i30 Owners Club

Diesel [fuel] Filter

beerman · 27 · 13171

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Hello all,

Hyspairs are out of the diesel filter and won't be in stock for 3 weeks. Unfortunately at 28,888 the I30 will need a service before then. I remember someone saying that the Kia filter was the same. I have done a search without success. Can anyone point me in the direction of a part number and approximate cost?

Thanks.
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi Beerman,

There are two different filters for the CRDi the part number changed sometime in '09 and from memory the newer version is shorter and fatter..

The Kia Soul CRDi has the same motor as the i30 Crdi but not sure their filter changed at the same time..

My Feb 2008 CRDi used the earlier part number which was only about A$20 think the newer stubbier one is closer to A$30 from what I've heard.. From memory the Kia Fuel filter and Air filter used exactly the same part numbers as Hyundai but were cheaper.

I will try and find the part numbers on here and edit this post .. then if you can't find a Hyundai Dealer* near you with the right part or you think it is too dear try your local Kia Dealer..

* Our local Dealer needs your rego number to work out which filter part # is right for your car  :confused:

Older part number is 26320 2A001   (2007 to early 2009?)
Newer part number is apparently 26320 2A500 (I've got a feeling Kia only has this one - but could be wrong)
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Pip
I don't know the answer but just wanted to clarify that we are talking about diesel fuel filter; not oil filter. Yes?

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
Hi Beerman,

There are two different filters for the CRDi the part number changed sometime in '09 and from memory the newer version is shorter and fatter..

The Kia Soul CRDi has the same motor as the i30 Crdi but not sure their filter changed at the same time..

My Feb 2008 CRDi used the earlier part number which was only about A$20 think the newer stubbier one is closer to A$30 from what I've heard.. From memory the Kia Fuel filter and Air filter used exactly the same part numbers as Hyundai but were cheaper.

I will try and find the part numbers on here and edit this post .. then if you can't find a Hyundai Dealer* near you with the right part or you think it is too dear try your local Kia Dealer..

* Our local Dealer needs your rego number to work out which filter part # is right for your car  :confused:

Older part number is 26320 2A001   (2007 to early 2009?)
Newer part number is apparently 26320 2A500 (I've got a feeling Kia only has this one - but could be wrong)

Dazz, my march 08 build date CRDi uses the later filter. i checked the prices at Hyspares & the older longer filter was $16 the short one was $19. i wonder why they changed?

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Thanks John.. Wonder why the local Hyubdai dealer was stocking both styles then and making sure they sold the right one based on my build date?

No idea why they changed .. sounds like both will fit and as i said when I tried to get one from Kia where I got my Fuel Filter and Air Filter cheap they came out with the fatter shorter one which I rejected  :-[

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Actually I was talking about the diesel filter not the oil filter...

My mechanic did the oil change for $90 with filter (oil supplied by me) So I figure he isn't going to get much cheaper if I supply the oil filter (you have to give him some ability to make money!)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

In that case give me a sec and I'll find the Fuel Filter # (same # at Kia but was $30 cheaper when I got mine) :razz:

The part number is 319224H001..

See this old thread for more info

https://www.i30ownersclub.com/forum/index.php?topic=5487.msg59723#msg59723

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Anyone used a Ryco z707? I'm tempted to give it a run.....at $35.00 I can buy one and a carton of beer with the change from what Hyspairs want.

I've used Ryco for years so wouldn't be overly concerned about the quality.....

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Anyone used a Ryco z707? I'm tempted to give it a run.....at $35.00 I can buy one and a carton of beer with the change from what Hyspairs want.

I've used Ryco for years so wouldn't be overly concerned about the quality.....

i think it would be ok, but i think warranty requires the use of genuine hyundai service parts. also remember some early CRDi i30's had a problem were they would not rev past 3,000 & it was traced to the fuel filter, they changed and problem went away, but i think they changed the whole filter mounting not just filter itself.
 i think i'll stick with genuine

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
I'll say it again warranty CAN NOT specify the use of only Hyundai parts. This is a restraint of trade and therefore is not legal. The only way that the warranty can be affected is if that specific part is proven to have caused the fault. But then you would have strong grounds to go the supplier of that part for the damage.

I would think a repuitable and well renound company such as Ryco (who supply a fair bit of OEM parts themselves, even if they do spray them with a different brand) would be careful to ensure that their reputation was not tarnished by putting out rubbish. But in any event, I have emailed them to be sure that the filter is made to Hyundai specs.

If I do go with the Ryco I might get the old Hyundai filter and cut them both down when the car hits 60k (ie this time next year) would be interesting to see whats in them. In any event , it would be interesting to see just how much dirt is caught up in the filter.

Pip
.. it would be interesting to see just how much dirt is caught up in the filter.
Yes it would. I didn't replace mine at 30k... I'll assess again at 45k service.

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
As I understand it from my reading, a dirty filter filters better than a clean one (right up until blockage) so changing it too soon could actually be bad for the engine.

I use caltex vortex fuel from a new service station and punch through the k's quickly (hell I'm doing the 30k service 2 weeks shy of 12 months ownership), so I would be surprised if it was too bad. But I'm not prepared to take the risk to go past the 30k (especally when the Ryco filter is $40 delivered).

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Hi Beerman .. Worse case scenario if you did have the loss of power issue .. and Ryco couldn't sort it you could bite the bullet and buy a genuine Hyundai one...I waited until 60,000 to do mine  :winker:

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Whats the worst case seniro if you wait and the filter clogs up? Does the engine go into limp mode? or does the engine blow up?

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Whats the worst case seniro if you wait and the filter clogs up? Does the engine go into limp mode? or does the engine blow up?

I'm guessing gradual or not so gradual loss of power ..Can't imagine there is any way it would blow the motor  :eek:

Offline Ozzie5374

• 1st Gear
First of all - hi folks.
Geeze I wish my servicing costs were THAT cheap. I just had 90k service done on my 08 1.6 diesel at my nearest Hyundai dealer (I live in the country about 110km north of Adelaide in South Australia so there aren't many choices of service centres and it's still under warranty so I can't do it myself) and it cost $750. Just the fuel filter was about $130 ish. I'm glad it wasn't the petrol though coz THAT would have cost $1250 due to the petrol needing a timing belt change whereas mine has the non replaceable chain belt.
So why are Hyundai parts so dam expensive?

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Welcome Ozzie .. Of that $750 how much was labour? I think you would find that Pugeot, Subaru, Mazda and Honda parts would as dear or dearer (as mentioned in this thread you can substitute some Kia parts to save a few bucks and elsewhere on this forum, myself and other also suggest buying good fully synthetic oil on special for the dealer to use which should save you money as well)  :goodjob:

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
As I understand it from my reading, a dirty filter filters better than a clean one (right up until blockage) so changing it too soon could actually be bad for the engine.

I use caltex vortex fuel from a new service station and punch through the k's quickly (hell I'm doing the 30k service 2 weeks shy of 12 months ownership), so I would be surprised if it was too bad. But I'm not prepared to take the risk to go past the 30k (especally when the Ryco filter is $40 delivered).

are you more experienced with petrol beerman?
there is more than dirt you need to worry about with diesel, the guy i get to service mine has a lot of diesel experience, he told me to change the filter as its cheaper than changing the injectors if they wear or get damaged. i'll just stick to genuine hyundai the filter is easy to change if you know how. mine has been changed twice now and have 94,000k up will change next service. that story about brands backing there product is old as the hills, but i've never meet anyone in all the years i've been hearing that told, that has ever tried. but in the end filters just help stop wear and wear is not covered by any warranty that i know of only total failure or brakage. like if injectors on a diesel need replacing its going to cost a lot of money. i've spent $200 on diesel filters in three+ years not that bad.
cheers

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Either way the filter prevents the dirt from getting to the injectors.  I am opposed to paying $100 more for what is the same thing and Ryco are OEM for many vehicles, and I have been using them for 20 years on my vehicles, hence I do not think it will be an issue.

That said, you are welcome to spend more money on Genuine Hyundai ones. I have a feeling that should the problems come, it will be many k's down the line when even the 5 years offered by Hyundai has expired.

As an aside, I have seen excessive wear covered by warranty when it is above what is expected for the number of k's. The problem is finding it.....

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia

Beerman your right on that point, but problem is at some point the dirty filter will filter that well it will become so restrictive it will not flow fuel, but the main reason i stick to the genuine is i' ve had no trouble. i've seen guys with common rail diesels have lots of problems with fuel filters . some get rid of water better than others or should i say stop water & still flow fuel. when your filter gets too much water build up a warning light should come on then within a short time you need to replace the fuel filter or probably motor will shut down to avoid damage. i've had trucks shut down but they had drain and pump to pump water out the filter, these modern diesels don't have that. this is the main reason i change my fuel filter at about 35,000 as i'm always short of time & drive long distances in the i30 regularly so don't want to get stuck out in the wilds were i30 filters might be hard to find & it would cost me a lot more than $100.

Offline i30niko

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      ADELAIDE, SA, AUSTRALIA

You are right, I just picked up an oil filter from Hyundai for my 2010 i30 diesel, and it says 26320 2A500. Very pricey though $42. The Ryco equivalent was around $35 so if you think about it there's not a huge difference.
  • 2010 i30 diesel SX auto

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
It's possible to get genuine Hy oil filter for $24.00.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
My price was included with all the other filters & postage, so I don't know what an individual element would cost, probably close to your price Rusty. The main point is that you don't have to get ripped off by the dealers, we have other options.  :D
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline ryaz11

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
Hey Guys
I found this on ebay and i am about to do my 30,000km service.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/251075451724?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Is this worth buying?
And is the brand anygood?

Advice would be much appreciated
Thankyou ;)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

That is a great price for all three..  :goodjob: The owner of Sydney filters (Neil I think?) is a Member on here and several other members use his products and recommend them.

I haven't used them (we have a petrol i30) and I guess using non genuine parts is at your own risk  :confused:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal