i30 Owners Club

The Naked Beauty (i30cw 1.6 CRDi 85kW 6MT ISG Comfort + Auto AC)

saunaman · 57 · 22934

Offline penak

• 2nd Gear
Great car! I've never seen that chrome strips before. Looks great indeed in every detail.
Many happy kms :)

Tasmania is considered the coldest state in Australia
Just wondering if the word "heater" is included in Tasmania dictionaries :D

:lol: Yes definitely... but haven't heard of a car needing as extra (auxilliary) heater down here..

The stardard heater in most cars is more than enough....

Another Finnish i30CW CRDi Blue Drive owner here! Our's is ember red in colour, and brand new, was delivered on monday.

The standard heater in the i30 is good for at least -25 Celsius, but only after the engine has reached full coolant temp, and withouth pre-heater installed that will take literally ages. With pre-heater only few kilometers. When we went for a test drive to a local dealer, it happened to be one of those -25 celsius days, so we could ascertain that the car is good for cold weather :)

The aux cabin heater only works when the car is not running. It is powered by mains electricity (230V 50hz in most of Europe). It is used to pre-heat the car before driving. When there is -20 degrees Celsius outside, the car will be cold as an eskimo's grave even 5-10 kilometers from starting. With pre-heating it will be somewhat warm inside, and the windows will not be frosted.

All i30 CRDis sold to scandinavia have 1000W PTC heating elements inside the heating vents, so as soon as the engine is running and the alternator producing current, you get warm air to the windscreen. But you get more if the engine was pre-heated.

Normal procedure for us is switcing on all the possible electric load on the car at the startup, the PTC elements, rear window heater, mirror heaters, seat heaters. Those will load up the engine, so it will warm up faster.

Using the engine pre-heater is BTW recommended when the outside temperature drops below +10 degrees celsius. That is the point where you start saving more fuel than the worth of electricity used for pre-heating. What Saunaman said about the engine wear is also true, cold starting the engine from below freezing point temp can induce as much wear as driving 1000 kilometers. With pre-heater that extra wear is almost removed.

Offline penak

• 2nd Gear
Please excuse a silly question from someone who lives in a temperate climate, but are those studs on the tyres metal, plastic or what??? :eek:  I have never sen anything like that before.  Mind you, I have only seen snow about half a dozen times in my 'short' life.

The studs are metallic, they used to be made of hardened steel, but nowadays their outer body is some alumium alloy and only the core/tip is hardened. This makes the stud much lighter and friendlier to the road surface.

Here's an image from Nokian Tyres, the square-shaped stud used in Hakkapeliitta 5 tire:

The core in the stud is not only hardened, but it is made of tungsten carbide, the same material used on stone drill bits. Mere hardened steel would not last very long...

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Hey penak!  Welcome to the forums and thanks for the extremely fascinating explanation of the heating system that you enjoy/endure in your Scandinavian vehicles :D

• Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Yes, Welcome Penak... Very interesting.. Enjoy your new car look forward to more of your posts..  :D
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline saunaman

• 3rd Gear

• fi Finland
      Marttila
Another Finnish i30CW CRDi Blue Drive owner here! Our's is ember red in colour, and brand new, was delivered on monday.

Welcome to the club penak. After reading the above posts from you, I can sense overwhelming expertise on explaining technical details... which I am not very good at.

Just out of curiosity, how long did you have to wait for your car?

Offline penak

• 2nd Gear

Welcome to the club penak. After reading the above posts from you, I can sense overwhelming expertise on explaining technical details... which I am not very good at.

Just out of curiosity, how long did you have to wait for your car?

Only three weeks from order. Ours was made to order, a factory FIFA '10 sponsorship campaign of a short serie where the reversing "radar" was included in the price.
We could have taken delivery of the car immediately, there already were 4 of the colour and model we wanted in the importer, but we chose to wait for the "special", since we got the "radar" for free with it.

This is my wife's second Hyundai, the previous one was a '05 Getz CRDi, which was our first car in 30 years withouth a single malfunction or fault during the whole 115 000 kilometers.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

This is my wife's second Hyundai, the previous one was a '05 Getz CRDi, which was our first car in 30 years withouth a single malfunction or fault during the whole 115 000 kilometers.

That's interesting we have never had a Getz CRDi in Australia.. The Getz is a great little car (we had a 2006 1.6 petrol)

Enjoy your new hyundai... :D

Offline saunaman

• 3rd Gear

• fi Finland
      Marttila

Couple more pictures of the Naked Beauty. If you look carefully you may notice that I've already pimped my ride - the towbar ball cover is now in chrome!  :lol:

Offline penak

• 2nd Gear
Heh!

You must have a car wash right around the corner. In the current conditions, the car will be absolutely soiled after just a couple of kilometers :)

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Heh!

You must have a car wash right around the corner...

Nah - I just think he's good with photoshop :lol:  :wink: :wink:
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline saunaman

• 3rd Gear

• fi Finland
      Marttila
Heh!

You must have a car wash right around the corner...

Nah - I just think he's good with photoshop :lol:  :wink: :wink:

Yep, that corner is only 100 kms away  :D... All you need to keep your car clean is just to drive with speed where your tires do not touch the ground any more. :wink:

Offline dendik

• 2nd Gear

• I30 ES VB
I have a timer-controlled power outlet, which allows heaters to start 2 hours before hitting the road.

Great car  :exclaim:, like your winter features!

Offline snowcherry

• 6th Gear
  • queenslands most feminine

• au Australia
      Gympie

• thunder wishes it could be the snow
    • My Fuelly
great little car (and pics).
i've never heard of pre-heating either - fascinating!  :)
  • SR AUTO 2.0 Petrol Hatch

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P
  • Keeping it in the family!

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen

Offline SRT Metro

• 6th Gear
  • i30CW 2.0 CRDi, 2009

• se Sweden
      Halmstad, Sweden

• Halmstad, Sweden's Riviera

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

You take a lovely photo M8  :razz: Certainly a nice "motor"  :mrgreen:

Offline Hemmi

• V.I.P

• is Iceland
      Reykjavik, Iceland

• Reykjavik, Iceland & Monda, Spain

Offline babis_xo

• V.I.P
  • 6* dummy

• gr Greece
      Body lives in Athens, heart in Thessaloniki

• ...em ot keerG lla s'ti

Offline Mutley

• 4th Gear
  • Woof!

• au Australia
      Melbourne

• Fiery Red 2019 Premium!
    • Mutley Productions

Offline Dogga

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne, Australia

• I'm Free..........
I love the rear bumper....don't go marking it putting on your trailer.
  • 2011 SLX CRDi Sleek Silver

Offline saunaman

• 3rd Gear

• fi Finland
      Marttila
I love the rear bumper....don't go marking it putting on your trailer.

Today the rear looks bit different - last weekend I accidentally cracked the plastic lid of trailer power socket. I replaced the broken socket with shiny metallic socket assembly couple days ago. I hope it'll last bit longer...

Offline Dogga

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne, Australia

• I'm Free..........

Offline Thrais

• 2nd Gear
    • My Flickr
Great looking ride and awesome pics!
Too bad we don't get any of those winterizing features here in Canada...
I'll have to get winter tires this Fall... unfortunately studded tires are not sold / are illegal here.

Offline aktuls

• 2nd Gear

• fi Finland

• i30cw 1,6 CVVT 5MT ISG, Champange Silver
Saunaman, great pics indeed!
However its rather peculiar where the socket is placed in the front of the car  :rolleyes:

Here's attached a pic how they did it with my i30cw, which I think is more discrete.

I'm looking to place the Defa interior warmer unit under the glovebox, I think attached to the console is where it is going to get constantly kicked by my woman or its in the way of her handbag (in Finland we have this thing called "hellasärö") - just trying to prevent such misfortune happening  :P

[deleted]

Offline saunaman

• 3rd Gear

• fi Finland
      Marttila
Saunaman, great pics indeed!
However its rather peculiar where the socket is placed in the front of the car  :rolleyes:

Here's attached a pic how they did it with my i30cw, which I think is more discrete.

I agree, placing the socket next to the registration place in lower grille would have been more discrete. However, the good thing in its current placing is that you can find it easily even in the dark... (trying to be positive  :))

I'm looking to place the Defa interior warmer unit under the glovebox, I think attached to the console is where it is going to get constantly kicked by my woman or its in the way of her handbag (in Finland we have this thing called "hellasärö") - just trying to prevent such misfortune happening  :P

The side of center console is quite perfect place for the slim model -  it does not take that much space there and the warm air flows quite evenly to the whole cabin. If you place it deeper into the legroom, it is more likely to get  occasional kicks and the heat distribution may not be as good. Having said that, I did consider the same place you are thinking, too.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal