i30 Owners Club

Unlimited speed limit in the Northern Territory.

Offline Ugly Mongrel

• V.I.P
  • H.O.S. inmate

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld

• Sorry, but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
That'll be interesting,whats the bet if they do a random speed checking of who is doing what(somehow)the ones which will stick to lower speeds,110-130 will be the older more experienced drivers and it will be the younger ones who think they are invincible will be the ones pushing their cars to breaking point(figuratively hopefully)
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Not in favor of this. High speed limits require high speed road design and construction. There's nothing different about that stretch of road, that would allow such speeds to be safe. Some vehicles are still speed limited, so that will generate and force passing maneuvers, which increases the likelihood of an accident by misjudgment of speed. The only saving grace is it is out in the middle of nowhere. :fum:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
I remember years ago driving in the NT, before the speed limit was introduced.  The traffic would drive to the conditions, that meant at some stages it was 160 km/h, at others, 80 km/h.  I have no problems with this trial.  IIRC, it is in a place where there have been no speed related deaths i.e. the road is capable of handling those speeds.

Offline KylieR

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Bendigo, Victoria
    • MyWinterStorm83
I bet they see a reduction in the number of car accidents. Letting people choose their own speed is probably the best thing to do - people are likely to just stick to a safe speed, anyway.

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
I bet they see a reduction in the number of car accidents. Letting people choose their own speed is probably the best thing to do - people are likely to just stick to a safe speed, anyway.
Kylie, you are probably quite right.
Speed limits are there so the authorities can do something about the absolute imbeciles who "don't drive to a/ the conditions and b/ their ability.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal