i30 Owners Club

Push to ban alcohol ads in sports broadcasts.

Offline Ugly Mongrel

• V.I.P
  • H.O.S. inmate

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld

• Sorry, but my karma just ran over your dogma.
I can't say I disagree with this proposal as I believe it will happen eventually, just like the banning of cigarette advertising in sport.

Greens push for bans on liquor advertising
  • Lubricious, the greatest 2010 CW Auto diesel.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
I for one get sick of this sort of thing.... :rolleyes:
If something is legal why then should it not be allowed to be advertised?

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
Sorry disagree Rusty,alcohol has absolutely NO place at any sporting event,fair enough you want to watch sport at home and drink,that's fine,alcohol has no place being consumed in a public place or would you prefer,legalised street drinking
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Advertising and drinking are two different things, Rick...  :wink:

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Advertising and drinking are two different things, Rick...  :wink:
Well, if that's the case, the advertisers have been wasting their money all these years.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

ouri30
The argument that because it's legal, then it can be advertised at sporting events and during telecasts is an old one.  On that logic, because prostitution is legal in some states, then it can be advertised during sporting events and associated telecasts and at venues.  Thankfully, that would never even be considered to be appropriate.

And while I'm at it, the advertising of gambling services during telecasts of cricket is wearing a little thin with me.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
On that logic, because prostitution is legal in some states, then it can be advertised during sporting events and associated telecasts and at venues.  Thankfully, that would never even be considered to be appropriate

Why not? I'd like to see that....  :lol:

ouri30
On that logic, because prostitution is legal in some states, then it can be advertised during sporting events and associated telecasts and at venues.  Thankfully, that would never even be considered to be appropriate

I wondered who'd be the first  :rofl:  :rofl: :rofl:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Which states  :question: :)
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Sorry disagree Rusty,alcohol has absolutely NO place at any sporting event,fair enough you want to watch sport at home and drink,that's fine,alcohol has no place being consumed in a public place or would you prefer,legalised street drinking

Shame the venue is licensed, thus making it a massive pub with a sports ground in the middle. I recall a Manly player on bail in Qld for assaulting a police officer had conditions that he could not enter a licensed premises had to get a variation so that he could play the Broncos at Lang Park....

I am a bit conflicted on alcohol advertising, unlike tobacco, consumed responsibly it causes few problems, but in the hands of idiots it causes great harm....You could say the same for cars I guess.
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
I think the major issue with alcohol advertising at sporting events is that it is attended by children as well.  While it is legal, it is not legal for kids. 

Offline Eureka

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
I would support  such a ban, and a ban on sports bet ads too.
  • SX crdi manual 2007

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Me 2
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia

• miracles can happen

Now so would I,as long as it was a free service  :whistler:
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
I think the major issue with alcohol advertising at sporting events is that it is attended by children as well.  While it is legal, it is not legal for kids.

Even if the advertising were banned, they are still gonna see adults drinking...
Kids also walk past pubs, bottle shops, read magazines and watch television too...I reckon if they are tempted to drink, they'll do it regardless.
How many kids see their parents drinking anyhow?

We've gone through the same thing with tobacco advertising and honestly, has that really had that much affect, I still see plenty of kids smoking.....  :undecided:

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Considering there's a total ban on cigarette advertising and we've been bombarded with quit & scare campaigns combined with ever increasing prices I don't consider those figures are anything to skite about...  :undecided:

Interestingly I see the figures for 15-17 year old girls actually increased....  :confused:
Doesn't really surprise me though as I reckon I do see more girls smoking than boys...

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia

• miracles can happen
combined with ever increasing prices I don't consider those figures are anything to skite about...  :undecided:

Prices and Taxes on both Alcohol and Tobacco aren't increasing enough,not sure about over your way,but with the promotions and discounting over here,many of the alcoholic drinks(especially some of the beers)are cheaper than soft drink,now there's responsible marketing for Ya!

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Can't comment on the beer but some of the bourbon & cola 4 packs are around $20..... :undecided:

Bloody expensive enough now without bumping up the price even more..... :fum:

Rudd's alcopop tax did nothing to stop teenage drinking...

:link:

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
I think they should ban sport in alcohol advertising.
Ruins a good ad.
  • Tertius the i30

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal