i30 Owners Club

Catalytic Converter

Offline Warwick

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Toowoomba Queensland 4350
Hi fellow Forum Members,
My 2009 FD Sportswagon (2 litre petrol engine automatic transmission), now has 235,500 Kim on odometer & still has been without any real hassles until  very recently. The engine light came on, & a code check indicated a number one Oxygen Sensor problem. Replaced the No 1 Oxygen Sensor & 90 odd kilometres travelled & the Engine light illuminated on the dash again, indicating the Number 2 Oxygen Sensor coded a failure also, & a new No 2 Oxygen Sensor was fitted. Since then my i30 has travelled approx 190 kilometres & now the Engine light is glowing constantly & the code reader (every code indicated has been via a Hyundai dealer code reader), & now I am told the code is indicating that I should have the Catylitic Converter replaced. We do between 2,000  -   2,500 kilometres per year & really have not noticed any fuel consumption or performance problems with the vehicle. I am retired from the automotive and heavy diesel trade & as many of you know that it hurts to now having to pay for the labour component that we could have taken care of by ourselves in days past.
I would greatly appreciate any assistance in directing me to where I might be able to purchase a suitable  Catylitic Converter for a reasonable price, or is it possible to do an extractor type modification with a Catylitic Converter fitted also, then  on the other hand can the Catylitic Converter be reconditioned, as these days I am constantly amazed at what can be done in reclaiming components.
Kind regards,
Warwick.
  • 2009 i30 sports wagon 2 litre petrol automatic

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Depending on how bad it is :undecided: it might be possible to cook it clean by driving the car at high rpm's to get the cat hot enough to burn all the contamination out of it.

If that doesn't work then try a local Exhaust fitter, they usually keep some universal cats on the shelf for about $180/$220

You could also call Super Cat Converters :link: Super Cat Converters | Magnaflow Australia | Exhausts who will wholesale to the public.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi Warwick,

If you get no joy out of Craig's excellent suggestions, I wonder if it is possible to source a good second hand one from a wreckers yard. Plenty of relatively low mileage FD 2.0 i30's would have been wrecked I'm sure.   :cool:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Hi Warwick,

Plenty of relatively low mileage FD 2.0 i30's would have been wrecked I'm sure.   :cool:

You reading my mind?  :goodjob2: :goodjob2: :goodjob2: :goodjob2:

Edit.

However,  the O2 fault is often not the sensor but  caused by  fuel / intake anomalies. ( as I remember Tim also had the same reasoning).

To back this up, O2 bank 1 is situated before the cat.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2020, 03:14:42 by nzenigma »
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal