i30 Owners Club

Boot Button and surrounding trim - Wagon GD

Offline slick

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
I've been looking at replacing button and surrounding area as the plastic black trim surrounding it has been crumbling away as I touch it. I have no idea why thisnis happening on my wagon. I'm concerned I will have problems with opening boot soon or the actual button will fall out...

First thing I've been told is that on GD the buttons are the same between wagon and hatch. That doesn't seem to be the case. I've seen numerous button listing on ebay and aliexpresa but just the button and not surrounding trim.

Here's a couple of pics to illustrate - white is my wagon GD elite 2015 and silver GD active 2012 (not having any issues with this car boot button - just for comparison).

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

• 2012 i30 CRDi Active Hatch (GD) + 2015 i30 CRDi Elite Tourer (GD)

Offline pidim

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

Offline FourthHorseman

• 1st Gear
I've been looking at replacing button and surrounding area as the plastic black trim surrounding it has been crumbling away as I touch it. I have no idea why thisnis happening on my wagon. I'm concerned I will have problems with opening boot soon or the actual button will fall out...

First thing I've been told is that on GD the buttons are the same between wagon and hatch. That doesn't seem to be the case. I've seen numerous button listing on ebay and aliexpresa but just the button and not surrounding trim.

Here's a couple of pics to illustrate - white is my wagon GD elite 2015 and silver GD active 2012 (not having any issues with this car boot button - just for comparison).

This is a pretty common problem. You can find replacements on ebay etc for a few dollars and its a very easy swap. I did it on mine, and im pretty sure that the one fitted to the car actually has a part number on it as well to help make sure you order the correct replacement. I did mine about 2 years ago, and no problems with the new part.
  • 2013 I30 CRDI

Offline slick

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
So if I take it all apart there is a part number? I'm worried due to plastic crumbling I won't be able to put it back until the part arrives. It's the top pic and if you zoom in you can see the plastic surrounding the switch is done for... my search so far has only found the button and not the surrounding bits

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Get down and intimate with https://partsouq.com and grab the part number.
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline slick

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Thanks so much for that side. I seem to have found that I need after lots of searching... 81260A6200

Offline FourthHorseman

• 1st Gear
So if I take it all apart there is a part number? I'm worried due to plastic crumbling I won't be able to put it back until the part arrives. It's the top pic and if you zoom in you can see the plastic surrounding the switch is done for... my search so far has only found the button and not the surrounding bits

When mine did it, it was just the plastic/rubber coating over the actual button that was coming away (the black stuff). Under that coating is a white plastic bit that presses on a microswitch. I had the black stuff come away and could clearly see the white plastic underneath. I could still use it fine, and the white plastic underneath was not brittle when it happened to me.
  • 2013 I30 CRDI

Online The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
I can offer a custom 3D printed solution for cost+post to anyone willing to provide me with some basic dimensions:
:link: STL file Kia Rio Boot Release Switch Repair 👢・Design to download and 3D print・Cults
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal