i30 Owners Club

Elantra Touring: change remote door unlock mode from two-stage to central unlock

brolin · 2 · 5764

Offline brolin

• 1st Gear

• ca Canada
      Metro Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Hello,

I have a red 2010 Hyundai Elantra Touring (marketing name for the i30cw, 2009 to 2012 inclusive model years in Canada and the USA, with the 2.0L I4 naturally-aspirated spark-ignition engine, not GDI as the sole engine) GLS Sport Edition with 5-speed manual transmission.  Currently the unlock button on the remote control functions in two stages: the first press unlocks only the driver’s door, then the second press unlocks the other doors.  I want the first press to unlock all of the doors at once.  Apparently what I want is called central door unlock mode.  I redd the user’s manual for the vehicle and searched the Internet but the closest I found is instructions for the Elantra (3-box design, i.e., with a
trunk) that seem to not work for my Elantra Touring.  The instructions I found for the Elantra say to press and hold both the lock and unlock buttons at once on the remote control to switch between two-stage unlock mode and central unlock mode.  I found this page with the instructions for the 2010 Elantra that do not seem to work for my 2010 Elantra Touring:

:link: Hyundai Elantra: Unlock (2) - Remote keyless entry system operations - Remote keyless entry (if equipped) - Features of your vehicle - Hyundai Elantra MD

So, can I do what I want with my Elantra Touring and, if yes, then how
do I do it?

Thank you,
Brolin

I sent basically the same message as above to my local Hyundai dealer, who replied:

Hello
From the sounds of things the Elantra Touring platform you own is considered a 4th generation.
 Unless it states in the owners manual this might not be an option you have on your vehicle. What you are looking for is called 1 press and 2 press unlock. 
On some older Hyundai models we have access to an option on our Dealer specific scan tools.  This would allow us to change certain options in your Body Control Module.  We could attempt to access this for you and see if this would be possible to change this setting.  There will be no way to tell if it will work unless we access the Body Control Module. 
Please let us know if you would like to book an appointment to try and correct this for you.  There would be a charge of 42$ (CAD) which is .3 of an hour to perform this service for you.

That was in 2020 September but I still never had the dealer try it because I did not want to spend money on it unless I knew it would work.  I searched this forum but did not find anything that looked relevant so here I am.  I only used Google Search, though, not the search function of the forum software, guess I should have tried both search functions.
  • 2010 Elantra Touring (i30cw) GLS Sport Edition, 5-spd man., 2L I4 spark-ignition

Offline sundiz

• Technical Advisor

• fi Finland
      Helsinki
I think best changes getting that feature to work, would be dealer BCM software change. If it works... only way is to try it. Not too many members have GDS. Even fewer have the multiplexer between computer and car.
  • i30 cw 1.6crdi -08

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal