i30 Owners Club

Dad fined for leaving his window open....

Guest · 7 · 1411

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Dad fined for leaving his window open, but there are other little-known road rules for the unwary...
FELICITY SHEPPARD
THE COURIER-MAIL
JANUARY 06, 2014

Julian Harris was visiting family in Brisbane's north on Sunday when he decided to leave two windows down "three to four" centimetres to let some of the hot air escape from the parked car on a 34C day.

It left the father of one with a $44 fine and a rap across the knuckles from police.

Under Queensland law, if a driver is more than 3m from their car, the vehicle must be "secured" with the engine off, hand brake applied, ignition key removed (if no one over 16 remains in vehicle) and windows up with a gap no more than 5cm.

Read More: :link:

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
So unless he left key in, handbrake off and an under16 in car he did not break the law!
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
If his windows were less or close to the 5CM rule then he should be able to fight it!  :undecided:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
The exact opposite applies in Churchill Alaska :-

One of the ironies of Churchill is that its residents, who have so much to lose from climate change, often have to drive for their own safety. Signs emblazoned with the silhouette of a polar bear warn pedestrians not to walk in certain areas around town and on the banks of the Churchill River. People leave their cars, and sometimes their houses, unlocked, in case they or a passerby need to make a quick escape from a hungry animal.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Another legislative pearl, from Queensland.  :disapp:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
The rest of the story is that he was parked (at least partially) on the footpath and facing the wrong way. I'm pretty sure there was a third offence as well. The police had been inundated with reports of "break ins' in the area and were patrolling the area in response to that. They elected to let him off on the other offences as thet felt at the time they should concentrate on the most relevant.
I know you can park on both sides of the road in the UK and (probably) Europe but that's not the case here. And parking on the footpath can result in pedestrians having to walk on the road to get around.
I'm not in favour of either.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
OIC  :-[
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal