i30 Owners Club

Hi from Darwin!

Offline no1hoarder

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Darwin
Not an i30 owner yet, but finding this forum invaluable (thanks to Dazz who seemed to be dropping the link on every relevant site he visited!)  :wink:

I am looking for a sensible "green" car, expect to be ready for it within the next few months, and heard about the i30 - I was surprised that Hyundai had come up with it, despite my own Excel LX being so economical and not giving me any trouble for 13 years (I thought it was just good luck and regular servicing... maybe it was!).  The more I read about the i30, the more convinced I am that it is the best way to go, for the initial price and the long-term benefits.

I noticed that our local drive away prices start from $19990 for petrol Hatch SX ($22500 for diesel SX hatch), though no special prices as yet for wagons, which I only heard of since being online today!
I believe in diesel and prefer manual transmission, and like the idea of the extra wagon space (and use of roof rails!), but unfortunately the SLX wagon (and Sportswagon) don't come in manual transmission!  So I'm thinking I may have to settle for a manual diesel SX wagon from $24000 + onroads, and accessorise/modify for some of those extras. I'm not into the cosmetic styling stuff, but would like some of the SLX controls and storage.  In the end, I just want a practical, reliable, and versatile car!

I don't suppose anyone has heard anything about a future release of SLX wagons in manual transmission?  I could hold off for a few months if I knew they would be available... Maybe too much to ask for, should be grateful with the choice we have already!

Someone on this forum recommended www.privatefleet.com.au so I rang them to get more info about their services.  Apparently after you've picked your new car specs, test-driven, got the best prices, etc, you contact them and for a one-off fee of $178 they will get the best price to have the same vehicle delivered to your door.  If they cannot beat the quote you started with, they will not charge you.  Sounds good to me, especially as in Darwin we only have the one Hyundai dealer!

I've also gathered via threads on this forum that automatic transmission and diesel vehicles hold their value better for resale, though my family do seem to have a hard time letting go of our vehicles, tending to keep them until they die of natural causes, so resale features may not be an issue!

Luckily I've got some time up my sleeve to make a decision, and plenty of cars in the showroom.  I'll keep reading and asking questions in the forum, so I can be very very specific when it comes to buying!

Happy driving! 8)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi M8 Dazz here..Welcome to the club ....

I actually visited one of our first Darwin Members Gurkah 17 last year... :D

He has a Manual Diesel... as do I

There is a possibility I will trade my SLX diesel on a CW (wagon) next year.. Like you I would want the manual (as it gives better economy than the 4 speed auto)

The SX can be optioned up quite nicely (if a higher level manual doesn't become available...)
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline no1hoarder

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Darwin
Thanks Dazz,
I just like driving a manual, feels like you're actually driving, not sitting in a showride...  :lol:
And better economy/ecology is always a bonus!
Will post how things turn out.
Cheers!

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Welcome no1Hoarder
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P
  • Keeping it in the family!

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
Welcome :D :D :D
  • Kia Sportage 3, 1.7 CRDi EcoDynamics

Offline Hemmi

• V.I.P

• is Iceland
      Reykjavik, Iceland

• Reykjavik, Iceland & Monda, Spain

Offline Blue

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Newcastle

• Newcastle, Oz
Welcome,

I loved the wagon too...  Mrs didn't.  End of that thought.  Settled for the hatch, and despite the dog dragging that dinosaur bone out of the wagon in the ad, I don't think there's THAT much difference between them.  Not enough to have to start looking for a new Mrs anyway !

Offline no1hoarder

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Darwin
Thanks everyone for the warm welcome.
Blue, good to hear you keeping the missus happy, hope the rest of you blokes are too!

I decided to settle for the hatch, reasoned that I would have been more than happy with it if I hadn't known about the cw.
Finance is settled, now just gotta pick a colour...  :eek:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I decided to settle for the hatch, reasoned that I would have been more than happy with it if I hadn't known about the cw.
Finance is settled, now just gotta pick a colour...  :eek:

Hi again #1,

So I guess you'll go for the Manual Diesel SLX then...You might even score one of the new colours ..  :D

Here's a heads up on colour choice..

I would have recommended Moonlight blue but unless you get showroom stock it has apparently been replaced with Sky blue (a much lighter "getz" colour)
Gun Metal Grey (which appears to be the most popular colour has been replaced by a different grey as well, apparently)
Black and to a lesser extent Red are popular overseas but less so in Aus due to fading issues (red) and maybe heat issues (black)
Vivid blue was slow to start with but is quite popular now...But if  I was choosing again I'd probably go White or Silver... :wink: :D

Offline GURKHA17

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Darwin

• Darwin,NT, Australia
Welcome to the club
Don't have a lot of members from the NT (very few active ones too)
I reckon blue... :P
see ya around

cheers

Offline no1hoarder

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Darwin
I missed the end of year sale!   :'(
Have been flat out with unexpected stuff to deal with and haven't had a chance to look into my options now, especially since my "trade-in" vehicle slipped the clutch just after my last post... I haven't even looked into whether I can get scrap metal prices for the old car, as it will cost more just to look at it than the vehicle is worth...  :rolleyes:

I'm still keen to buy, when I get a chance to make it my priority!  I hadn't seen the new choices of colours, though here in the constant heat, the lighter shades make a huge difference to internal temperatures, boring but practical.

If I keep procrastinating, maybe the SLX wagon will soon be available in manual!!!  :lol:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Hey #1..

Does your dealer ever have "$2000 minimum trade in offer" just an idea  :idea:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal