i30 Owners Club

why use double fillament globes?

2i30s · 26 · 5670

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
this is a weired one. the wife's cw blew a brake light globe today so i changed it after work for her. that's not the weired bit. when i removed the entire tail light assembly and removed the blown globe, i noticed that the globe isn't a single filament globe its double. i also noticed the park lights are also double. it makes no sense as to why, because the top half of the tail light is park light, and the bottom part is brake light only.  :scared:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

carib
this is a weired one. the wife's cw blew a brake light globe today so i changed it after work for her. that's not the weired bit. when i removed the entire tail light assembly and removed the blown globe, i noticed that the globe isn't a single filament globe its double. i also noticed the park lights are also double. it makes no sense as to why, because the top half of the tail light is park light, and the bottom part is brake light only.  :scared:

Hi 2i30s.

As you can see here (Reply #5), I can confirm that about the park (or presence) lights. About the brake light, I didn't know that they are double! I will see later.

Regards,

carib

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
i cant understand why the globes are double but only one half the globe works.  :confused:

Offline blumf

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom

• 2010 UK i30 Premium 1.6p man.
Rear fog lights? (can't remember which bits light up when off hand)

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
my i30s are Australian delivered cars. i wonder if they just remove fuses to dissable certain lights on our cars.  :idea:

carib

Hi blumf.

Not in mine.

I told that on the same post (Reply #10).

Regards,

carib

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
why not go to your Hyundai Dealer, ask for new replacement globes, see what they give you. If it's double ask them why, if it's single, ask them why it came with double. when my two head lights blew globes one week apart, i got replacements from my Hy dealer.
i've never blown a brake like globe yet  83,000k i use hand brake to hold car still at lights & in traffic, keeping your foot on brake in traffic blows globes. i use the brake till i come to a stop then use hand brake. last car had over 200,000k no globes needed replacing.

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
It would be much more cost effective to keep one type of bulb on the bill of materials than two. It's quite probable they pay the same price for either bulb type.

carib

Hi blumf.

Not in mine.

I told that on the same post (Reply #10).

Regards,

carib
Hi.
It's easier with pictures.

Sorry for the bad quality and bad design, but the photographer is bad, and the designer is awful. :-[

1 - This is obvious;

2 - Night light (or park).
      This, from the factory. Now, also the brake light;

3 - Same as 2;

4 - Flasher;

5 - Reversing Light;

6 - Brake Light (just have only one filament);

7 - Reflector;

8 - Rear fog lamp.
      Here in Portugal, it is mandatory to have only one on the left or center. (I do not know the laws in other countries).
      On CW, there are two, and I prefer it.

And now, all lights on. :mrgreen:

Regards,

carib

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
i cant understand why the globes are double but only one half the globe works.  :confused:

If you reverse the bulb in the fitting does the other filiment work?
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

carib

If you reverse the bulb in the fitting does the other filiment work?

Hi eye30.

That was impossible, because this kind of lamps there are two diferents Watts (usually 5W to presence and 21W to brake) and have only one possible position to enter in the room. (sorry the English).

Regards,

carib

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

Yea, the pins are offset to stop you pushing the bulbs in the wrong way around.

Also for anyone else reading this the wiring of the rear light clusters can vary a bit from country to country, mostly I think with regard to where the brake lights are, and the presence of a fog light.

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
also lorian,you cant swap a double filament globe for a single filament globe because the end of the globe has different contact points.one is double,the other is single.  :idea:

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

also lorian,you cant swap a double filament globe for a single filament globe because the end of the globe has different contact points.one is double,the other is single.  :idea:

Yes thats a good point, the car would need the right socket.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

Unless I missed it , why the double filiment?

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Unless I missed it , why the double filiment?

Don't think we have an answer yet?
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

I think it's because in some markets the 5w fillament is wired and working as a rear tail light.  I think it is here in the UK, at least on the hatch.

I think there is more country variations on the CW, and elantra Touring.

carib

Hi.

If this is incomprehensible, more incomprehensible (not to mention stupid) is what is happening with my Opel Corsa.

It seems incredible, but that's what happens in reality! I hope to explain well.

Here is a picture:

1 - With only one filament, is presence light and brake light (yes, I'm not mistaken!)

2 - With two filaments, it's just presense light, not having contact to the brake light filament.

Where is the logic of having a dual-filament lamp in which only one works and have another with a single filament and dual-purpose (presence and brake) by varying the intensity of current for the brake light function?!

WHO KNOWS? I don't...

Regards,

carib

Offline ZS-UK

• 1st Gear
Could be the i30 lights up more than one section of light under emergency braking.  The Vectra does this - on normal braking only one section of the tail light is used for braking, the other for tail lights.  Under emergency braking both sections come on brightly.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Welcome ZS-UK .. It is certainly possible!
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear
  • LOOK AT ME, LOOK AT ME!!!

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld
dunno... you will probably find in different markets they wire up the lights differently...

say fog lights VS no fog lights, 5 brake lights vs 2, 5 park lights vs 2, 2 brake 5 park!!

i got the shits, and changed the wiring so they all light up on park, and all light up on brake!

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

Could be the i30 lights up more than one section of light under emergency braking.  The Vectra does this - on normal braking only one section of the tail light is used for braking, the other for tail lights.  Under emergency braking both sections come on brightly.

Can you explain how the car would know it was emergency rather than normal braking?

My guess is it would be something like the initial pressure applied to the brake but that would not always be the case if you are heavy footed.

carib
Emergency braking is detected by the speed and amount of pressure with which the pedal is pressed. Quite often nowadays cars flash their indicators when this happens.

I have set of the EBA in a Vauxhall Astra (and it saved me having an accident that I would been at fault for). It's unmistakable when it takes over the braking, it was pretty violent.

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

Quote from: carib

Hi.

For this to work, it is necessary that the second filament was connected.
It was not the case in my CW. They were connected by me.

In the case of the Corsa, I've been told (can not confirm because I never seen any do it) that in case of sudden braking when ABS is activated, the brake lights flash automatically. This is not documented in the user manual.

Regards,

carib

Carib said this, some stoopid mod deleted it by mistake (me :rolleyes:).

Eye -  I believe its a combination of speed and pressure on the pedal. I set it of on a hired astra a while back, and it saved me having an accident, but was quite a violent experience. To the driver and passenger it felt a bit like hitting something. Pull me up just short of having an (at fault) accident.

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
dunno... you will probably find in different markets they wire up the lights differently...

say fog lights VS no fog lights, 5 brake lights vs 2, 5 park lights vs 2, 2 brake 5 park!!

i got the shits, and changed the wiring so they all light up on park, and all light up on brake!
it could be as simple as an empty fuse in the fuse box.  :idea:

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear
  • LOOK AT ME, LOOK AT ME!!!

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld
no... the wiring is physically not connected unfortunatly! its easy enough to do tho! i do reccomoend it, its a 5 min mod that sets the car apart from others!

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal