i30 Owners Club

Some good advice for buying a new or used car.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I often find this guy arrogant and smug, but this is not a bad video to watch if you are about to start car shopping.

I have bought over thirty cars over the last 40 years and must admit to making most of these mistakes at some stage.

I have learnt the hard way to now do most if not all the tricks he mentions but it is certainly a mine field!

I usually do a fair bit of research before hand and narrow the choices down, but I can be manipulated if I have my heart set on a particular car.

:link: Top 20 Ways to Beat a Car Dealer | Auto Expert John Cadogan | Australia - YouTube
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
They must love me because I do most of those.

I especally love using the misses, she is a woman who breaths fire if I don't get what I want, and no mate neither of us want her here  :happydance:
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

They must love me because I do most of those.

I especally love using the misses, she is a woman who breaths fire if I don't get what I want, and no mate neither of us want her here  :happydance:

Gee, I could use that one, without lying if Trish didn't usually come with me. She says stuff like "that's a joke, we aren't accepting that" ....

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
" Tell'im he's dreamin' "  :lol:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Slydog
Yeah he makes a lot of good points in that video.

Pretty much everything you say and do on a car yard is being assessed by the salesman.
If you walk around to multiple cars asking how much they can knock off, they will quickly peg you as someone looking to buy a discount and will treat you accordingly by marking up cars (used) without price tags just to give you the discount you want.

Thankfully with the internet these days alot of the bullshit can be avoided by doing your research, knowing what your car is actually worth rather than what you want for it or what they are asking for them online is very useful when trading in as it will tell you whether they are trying to lowball you.

"Stereotype alert" - Women were the worst for this-  Getting emotionally attached to the car they wanted. It's one of the worst things to do as your negotiation skills go to jelly when you want the car more than the salesman want a sale. I seen a 5 year old car sold for $3000 under what is was new due to being emotional and not being willing to shop around.
Needless to say I didn't agree with how that dealer worked and quickly left after 3 months.

But make a checklist of the things in that video for when you go car shopping and take someone with you to make sure you don't forget to check all the items off.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2017, 03:34:18 by Slydog »

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Yeah, I had roughly a month as a car salesman in the nineties.. (I hated it)  :spitty:

I learnt lots which I now use in reverse...  :evil:

For example, don't tell them what you don't like about your trade in... They will use that against you in your argument to not buy their car..

Obviously, I also know how they use a Sales Manager to tag team the poor buyer...  :fum:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal