i30 Owners Club

My Elantra Touring wagon

Offline chodups

• 2nd Gear
I live in Seattle and own a 2010 ET SE manual with just under 30k miles.  I have had zero problems with the car. I commute 52 miles combined each day for work and average 30-31 mpg.  I have Thule roof rack which cuts about 1 - 1.5 mpg off my mileage.  I regularly carry a kayak on that rack and the addition of that kayak and the reduction of the mileage with the boat is barely noticeable.  The rack is the "drag".

What I like:
The gas mileage
The power (I've mostly driven 4x4 trucks so this seems powerful to me)
The handling (fun and sure)
The comfort in spite of the lack of expensive finishes.  I like the elegance derived from simplicity.  Nice engineering without excess.  Matches my personal ethics.  Seems really luxurious to me but then again I have never had a fancy car before.
Intelligent interior space.
Bomber roof rails for serious load carrying capacity.
Fun to drive.

What I'm not wild about:
Road noise
Low profile tires ride firm.  (I accept it based on the performance return)
Some finishes seem pretty cheap (and at the same time they appeal to my ethics and they work.)
The times I have driven it in the snow I wished for more ground clearance and different tires.  I have the stock low profile tires.

This car seems to be a fabulous value and fit for me.  I'm very pleased with it.  I regularly recommend it to friends who end up buying more expensive cars and who get to know their mechanics by name. 

Jon

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
 :Agoodpost: Jon, glad to hear your'e happ with your car.  :goodjob2:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Ugly Mongrel

• V.I.P
  • H.O.S. inmate

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld

• Sorry, but my karma just ran over your dogma.
Nice rap, Jon. I particularly like your line about your friends getting to know their mechanic's by first name. :rofl:
  • Lubricious, the greatest 2010 CW Auto diesel.

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Oh and I forgot to mention If you pick up a bottle of wine for the misses, the centre console cup holders will hold it for you safe and sound.

None of my mates cars can do that.....
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
Oh and I forgot to mention If you pick up a bottle of wine for the misses, the centre console cup holders will hold it for you safe and sound.

None of my mates cars can do that.....

That is a very good and a very relevant point  :goodjob:
I have done it so I know.
It does make changing gears a little more difficult though. Plus it's not a good look if you happen to be waved into an RBT  :D
  • Tertius the i30

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Another reason to have an auto  :cool:

As long as the lid is on you'll have no worries at the RBT (unless the wine is some sort of apology for spending the afternoon on the jars).
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal