i30 Owners Club

30000 km service

mantaray · 27 · 13122

Offline mantaray

• 3rd Gear
Well booked in our car for its 2 yealy service( never do the Kms') and I nearly had a kitten when I was quoted $690. After pulling up my pants and standing up from my position bent over the table, I got the spiel about oil costs , filters, brake fluid change, blah blah blah I just shook my head and walked away. However what can you do, unless you know of a better Independent  you are stuck. The dealer does a good job and is fussy, that is not the point, but if I had of known about the cost of servicing, I would have never gone done the New Car trail.
Still -whinge over, it is great car and I would miss it if I didn't have it. Cheaper servicing would just make ownership more pleasant. I know Local mecahnics are cheaper, but you still need to find a good one, before this car -I always done my own. Ill health has stopped that.
Have a safe year ahead and hopefully diesel prices may go back to below petrol prices like the good old days  :confused:

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
i don't want to rub your nose in it,but we paid less than that for both our petrol i30's on our 30,000km services,both cars.  :disapp: :mad: that sounds way to much,i thought a crdi service was only $100=$150 more per service.  :scared: :faint:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi M8 so no other Hyundai dealers within easy driving distance. Will it save you much to supply your own oil and Kia equivilent filters (which are a bit cheaper (from memory the going rate including fuel filter should be closer to $400)  :twisted:

If you want any help with part nunbers etc.. let me know (if you haven't forked out yet...) :disapp:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Well booked in our car for its 2 yealy service( never do the Kms') and I nearly had a kitten when I was quoted $690. After pulling up my pants and standing up from my position bent over the table, I got the spiel about oil costs , filters, brake fluid change, blah blah blah I just shook my head and walked away. However what can you do, unless you know of a better Independent  you are stuck. The dealer does a good job and is fussy, that is not the point, but if I had of known about the cost of servicing, I would have never gone done the New Car trail.
Still -whinge over, it is great car and I would miss it if I didn't have it. Cheaper servicing would just make ownership more pleasant. I know Local mecahnics are cheaper, but you still need to find a good one, before this car -I always done my own. Ill health has stopped that.
Have a safe year ahead and hopefully diesel prices may go back to below petrol prices like the good old days  :confused:

Mantaray, I supplied all my own filters and oil and it only cost me around $220...and this was at my local Hyundai dealer....  :goodjob:

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
the 30,000km service is a major Russ.  :winker:

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
the 30,000km service is a major Russ.  :winker:

And that was for my 30,000k service, Steve.... :p  :winker:

Offline mantaray

• 3rd Gear
Thanks for all your help, unfortunately here in Adelaide," Adtrans "owns  or controls nearly all the Hyundai dealerships, trading as different companies . Perhaps maughan Thiem is not, but they want $50 more so we are on an inclined thread on a a steel rod ( i.e. screwed).
As for buying your own bits, I should have planned in advance  too late now, Next time for sure. the killer is the Fuel filter and oil filter nearly $200 there without labour. So beans for a few weeks and all will be well.
Thank God for this Forum it is a God send for info and help.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
If you're happy to use aftermarket bits, which I did for the cabin & fuel filter, you can get them for around $28 each....a slight saving from the Hyundai quoted prices.... :P  :whistler:

Offline ElleB

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

• Our Elle B
This has been listed before....but would be appropriate to remind everyone..  Haha   with the usual disclaimer, "I have no association etc with the supplier  ...rhubarb rhubarb... :rofl:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/260913103737?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

Air , Oil and Fuel filters for a total of $67
Quote from the Ebay page....  They are in the western suburbs of Sydney...

This filter kit contains a brand new air, oil and fuel filter to suit a HYUNDAI i30 1.6L CRDi & 2.0L CRDi (TURBO DIESEL) for the years 02/08-on. The filters are equivalent to:
AIR:    A1561 /281132H000
OIL:    26320-2A500
FUEL:    31922-4H001

FYI... :whistler:

Cheers
  Elle B
  • 2016 i30 CW auto

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Thanks for that, Tony.... :goodjob2:

I've not come across them before....

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
$200 for a :disapp: fuel and oil filter,wow,I'm in the wrong business.  :faint:

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Do you really need a good mechanic to do the major service. All you really need is the stamp for warranty. So long as they can replace the filters oil and brake fluid (and lets face it Hyundai will be getting their first year apprentice to do your service). There is no real issue.

There would be plenty of good mechanics around your area. Ask around, call your auto club and ask for a recommendation or Look for the mechanics with a million cars parked out the front and drop in and ask a couple of questions. You'll find one to your liking.

The amount they charge is highway robbery, refuse to be robbed. From memory (it would be in the servicing thread) my 30k service was under $250 with everything (I got the Ryco Diesel filter for $40, supplied Mobil one oil and the mechanic did the rest). My 45k was about $150.

• A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline mantaray

• 3rd Gear
They got me this time, but next time i will do the same as you fellas and get it done elsewhere. Now to convince the missus, after all she thinks it is her car :}

Offline Ugly Mongrel

• V.I.P
  • H.O.S. inmate

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld

• Sorry, but my karma just ran over your dogma.
They got me this time, but next time i will do the same as you fellas and get it done elsewhere. Now to convince the missus, after all she thinks it is her car :}

Sillly girl!! (the missus, not you)
  • Lubricious, the greatest 2010 CW Auto diesel.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Remember to ask us (or me by PM) for help in advance next time. We will give you part numbers, prices etc..  :goodjob:

Offline Ultralights

• 3rd Gear
  • yay, me.

• au Australia
      Sydney

• He loves nature in spite of what it did to him..
I just got my I30 back from its 30,000Km service, even though its just over 9 months old now, cost was $690. but i does drive like it is new again,  handbrake is tight, brakes feel better, clutch re adjusted, and the best thing, fuel economy has improved by about 5 to8%! average before service was about 5.1L/100km,  the first tank after the service returned 4.7L/100km with anout 50/50 freeway running and commuting.

extra work done under warrenty was replacement steering wheel, as the covering on the original was delaminating, and a new stereo unit as it stopped pairing with bluetooth devices.
considering the work done, im pretty happy with the price for a major service.
  • SLX CRDI U2

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
$690....ouch!   :eek:

Do you know if they replaced the fuel filter, and if so, can you tell us how much they charged for it?

Oh, and for that total price I assume they changed the cabin filter as well?

Still seems way too expensive, regardless....  :confused:

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
My 30,000 km service on my '09 diesel was done by a Hyundai dealership on 7/1/2010 and cost me $451 with me supplying my own oil.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Mine still drives like new, never used the stealer. There is no way in hell I would pay $700 for a service. If you did that on the streets they would lock you up for 6-12 (days).
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
I don't like to give people bad advice or the wrong idea. but for the life of me i can't see why the service where they change fuel filter on diesel is so high. as even though to an untrained eye it might look difficult to change the fuel filter. it's not, you remove it from fire wall & change it on work bench does not take long.
but with Petrol  ........ where is that fuel filter located again? in the fuel tank now thats more of a challenge. also we have here a 5 year old Sonarta 2.4 petrol that only has 20k on clock & it needs the timing belts ( there are two ) changed because of age not k's travelled expencive for the kit here in AU, but got a kit in USA much cheaper a friend was working over there & was returning home so no freight charges. give me a chain any day as age does not weary them specialy as they live in oil.
not trying to stir up trouble. just explaining things. how i see it. most of the charges are just dreamed up at dealer & some charge $150 per hour maybe more

Offline Ultralights

• 3rd Gear
  • yay, me.

• au Australia
      Sydney

work done for the 30K service was
rotated tyres
replace oil and filter $33 filter $110 oil Castrol SLX Professional LL01
replace fuel filter $120
replace brake and clutch fluids $15
replace coolant and flush cooling system $28
replace air filter element $35

the rest was the usual inspections of pretty much everything
total labour was $253
workshop supplies $15
gasket oil plug $3
environmental levy $18

some work was done at my request, such as replace coolant, air filter and rotate tyres.

and finally i have to go back in 2 to 4 weeks to get the new stereo installed under warranty.
  • SLX CRDI U2

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Jesus! $110 for oil.....ouch!!! And I'm assuming that GST is on top of that....makes it $122.00  :Shocked:

How come you had the coolant changed so soon, Ultra?  :undecided:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

:whsaid:

Offline Ultralights

• 3rd Gear
  • yay, me.

• au Australia
      Sydney

I learnt that hard way many moons ago when driving $500 bombs in my younger days that Antifreez/antiboil coolant has a life span.  and with winter approaching, and a lot of snow trips planned, i figured i would get it changed for piece of mind.
but the anti corrosive properties do deteriorate.

in my old mitsubishy, i didnt change the coolant for over 5 yrs, it went a nice bvrown murky colour and froze one cold weekend in perisher. 
  • SLX CRDI U2

Offline bobbyd

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Adelaide
30k service inst that major- other than usual oil and filter - its only brake fluid and coolant change, gen coolant cost  $50 for premix 5ltr

Offline ryaz11

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
Hi there,

So if i brought these for my 300000km service http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/260913103737?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

How much would i expect to pay do you reckon?
I just dont want to be ripped off

Thanks Guys. :snigger:

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
Hi there,

So if i brought these for my 300000km service http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/260913103737?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

How much would i expect to pay do you reckon?
I just dont want to be ripped off

Thanks Guys. :snigger:

I don't know, but you've done a lot of kms.  :whistler:
  • Tertius the i30

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal