i30 Owners Club

Do I have to use Hyundai for service?

bustacapp · 26 · 10758

Offline bustacapp

• 2nd Gear
A year ago I bought my car as a 1yr old from a car supermarket dealer. The car was serviced when I bought it. I asked the guy if it needed to be Hyundai who serviced it to retain the warranty and he told me that any VAT registered service centre can do it. Anyhow, the car is now 2yrs old and has 21,000 miles on the clock. Where I work, there is a reputable garage conveniently across the road from me. Would I be okay warrant-wise to use them? If so, how do they know the exact specification of service I will require? I spoke to a guy from Hyundai who told me that the 3rd service is a 'biggie' and costs £200+. Even though my car is only due for it's 2nd service, it got me wondering if Hyundai have a specific checklist to work to on their services.

In short - I'm confused. Is it better to just get Hyundai to do it all and pay through the nose?

Cheers,
Busta.

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Several members on here have said this, and I've made previous enquiries too...

You can use whatever service outlet you like, providing they can supply and fit parts that are of equal or greater specification than those recommended by Hyundai. The outlet must also be VAT registered apparently (as you said), though the reason for that fact was never explained to me (possibly to ensure that your uncle Ted doesn't do the service himself?).

So, how will they know what to do on the service? You could take a copy of your service schedule (if you have it) which shows what needs inspecting or replacing. I have a 2008 diesel so the schedule I posted on the forum won't really be applicable to you.

If yours is a 2010 1.4 petrol, shouldn't this be your 2nd 'main' service not 3rd, with 10k mile service intervals?
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P
  • Keeping it in the family!

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
I can provide details of the 1.4 service checklist if you require it :goodjob:

As stated you can get any VAT registered garage to do it, the only thing you must ensure is that they use Hyundai parts and recommended lubricants to do it and tha you keep receipts to prove that they were used should you need to use the warranty.
  • Kia Sportage 3, 1.7 CRDi EcoDynamics

Offline succulant

• 4th Gear
  • Never buy a Citroën

• scotland Scotland
      Lanarkshire
I had the 3rd years service done on my car at the dealer in February and the only thing that made it a 'biggie' was the additional cost of the mot. I think it was about £215 all in including an i10 for the day. I was told its the 4th year service that is the biggie as it involves changing belts.
  • Comfort CRDI (115), Suzuki Ignis Sport, Rover Mini 30

Offline bustacapp

• 2nd Gear
If yours is a 2010 1.4 petrol, shouldn't this be your 2nd 'main' service not 3rd, with 10k mile service intervals?

Yes it's due for 2nd service I just used the 3rd year as an example to show that there would be specific requirements for a Hyundai. But I think you have addressed it with the comment about taking the service schedule to the garage. I will have a word with the garage. Thanks everyone for your input.

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
^--- if you can't locate a service schedule (I had to request one from Hyundai) then drop bumpkin a PM (he did offer to provide one)

Good luck

Online eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
The dealer should be able to oblige.

They type your reg in and the correct schedule appears on their system
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England
      Telford, Shropshire, England.

• Call sign Golf 4 Victor Zulu Kilo
I was told its the 4th year service that is the biggie as it involves changing belts.

So not all i30 engines use a timing chain as mine does?
The Aux drive belt is easier to change surely...?
  • Now owning a Ford 1.0 Zetec S Fiesta

Offline succulant

• 4th Gear
  • Never buy a Citroën

• scotland Scotland
      Lanarkshire
I was told its the 4th year service that is the biggie as it involves changing belts.

I was under the impression it was a chain too. Maybe next year I'll take it to another dealer.
  • Comfort CRDI (115), Suzuki Ignis Sport, Rover Mini 30

Online eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

I was under the impression it was a chain too. Maybe next year I'll take it to another dealer.

You might find that the chain is only on the diesel cars..

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England

Mine is a 1.6 petrol with a camchain Monsieur I30

Online eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

Mine is a 1.6 petrol with a camchain Monsieur I30

Ahhh a diesel cross breed    :lol:

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
The service booklet with my new 2012 i30 includes this statement about using other service garages..

• 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

It would appear that provided you jump through all the hoops - you can use an independent without affecting your warranty

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Thanks AlanHo - extremely useful post. No mention of VAT/GST membership mentioned

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

Thanks AlanHo - extremely useful post. No mention of VAT/GST membership mentioned

On another page it specifies that a VAT registered Service Centre must be used.

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England

Doh... I've been saying that for aaaaaages!

However I understand the caution of those involved.

In the UK at least it is the Law.

A manufacturer cannot persist in anti - competitive practices... we need an Independent Garages group. If the Indy's all ceased trading we would seriously be bent over by the Dealerships!

So...
Must be V.A.T. registered (UK)
Must use equivalent quality parts & fluids (or better)
Must follow the Hyundai schedule (available to garages via 'tinternet)
Keep all parts & fluids invoices, and a copy of the Service schedule followed.

Warranty work must be done by Dealers (no surprise or contention there)

This applies to all Manufacturers selling vehicles in Europe (at least)

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
Pretty much the same here down under.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline bustacapp

• 2nd Gear
I went to the garage across the road today and the guy just shrugged and basically said it's a standard service for all cars. He did say he would use specified parts/lubes etc. I wonder if they would list EVERY single item/part number? Would a hyundai garage itself be required to provide reciepts etc? All seems like a get out clause to me. Anyway I have pm'ed the kind bumpkin for the service schedule to take to the garage. However I can't help thinking 'just take it to hyundai' would be a lot simpler.

Online eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

Would a hyundai garage itself be required to provide reciepts etc?

My receipts from the Hy dealer show part numbers. 
Plus I get a service schedule showing what should be done for that particular service interval..

Offline bustacapp

• 2nd Gear
Well according to alanho's post my car is already in breach of the document requirements for warranty validaion. I bought the car from motorpoint and they serviced it and included a service checklist but there is no details of what brands/fluids/parts were used.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I went to the garage across the road today and the guy just shrugged and basically said it's a standard service for all cars. He did say he would use specified parts/lubes etc. I wonder if they would list EVERY single item/part number? Would a hyundai garage itself be required to provide reciepts etc? All seems like a get out clause to me. Anyway I have pm'ed the kind bumpkin for the service schedule to take to the garage. However I can't help thinking 'just take it to hyundai' would be a lot simpler.

That is what they want you to think.. I supply my own parts and oils and just keep receipts for them and make sure the non dealer stamps and signs the appropiate service book page ...
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
I went to the garage across the road today and the guy just shrugged and basically said it's a standard service for all cars. He did say he would use specified parts/lubes etc. I wonder if they would list EVERY single item/part number? Would a hyundai garage itself be required to provide receipts etc? All seems like a get out clause to me. Anyway I have pm'ed the kind bumpkin for the service schedule to take to the garage. However I can't help thinking 'just take it to hyundai' would be a lot simpler.

No, look for a franchise group rather than a garage. Garage owners maintain & run their businesses according to their own standards. The garage owner's reply should tell you what kind of service you can expect IMO steer clear of that one.
Arm yourself with the service schedule & take it to selected businesses and habe them commit to performing all the functions & quote to perform the work. Make sure you supply the oil & filters yourself, this will keep the cost down. Also, ring your Hy dealer & give them the opportunity to quote as well.  :neutral:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
 :whsaid:
I now take mine to a non-Hyundai service centre who are meticulous about servicing to manufacturer's specifications and I supply my own oil.
And the best part is the costs are half to two thirds the cost of Hyundai servicing costs.
Mine was serviced at Hyundai until 90,000 kms and thereafter at the independent.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline kabukiman

• 3rd Gear
  • apricot herder

• au Australia
      Melbourne, Victoria
The main reason to do it is the dealer will almost always use genuine parts and it will keep your warranty intact as long as services are on time.

Independent garages would be just as good provided they knew what schedule was recommended by hyundai, and they used the right parts.  But even then there's nothing out of this world on an i30, most independent places would cover everything in their normal full services.  Maybe present them with a schedule from hyundai.

I'm happier to get mine done at an independent place I know because they are all experienced mechanics who spend more time on each car than hyundai dealerships will.  I still go to hyundai for any warranty related work etc and I will supply required hyundai parts to the independent shop.

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England

I decided to do my own intermediate service this year.
Oil change, new oil and air filter.
I had new sparkers at the last service 10k miles ago.
I chose this option as my car runs out of warranty next month at 5 years of age and 37,200 miles.
But I know what oil and filters I used this time.....

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal