

I would gain                                                      I would lose
LED Rear lights                                                  Front parking sensors (that are useless anyway)
Puddle lights in the external mirrors
Faux leather seat inserts
Faux leather door centre trim
Passenger seat height adjustment
Power lumbar support front seats
Rear seat armrest
Auto dipping rear view mirror
Sat-Nav
Reversing camera

The Ceed and the i30 both have identical engines, power, torque, fuel economy and CO2 emissions.
However the i30 accelerates from 0 to 62 mph in 10.9 seconds with a max speed of 117 mph
The Ceed accelerates from 0 to 60 mph in 11.5 seconds with a maximum speed of 122 mph

Note: The acceleration times given in the respective brochures are over slightly different distances.

Having looked at these comparisons - if I were in the market today for either of these cars - I would still chose the i30.

• 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
I've seen the new Cee'd and on first glance it looks the business.

I was looking at the mid range one and I think price was just less than what I paid.

I was put off because they make the selection/comparision proocess so complicated between the different variants within the same model range.

But again I decided to buy the i30.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline meehalych

• V.I.P
  • Aircraft technician

• ru Russian Federation
      Kolpino

• Kolpino is the capital of Russia (founded in 1722)
when time comes I will add a comparison of Russian new i30 and new Cee'd, I reckon the latter car will win because of price and features  :twisted:
In Russia even Hyundai Solaris (new Accent for the rest of the world) beats i30, unfortunately. There are lot of Solaris on the roads of Saint-Petersburg now

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
Using the gear ratios published in the Ceed brochure I have calculated its speed in each gear per 2000 rpm for comparison with the new i30. Both cars being the 1.6 CRDi 126 HP diesels

1st gear     2nd gear      3rd gear      4th gear        5th gear       6th gear

KIA Ceed                18               34             58                81                98               115 km/hour

Hyundai i30            18               32             56                79                 93               111 km/hour

It can be seen that the Ceed is higher geared. The new i30 is already higher geared than the previous i30 and the Ceed is geared higher still. It will be interesting how this impacts on economy and how lively it feels.

I will be carrying out a test drive of the new Ceed in a couple of weeks time so watch this space.
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net

It can be seen that the Ceed is higher geared. The new i30 is already higher geared than the previous i30 and the Ceed is geared higher still. It will be interesting how this impacts on economy and how lively it feels.

I will be carrying out a test drive of the new Ceed in a couple of weeks time so watch this space.

No doubt about you Alan  :goodjob2: :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline meehalych

• V.I.P
  • Aircraft technician

• ru Russian Federation
      Kolpino

Well here is new KIA Cee'd info:
To begin with a car I'd like would cost me 760.000rub (23500USD roughly - Cee'd 1.6 6AT Luxe), it includes: cruise-control; dual climate-control; 16" alloy wheels; light and rain sensors; steering wheel heating system; 6 airbags; ABS; ESS; car alarm system; auto dipping rear view mirror; additional electro cabin heating system; bluetooth system; Flex steer and many other features similar to ones in my Hyundai i30 (front and rear center armrests; front wiper de-icer and so on).

Cee'd 1.6AT  Prestige - 860.000rub (26500USD): as Lux + rear parking sensors; rear LED lights; LED DRL; TFT 7" screen; electrical parking brake; engine start button; ESC; BAS; VSM; HAC; trunk's organizer; 
Cee'd 1.6AT  Premium - 960.000rub (29600USD): as Prestige + 17" wheels; blue tinted windows; glass roof and hatch; AFLS; light's washers; automatic parking system; rear camera; GPS

Cee'd 1.4 MT Classic 600.000 rub (18600 USD)
Cee'd 1.6 MT Classic 650.000 rub (20100 USD)
Cee'd 1.6 MT Comfort 680.000 rub (21000 USD)
Cee'd 1.6 AT Comfort 720.000 rub (22250 USD): 16" steel wheels; air conditioning; cruise-control; bluetooth; no rain and light sensors

Offline meehalych

• V.I.P
  • Aircraft technician

• ru Russian Federation
      Kolpino

and here goes Russian new Hyundai i30:
i30 1.6AT Classic 729.000 rub (22500 USD): 2 airbags; ESS; air conditioning; driver's armrest; 15" steel wheels
i30 1.6AT Optima 770.000 rub (23800 USD): Classic + 6 airbags; HAC; ESP; VSM; BAS
i30 1.6AT Comfort 850.000 rub (26230 USD): Optima + fog-lights; windows with UV filter; climate-control; net in a trunk  :mrgreen:; front wiper de-icer; rain sensor; bluetooth; 16" alloy wheels
i30 1.6AT Style 910.000 rub (28100 USD): Comfort + EPB; Flex steering; auto folding side mirrors; rear passenger's air ducts

i30 1.4 MT Base 650.000 rub (20100 USD)
i30 1.6 MT Classic 680.000 (21000 USD)
i30 1.6 MT Optima 720.000 rub (22230 USD)

new Hyundai i30s and new KIA Cee'ds are delivered with petrol engines only

So new Hyundai i30 has no parking sensors, no camera, no GPS, no cruise-control!!!! What does Hyundai expect from this model?!

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
Wait a few month, until they find out what their custumers wants, then they might change the model range.
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline meehalych

• V.I.P
  • Aircraft technician

• ru Russian Federation
      Kolpino

Wait a few month, until they find out what their custumers wants, then they might change the model range.
as long as Hyundai assembles its Solaris (new Accent) in Russia, it will never change the model range of Hyundai i30  :twisted:

Offline meehalych

• V.I.P
  • Aircraft technician

• ru Russian Federation
      Kolpino

a price for KIA 1.6 6AT Prestige has been lowered from 860.000 to 840.000 rub  (26150 USD)  :D - no chance for new i30 to find many owners in Russia.
It appears that Hyundai regards new i30 as a car for European market (this can be concluded also from a previous experience of "old" i30, which came to Russian market in 2009 only, though it had been in production since 2007 already)

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

You would think that Hyundai would want to nurture any emerging market and build up some goodwill.
It never hurts to write to them and make your views known Misha.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline meehalych

• V.I.P
  • Aircraft technician

• ru Russian Federation
      Kolpino

You would think that Hyundai would want to nurture any emerging market and build up some goodwill.
It never hurts to write to them and make your views known Misha.
that is what I have done, but haven't got any reply yet  :twisted:

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Keep us posted.
Point them to this forum too.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline meehalych

• V.I.P
  • Aircraft technician

• ru Russian Federation
      Kolpino

for those, who can read German or use Google-Translator integrated with GoogleChrome browser  :mrgreen: (the latter is my choice)
http://www.autobild.de/artikel/kia-cee-d-hyundai-i30-test-3501978.html

Google's Russian translation of the mentioned article turned out to be awful, so I preferred English instead. The outcome of the test is KIA Cee'd and Hyundai i30 are almost similar to each other, but i30 is better anyway  :D (but it is not in Russia, for the time being)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

That was interesting thanks Misha .. :goodjob: (so was the translation)  :snigger:

Offline peon2t

• 3rd Gear

• ch Switzerland
      Lucerne, Switzerland
Speaking German as my mother tongue I have read this German comparison test some days ago.

Basically it says: Buy the i30, don't buy the Ceed.

While the price of the Ceed at first glance looks attractive, they say that you'll pay more in the end because Kia charges for every extra that's already included in the i30.

But more important they state that the i30 is just the better car for the average driver because it drives more comfortable (better suspension, better tuned engine, more space, better seats)

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

That's all we need to know  :goodjob2:

Yeah, thanks.. That was how it looked to me too  :winker:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal