i30 Owners Club

Discrepancy between "Service Passport" and Owners Manual

Guest · 9 · 5406

Steve Roe
Hi
I'm up to my 2 year 30,000 km service with quotes being from AU$600 to AU$700.
I'm confused about what should be carried out at this service.
The "service passport" contradicts the "i30owners manual"
I sent an email to Hyundai today (text below) regarding this and await their response.

I have a generic Hyundai service Passport which covers all Hyundai models.
I also have the Owners manual that came with my new i30 CRDi. The
recommended intervals for some of the filters are different in both books ie. The
generic Passport says replace fuel filter at 48 months - whereas the Owners
manual says replace every 24 months. The passport says to replace the engine
air filter every 24 months - whereas the Owners manual says replace every 36
months. The passport says to replace the engine coolant every 24 months -
the owners manual says to replace at 60 months then every 24 months after
that. I would of thought the Owners manual would be more accurate since it is
specific to the i30 and further segregates the engine types referring to the diesel
specifically. The Passport is simply a one page generic document covering all
passenger vehicals.Can you advise which one is correct please.

More details on this link since I can't attach a file this big to the forum.
 link that you'll have to paste.
https://sites.google.com/site/instroe/oil-selection

Steve

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Hi Steve, welcome to the forum :D

I've split your post from the "service cost" topic as your query is unrelated to cost, and is probably unique to the forum
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline spanishmike

• 2nd Gear

• es Spain
      Cartagena Spain

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon

Steve Roe
Still no work from Hyundai Australia after my email and a follow up phone call today where I left my number for them to call back. Anyway, I kept digging and found some incredible information relating to coolant change frequency on the Hyundai website. Now granted this is for the MY2012 model but would the same be true for prior years.
Take a look click on the i30 and a pdf file will download.

http://www.hyundai.com.au/Owners/Servicing/Scheduled-maintenance-and-service/Service-schedule-tables

Also saved on my site with my original service discrepancy document.

https://sites.google.com/site/instroe/oil-selection

Anyway it says: "Line 18, Engine coolant, Refer note (2) and in Remarks "Refer owners manual". Note 2 says "Replace coolant every 210,00 kms or after 120 months refer owners manual after that, every 30,000 km or 24 months Hyundai genuine part number AL003-500000"

So that's 10 years or 210,000 kms before the first coolant change!!!!!!!!!!!  I want some of that Glycol mix.

If you remember my original query encompassed the interval  between coolant changes, the "service passport " saying every 24 months or 45,000 kms, the" i30 owners manual" saying at 100,000 kms or 60 months. This potentially adds a 3rd variable into the mix. However I also note that the part number for the coolant in my "service passport " is not the same, it is AL003-5001

I wonder though if the part number changes dependent on the volume purchased? Is it the same fluid? Food for thought.

Could others chase up in their countries, check their passbooks vs owners manuals vs any online info. Any info on these part numbers etc.

Cheers

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Gee you are good at this sort of stuff Steve! What line of work are/were you in? (If you don't mind me asking)

We have a great pool of knowledge and skills on this site  :happydance:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.

I wonder though if the part number changes dependent on the volume purchased? Is it the same fluid? Food for thought.

Cheers

If you buy coolant from the aftermarket chains, there is a different coolant dependent on how long you want it to last. So the simple answer is, "yes". But I reckon Hyundai would only use one type.

PS. To agree with Dazz, you do good work.
Trev
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Steve Roe
Dazzler
My line of work is Process control - factory automation, I'm a trade certified Instrument Technician who moved into Technical Support, sales etc. Very hands on.  Measurement of fluid properties, pH, conductivity, flow, pressure level - anything you want to measure and display electronically. Whilst not being an electrician, or electronics expert I have an overall knowledge of most trades, plumbing, welding, fitting, electronics.
The wife thinks I'm nuts, I'm either on the roof, in the roof space, under the house, in the shed or in the garage - never actually in the house. If she can't find me then I'm in the Dandenongs somewhere on a bike. Still - you've got to keep busy.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Dazzler
My line of work is Process control - factory automation, I'm a trade certified Instrument Technician who moved into Technical Support, sales etc. Very hands on.  Measurement of fluid properties, pH, conductivity, flow, pressure level - anything you want to measure and display electronically. Whilst not being an electrician, or electronics expert I have an overall knowledge of most trades, plumbing, welding, fitting, electronics.
The wife thinks I'm nuts, I'm either on the roof, in the roof space, under the house, in the shed or in the garage - never actually in the house. If she can't find me then I'm in the Dandenongs somewhere on a bike. Still - you've got to keep busy.

That explains it.. I have worked in a lot of different fields* too but none of those  :cool:

* and I don't mean harvesting spuds  :lol:

• 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal