i30 Owners Club

Instrument Panel Glow Plug indicator Problems

Offline Terrytraveller

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Swindon, Wiltshire
    • Photo Album
I have a continuing problem with above indicator malfunctioning, the fault did not affect the car starting as normal, the light would sometimes show with the rest of the indicators when first switching on the ignition.
First time the problem was reported and rectified with no explanation, the second time it was fixed, I was informed that it was a known problem and Hyundai modifications made to the grounding were carried out, also a new relay was fitted.
The indicator has failed again, it does not illuminate when first switching the ignition on during the instrument panel bulb check phase,  which seems to suggest the bulb has failed – so I wonder if anyone knows the procedure for replacing the Instrument Panel indicators?
Any info will be appreciated – especially if anyone else has had problems with the Instrument Panel indicators.
Regards Terry
  • 2009 1.6 CRDi Comfort Estate

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Welcome Terry.. Not a common problem on here anyway.. have had one or two glow plug failures which cause excessive smoke until fixed .. but not the light (unless it is failing and people aren't noticing??)

We did over 68,000 kms in our first CRDi without really bothering to wait for the glowplugs and never caused an issue with the car (always started 1st pop) I probably wouldn't have noticed if the light hadn't come on... :-[
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Alasama

• 5th Gear

• tw Taiwan
      Taoyuan County
So far never heard about this issue in my place. But the dealer must take this responsibility to find root cause & fix it definitely.

Offline Terrytraveller

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Swindon, Wiltshire
    • Photo Album
Hi Dazzler & Alasama,
Thanks for your comments - I've booked it in to the local Hyundai garage to sort out next week - and will post the remedial action they take. Okay on glow plug failures causing exhaust to smoke, must admit no detectable smoke from the exhaust on mine at any time. I tow a caravan with my 1.6 CRDi and find it a gutsey little car, returning around 30 mpg towing and around 50 to 60 mpg solo. The outfit is very stable even in high winds and maintains legal roadspeeds almost all the time. Picture of the outfit is on on -
Hyundai & Pegasus
Regards Terry

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
Yep that's a nice set up ya got there....  Hope yer all sorted after Hy have had a look for ya  :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

HI again Terry.. a CW  :goodjob: (That is what the wife has too) ..

The i30 is very stable in the wind for a small to medium car. That is a relatively big van to tow with a 1.6 motor (even a CRDi) I reckon your caravan toting friends must be impressed  :mrgreen:

Offline Terrytraveller

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Swindon, Wiltshire
    • Photo Album
Hi Dazzler, most of my fellow caravanners use a 4 x 4 these days, the  Santa Fe is a very popular choice to tow a caravan, and there is some suprise when they see the little i30 arrive on site with the Pegasus. I was delighted to find that towing in 50 to 60 mph gusts didn't cause to much deviation, even if a large truck passed, it didn't cause the rig to sway in any alarming fashion at all, I put the amazing stability down not only to the i30 estate, but also the ATC fitted to the caravan - see link http://al-koatc.co.uk/pages/faqs.htm .
Regards Terry

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

That's a neat Idea and a nice looking van you have too.. The Rear suspension in the CW is coping ok with the load then?

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
I tow a caravan with my 1.6 CRDi and find it a gutsey little car, returning around 30 mpg towing and around 50 to 60 mpg solo. The outfit is very stable even in high winds and maintains legal roadspeeds almost all the time. Picture of the outfit is on on -
Hyundai & Pegasus
Regards Terry

Very impressive, Terry..... :goodjob:

No issues with Hyundai and/or your insurance re exceeding towing capacity?  :undecided:

Offline Terrytraveller

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Swindon, Wiltshire
    • Photo Album
Hi Rusty – Thanks for your interest and concerns. I did anticipate your concerns Rusty and to that end published the weights and capacities on my family photo album site link, you can see I am well within the weights and capacities allowed by law in the UK, but not perhaps within the recommendations of our caravan club for inexperienced drivers  http://www.flickr.com/photos/datacard/5987213551/# The caravan nose weight is always checked with a gauge and kept between 70 and 75 kg, within Hyundai’s recommendation and no pendulum effect is perceptible when towing.  Even before fitting the coil spring assistors as on link http://www.springassisters.co.uk/menu.htm  , look for the rubber coil spring assistor, the loading of the i30 with caravan etc... did not show any distress.
Regards Terry

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Hi Terry.....

The reason I asked about any issues with Hyundai is because in Oz the towing capacity of the i30 CRDi is 1200 kg's braked....

I wrongly assumed that was the same worldwide....  :oops:

I see you get a 1400kg limit in the UK.....  :goodjob:

Offline Terrytraveller

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Swindon, Wiltshire
    • Photo Album
Just brought the car back from Hyundai - their sparks checked out the problem with the instrument panel no show glow plug indicator, and cannot say with conviction what is causing the fault. It is a hard fault which is the best sort of fault to have, I've found in my 50 years as a electo mechanical service technician. They suggest it could be the ecu or wiring problem, and would like to wait to see what develops  :sweating:

They have found the glow plugs are being powered up when the ignition is switched on, and the power to the glow plugs is dropped after a short delay.  I can also hear the relay dropping off, at the same time as all the other precheck panel indicators switch off. If anyone out there has had a similar problem I would really like to hear from you.

Regards Terry

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
At least, having been in the trade they can't waffle on and confuse ya  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Hope it get sorted soon Terry

Good luck

Asa

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal