i30 Owners Club

Diesel engine oil capacity

baroudeur · 41 · 17568

Offline baroudeur

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
After my i30 had its first dealer service last May I noticed that the engine oil level was way above the full mark and the invoice shows 5.3 litres which agrees with the Owner's manual.
I have just had the second service done and, again, the oil level is above the full mark.
I tend to be fussy about these things and, although 0.3 litres is unlikely to be detrimental I can't understand how these things slip through the system.
And, of course, I am paying for oil I don't need just like the windscreen fluid that is always full so doesn't need a dealer top up at £3.50.

So, the question is has anyone else noticed this overfilling after a service?

I had a Hyundai Terracan in 2004 and the same thing occurred with that.  That was also was listed at 5.3 litres but was overfilled at the first service.  As I was caravanning in those days I did an intermediate oil and filter change and by adding a little at a time after the  first 4 litres I discovered that exactly 5 litres brought the level to the full mark.  The second dealer  service had the same result and I complained about it.  Subsequent services on that car and my second Terracan were fine with the level at the full mark and I believe there was a bulletin advising dealers of this.

Any comments?.

Wittendorff
I've only changed oil on mine once and 5 L equals the full mark. I think that's the common experience.

/Jakob

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Like you say, full capacity of the CRDi is supposed to be 5.3 but mine never took more than 5ltrs at any service.

I supplied 6 at the first service but got a full litre back.

It appears that the residual oil left when drained must equate to about .3Ltrs
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Eureka

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
I have changed the oil several times in my 2007 CRDi.  The most I have ever put in would be 5 litres. 

I have never found it easy to check the oil level.  In other, non-diesel cars, I have checked oil levels with the engine cold and the oil level was very clear on the dipstick.  The oil level seems to be less clear/precise on the CRDi's dipstick.

When draining the oil, I don't think I get as much as I had put in, so I guess it uses a bit (not enough to be a concern).
  • SX crdi manual 2007

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
The extra 300 ml doesn't do any harm, don't lose any sleep over it. :wink:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
5.3l here as that's what hy state & guy I went to always put 5.3. have to also remember the oil filter is upside down. so some oil will run out of it when left standing best to check when warm and short time after you turn off motor. they all state don't over fill as could damage motor but that's just what they all state. a small amout over don't hurt. I saw a guy in USA when I was there miss understand measurement & filled a V8 diesel motor completely up think was close to 20L? and started it bang

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
That's right, oil, like other liquids is incompressible, so if you fill up the space where the crank rotates, you're going to blow the sump right off. Most likely, when built from  new there is no residual oil present in the motor, so 5.3 is required. In use at oil change, there will be some oil on any horizontal surfaces and valleys which doesn't drain away, so 5 L is most likely enough. 300 ml  distributed over the sump area probably amounts to a few mm rise in sump level.

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
As stated, capacity 5.3.
My mechanic has only ever put in 5.0 to the full mark.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear
  • LOOK AT ME, LOOK AT ME!!!

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld
in my 1.6 diesel i put 5.5L and it takes it to just over, like 1mm...

as stated above the oil filter housing holds a fair bit, and it has to fill after you start it...

just remember, rather too much, than too little!

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
only service I got 5-3 ltrs of oil in and didn't go over the fuel mark,was when I let the sump drain overnight,I cleaned every skeric of oil out of the filter canister,every other time have only used 5 ltrs which has taken it to the full mark.
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
I think we have discussed this issue before, and came to the conclusion that the 5,3 L was dry fill, and 5,0 was when changing the oil.

When I change on mine, I put in 5,0 liter, start the engine until oil pressure lamp turns off, and then wait at least 5 minutes before checking the oil level Again.

5,0 liters allways reach the top mark of the oilstick.  :goodjob2:
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Only service the dealer has used just 5 litres was the 15,000k service. Every other service they have used some from the extra litre bottle I supply.  :undecided:

Perhaps they are topping up their own cars?  :lol:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
 :goodjob: :snigger:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
Only service the dealer has used just 5 litres was the 15,000k service. Every other service they have used some from the extra litre bottle I supply.  :undecided:

Perhaps they are topping up their own cars?  :lol:
Well if your going to supply them good quality oil why wouldn't they  :rofl:
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld
Every other service they have used some from the extra litre bottle I supply.  :undecided:

nah, they are just doing the proper fill!

Offline baroudeur

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
I think we have discussed this issue before, and came to the conclusion that the 5,3 L was dry fill, and 5,0 was when changing the oil.

When I change on mine, I put in 5,0 liter, start the engine until oil pressure lamp turns off, and then wait at least 5 minutes before checking the oil level Again.

5,0 liters allways reach the top mark of the oilstick.  :goodjob2:

I agree that the 5.3 litre is a dry engine fill so a filter and oil change only requires 5 litres.  On the dipstick 5.3 litres is about 10mm above the full mark.

What really annoyed me is that I stuck a  note on the rocker cover asking that only 5 litres of oil be used.  Yesterday, whilst I was out, a message was left  by the dealer asking if my service experience  had met my expectations.   I will respond on Monday.

Excess oil at £3.00  and windscreen wash that they didn't put in at £3.60............................... :confused:

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Quote from: baradeur link=topic=22592.msg241724#msg241724
just like the windscreen fluid that is always full so doesn't need a dealer top up at £3.50.

Any comments?.

You need to ask why you have been charged for a service you did not receive when you respond next week.

I would hazard a guess that they reply by saying that it is a mistake as the technician ticked a box but shouldn't have.

So you reply -specsavers
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Excess oil at £3.00  and windscreen wash that they didn't put in at £3.60............................... :confused:

I specifically requested that I didn't want windscreen wash added at my last service. I got sick of paying for it knowing it wasn't required as I fill the bottle with my own.
At least they listened.....

In spite of me telling them the air filter didn't need replacing as I run a K&N filter, it's listed as being replaced......
No charge listed for the filter so I'm assuming it actually wasn't.  :lol:
Just annoying that they can note on the invoice that I supplied all filters but they can't remove the "replaced filter element" from the list.....

And the environmental charge of $5.00 and workshop supplies fee of $2.50 shits me....Next they'll be charging me for the paper the invoice is printed on...  :lol:

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld
the workshop they guys at work go to charges a $9 environmental fee, and a $9 workshop consumables fee!!

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Costs must be higher in Queensland than down here in the sticks...  :lol:

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld

Offline baroudeur

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
Quote from: baradeur link=topic=22592.msg241724#msg241724
just like the windscreen fluid that is always full so doesn't need a dealer top up at £3.50.

Any comments?.

You need to ask why you have been charged for a service you did not receive when you respond next week.

I would hazard a guess that they reply by saying that it is a mistake as the technician ticked a box but shouldn't have.

So you reply -specsavers

I am on my fourth Hyundai since 2003 and right from the first car  I raised the question of why windscreen fluid was charged when the container was full to the brim.

Answer   -   it comes in a service pack  (like oil in 5.3 litre packs?)!!!!  Load of rubbish of course just the first  answer that comes to mind.  They think we are easily fooled.  I then asked "next time my car is serviced may I have the washer fluid pack you will not have used?"

This morning, after a run out, I drained off 350ml of engine oil through the dipstick hole with a suction gun.  Level is now on "full" mark.  What worries me is that the oil seems VERY black after 70 miles so I now wonder if it WAS changed?  :evil:

Offline Eureka

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
New oil in my CRDi goes black very, very quickly.  I don't know why, but it does.
  • SX crdi manual 2007

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
It's because Diesel engines swallow some of their own exhaust gas, to reduce nitrous oxide emissions, this gas contains soot. Controlled by the EGR valve, a source of much discussion and debate as to whether to disconnect, or not. :confused:

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
And also the last bit of old oil that's left in the sump discolours it.....

Offline Eureka

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
I am sure the remnants of the old oil have something to do with it but I'm guessing it might be more to do with what Phil says.  My previous vehicle was an XF ute.  I changed the oil in it many times and the new oil didn't discolour anything like the CRDi does.
  • SX crdi manual 2007

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
That may have had something to do with the sump plug location on the Foul Can too....  :undecided:

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld
b
New oil in my CRDi goes black very, very quickly.  I don't know why, but it does.

because its diesel...

notice how sooty the exhaust pipe is? well that goes past the rings into the oil a bit too...

Offline baroudeur

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom

I realise that as   I have had diesels since 1983.

Perhaps I should have qualified it and stated it is exceptionally black compared with previous oil changes.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
I check the colour of the oil in my car the day before the service and although it was a lighter shade of black, if you can have such a colour, the oil i had in the diesel at the same mileage/12 months was a blacker shade of black.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal