i30 Owners Club

Removing DRL covers?

Offline Spud.Webb

• 1st Gear

• Australia
Hi everybody,

Long time listener, first time caller. Already found a few handy things in here before joining so thanks for being such a useful forum!

I'm doing a few bits and pieces on my 2017 PD; and one of the things I have planned is 'painting' the DRL covers (using yellow Dupli-Color Metalcast). I've done a bit of research before deciding on that option and have a solid idea of what to do, BUT I'm obviously a little nervous about the painting itself. I'd rather remove the DRL covers so I can spray them more cleanly and accurately and obviously avoid having to mask the front of the car.

So, does anyone know if/how you can remove the DRL covers, or is it all one piece?

Thanks heaps!
  • 2017 PD 5 Door Hatch, Petrol 2.0lt, Auto, Black

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
You could also paint with plasti dip spray paint, don’t have to mask off much as the over spray peels off, I’d also be nervous if painting in yellow though :snigger:

Offline Spud.Webb

• 1st Gear

• Australia
You could also paint with plasti dip spray paint, don’t have to mask off much as the over spray peels off, I’d also be nervous if painting in yellow though :snigger:
Thanks mate! Definitely a handy tip to keep in mind.

Yeah, 50/50 chance I don't paint at all tbh, and the yellow is due to the laws in Melbourne saying they have to be either white or yellow.

Plus, the yellow can look kinda cool I reckon... (Couldn't find a good i30 example in my quick look).

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I thought it was the surrounds you were wanting to paint, not the lenses itself, plasti dip isn’t suitable for that.

If they are DRL lights I believe they must stay a clear lenses, fog lights can be yellow and only used in fog situations.

Offline Spud.Webb

• 1st Gear

• Australia
I thought it was the surrounds you were wanting to paint, not the lenses itself, plasti dip isn’t suitable for that.

If they are DRL lights I believe they must stay a clear lenses, fog lights can be yellow and only used in fog situations.
Ahhhhh right! It's been hard to find exact info tbh, so the bits and pieces I found about "white or yellow" might not be totally correct.

Thanks for the heads up!

Offline Spud.Webb

• 1st Gear

• Australia
Well, it does look pretty cool on an i30 at least. Does this car happen to belong to anyone on the forum here? And if so, did you ever get in trouble or was it all ok?

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal