Volvo introduces a car with an app to unlock the doors and start the engine

eye30 · 6 · 1418

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
 Technology has rendered lots of devices obsolete and the next victim could be the car key. From 2017 Volvo will become the first car manufacturer to offer cars that don’t use physical keys.

Instead, drivers will be able to unlock their vehicles using a smartphone app that connects wirelessly to the car using Bluetooth.

This digital key technology can be used to lock and unlock a vehicle and start the engine.

If you own more than one Volvo, the app can hold multiple digital keys.

The digital key has advantages when sharing a car. If you want to let someone else drive your car, you can send them a digital key via smartphone, bypassing the need to exchange a key in person.

:link: Volvo launches car that works without a key - BT
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Online The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Volvo won't have that to themselves for long. :victory:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline xiziz

• V.I.P

• se Sweden
      Varmland, Sweden
I thought they already offered it actually. I know they have had app-remote for fuel pre warmers for a long time.
  • Ioniq Electric MY2019 88kw

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
The Bluetooth phone app might be a new idea but the functionality of auto doors and engine starting via a Wi-Fi fob key has been around for years, one of my friends has a custom 1997 VS ute which has had auto electric door poppers and remote starting for the last 10 years.

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
When I was in Canada, quite a few years ago now, we used to get up in the morning and use a remote to start the engine 5 minutes before we were setting out...  Nowt new there then....

We would drive to Wall Mart and plug the car heater in at one of the many many pluggy inny places whilst we trailed round wall Mart.

If anyone opened a door or touched the brakes the car would stall instantly  :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob:  Then ya needed the key.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I have remote start inmy Calais. Haven't needed to use it in 2 years, except to show off to the Grandkids...
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal