i30 Owners Club

Screeching noise

Youngie · 10 · 5373

Offline Youngie

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Edinburgh
Hi Guys,

I recently bought my i30 for a run around for work. I have encountered a very annoying issue with it and looking for some help to solve the problem,

When i turn the car on there is a screeching sound, this normally last a few minutes when idle, it goes away and comes back so i got a new drive belt and tensioner pulley fitted.

After 2 days the screeching is back and is louder and constand, it does go away no matter how long i drive for, seems to increase when i accelerate. Anybody have some soloutions to get this to stop before i get a massive bill from a garage.

I know very little about cars

Thanks
  • 1.6 Active Blue Drive Crdi (62 plate)

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
I assume that a mech said that was the problem and had them replaced ?
What does mech say ??
Manual or auto ?
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline Youngie

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Edinburgh
Its a manual,

Said its just a process off elimination! It could be either one of the pullys? Once the tensioner and new belt were on it stopped the noise for a day or 2 and then it came back
  • 1.6 Active Blue Drive Crdi (62 plate)

Offline sundiz

• Technical Advisor

• fi Finland
      Helsinki
It might still be cheaper to take the car to a mechanic. Changing random parts and guessing can become expensive. You need a car stethoscope to point out where the sound is coming. Also if you put poor quality belt on it, it can make noise even when new.
  • i30 cw 1.6crdi -08

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
It might still be cheaper to take the car to a mechanic. Changing random parts and guessing can become expensive. You need a car stethoscope to point out where the sound is coming. Also if you put poor quality belt on it, it can make noise even when new.
I think that" process of elimination" was mech .  :eek:

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
old trick is to use water. Dribble it onto a belt or idler a/c, Alternator etc. See what stops making the noise.
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
old trick is to use water. Dribble it onto a belt or idler a/c, Alternator etc. See what stops making the noise.
Bet some old frll told you that one   :goodjob: :lol:

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD

Yep, everythink I noz wuz tol to me by old frlls who I cant rememba no more.  :scared:
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia

Yep, everythink I noz wuz tol to me by old frlls who I cant rememba no more.  :scared:
Even used my typo    :rofl: :rofl:   :goodjob:

Offline BrendanP

• Technical Advisor

• gb United Kingdom
      East Midlands
Is it the same noise as my diesel was making?

:link: Screeching hyundai diesel - YouTube

It is very intermittent, has done it about 4 times in the last 6 months. Mentioned it when it went in for a recent service but they didn't find anything other than loose heatshield. Very difficult to diagnose what it is because it happens so rarely. It didn't sound as though it was coming from the drive belt end of the engine.
  • i30 CRD

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal