i30 Owners Club

2012 i30 diesel premium road test report

i30forme · 29 · 17957

Offline i30forme

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne

• 2012 GD i30 Diesel Premium
2012 GD Hyundai i30 Diesel Premium test drive report.

30 minute test drive on fresh sunny morning with family.

Main criteria points are: Diesel engine & power dynamics, transmission shift smoothness, road noise/vibration & harshness,  passenger comfort & luxury, rear passenger legroom & hvac vents.

Towbar is required. However, it is not offered as a genuine accessory... yet.

I followed this model since it’s european release at motorshows. Particularly interested as a replacement for the old family vehicle. Specifications to be at current or above existing luxury level & features....as available in the Premium model.....tick.

Dealer salesperson provided basic operations of push button starting/stopping, electronic park brake, flex steer system, HUGE Sat Nav, reverse parking screen & guidance lines & folding mirrors. He didn’t tell me about the fabulous panoramic sunroof operation!

Externally, this car is very classy & euro chic looking, smooth curves interspersed with sharp edges. Not overly large, good sized hatch. Had a few looks driving along the road. Looks....tick.

Engine criteria: Diesel engine & power dynamics; wow, this little engine has some pull. No steering wheel torque steer when I accelerated performing a U turn (permitted) and it accelerated briskly. Very surprised by the smoothness of the transmission shifts. I noticed the vehicle had only travelled 1350 kms total, so it may have also felt tight. Manual select auto is smooth and slick. I noticed it refused to go into sixth when traveling at under 80km/h. Eco drive button was off. Engine & trans... tick.

Road noise/vibration & harshness criteria: At varying speeds (tests conducted on rough roads, freeway speeds, curves) the car is quiet. Only at freeway speeds could I hear some A/pillar wind noise. The wife began to play with the sunroof mechanism and completely  opened the roof. Surprisingly, at 100 km/h there was little turbulence in the cockpit, but the dreaded booming was evident. My daughter seated at the rear commented that apart from the noise of the opened roof, it was reasonably quiet. NV&H...tick

Passenger comfort luxury & HVAC vents criteria: The Premium model has it all. As you may be aware, it’s got the lot. Australians pay a premium. The criteria with the rear passenger air vents is a big deal if you travel with kids. On long family trips, facing the sun makes being in the back seat hot & uncomfortable. The rear vents are only offered on the premium model. Many friends with compact SUV’s have complained their vehicles don’t have this feature. Passenger comfort....tick

Overall, this is definitely a future family vehicle that I’m really looking forward to purchasing  shortly.

Just waiting for a definite towbar accessory option!

Cheers,
Steve
  • 2012 GD i30 Diesel Premium - Creamy.....White!

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
Thanks for that great feedback - glad you liked it.
I too don't know why they don't have rear vents in all models in Australia.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Excellent feedback Steve..

I'm sure a Towbar will be available shortly if not already.. As another Steve (2i30s) said, try Hayman Reese... I might even do some googling   :idea:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline i30forme

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne

Thanks Dazzler,
I've spoken to them & they reckon on a couple of months wait. Though, it's still not a given if HA will offer them as a genuine accessory. Time will tell.
I test drove an Elite diesel version, and again, this little engine is rather perky! It'll cruise effortlessly or scream away from a standstill! Poor demo....it only had 34 kms on the clock!
This time I open the hood and noticed an engine label mentioning that this engine is not fitted with a catalysed particulate filter. As I'm new to diesels, I take this to be the DFP??? It mentioned about specific oil specifications required at service intervals.

Is this an Australian specific engine then?

Cheers,
Steve

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

That's right - we don't get the DPF here  :happydance:
  • Tertius the i30

Offline i30forme

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne

:Shocked: So db08....it's a $500 service fee?????

Offline TazManiac

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Brighton, Tasmania
Nice bit of feedback there.  Might have to have a drive for fun.
  • 2012 i30 FD SX 2.0 Petrol

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

:Shocked: So db08....it's a $500 service fee?????

Why do you say that? What have i missed?

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Offline i30forme

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne

:Shocked: No Gentlemen,
I'm merely stating that to service a diesel engine may cost $500 just to change the oil. Naturally, this is not a fact.
I'm actually obtaining service charges for the new gen I30 as I'm in the process of negotiations. I certainly hope that it doesn't cost the earth to purchase the specified diesel oil for oil changes I would like to do in between major services. I do this simply because it's cheap insurance changing oil & oil filter.
Thanks,
Steve

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

I agree with oil being cheap insurance.
I use Shell Helix Ultra and have done since my i30 was new.
Although I don't think I've ever seen this oil on special, it's still cheaper to buy it myself and provide it to the workshop than get them to supply it and at least I know what's going in there.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline i30forme

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne

Good call db08!
Gee, without the owners manual, I can't recall the spec of oil required for the non DPF engines applicable to Australia. Would it be the same as your model? BTW, I like the white colour!
Steve

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

I'd have to check to be sure, but I think it's ACEA B3 & B4???
It's probably the same as the engines haven't changed that much.
Mine truly runs like new.  :D
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
It's ACEA B4 without DPF in Oz.  :goodjob2:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Good call db08!
Gee, without the owners manual, I can't recall the spec of oil required for the non DPF engines applicable to Australia. Would it be the same as your model? BTW, I like the white colour!
Steve

G'day Steve, there are many threads on oil that you may find interesting....Here's just one:

:link:

Offline i30forme

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne

:eek: Thanks rustynutz,
that's quite a bit of information to take in.
I think Castrol Titanium looks like the one. Thanks again.
I'll keep reading further on.......

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
:Shocked: No Gentlemen,
I'm merely stating that to service a diesel engine may cost $500 just to change the oil. Naturally, this is not a fact.
I'm actually obtaining service charges for the new gen I30 as I'm in the process of negotiations. I certainly hope that it doesn't cost the earth to purchase the specified diesel oil for oil changes I would like to do in between major services. I do this simply because it's cheap insurance changing oil & oil filter.
Thanks,
Steve

G'day Steve,

Try $620 for the Major service as quoted by Hyundai.

You don't need to pay the earth to service the diesel. I find removing the dealer altogether is a great saving. If you are inclined to use the dealer servicing, I would do so with a nice basket containing the oil and filters (you can find links in the Ebay threads including a genuine diesel filter for around $50 delivered).

Sure it is more expensive, but if the new engine has a timing belt, it probably works out over time (especially if you can avoid paying top dollar for servicing).

I did read fixed price servicing was around the corner, so perhaps Hyundai Australia has recognised the need to bring the dealers into line, and the price will come down.
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline i30forme

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne

:goodjob: Beerman,
I just received an email advising me of service pricing for the GD i30. They are approximate prices so I tend to think fixed price servicing may well just be around the corner....

15,000 kms - $300
30,000 kms - $545
45,000 kms - $415
60,000 kms - $555
75,000 kms - $330
90,000 kms - $685

By then it may be time for a NEW car!!!!!!!  :lol:

Cheers,
Steve

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

As stated elsewhere on this forum, I stuck with Hyundai servicing until it was time for the 90,000 km service which is when I went elsewhere and got it done for a fraction of that price, still by the book with genuine parts.
I mean, how much can a koala bear?  :)
  • Tertius the i30

Offline i30forme

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne

I agree db08. :goodjob:
being new again to Hyundai, do they "prefer" that an owner has their vehicle serviced at a dealership to have any warranty issues accepted?
I'm not going to argue with having the car serviced by the dealer since it's within 5 kms from home. I can get to work by either bus or train if required. Not everybody is that fortunate.
Gee, they even have a great cafe machine!
Cheers,
Steve

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

being new again to Hyundai, do they "prefer" that an owner has their vehicle serviced at a dealership to have any warranty issues accepted?
I'm not going to argue with having the car serviced by the dealer since it's within 5 kms from home. I can get to work by either bus or train if required. Not everybody is that fortunate.
Cheers,
Steve

They will tell you that, but it is not essential, providing the full & correct servicing schedule is followed and genuine parts are used.
It suited me to use Hyundai servicing as they had a mobile facility and I always got the same mechanic and I would have continued to use them if their prices had remained reasonable, but come 90,000 kms they weren't IMO so I switched.
Whatever suits you - I imagine that if there were warranty issues it wouldn't be insurmountable with a non-Hyundai workshop but would be a lot simpler with, with less hoops to jump through.
I've never had to test it though as the only fault in three years / 130,000 kms has been a brake light globe.  :happydance:
Dave
  • Tertius the i30

Offline i30forme

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne

Cheers,
Steve

They will tell you that, but it is not essential, providing the full & correct servicing schedule is followed and genuine parts are used.
It suited me to use Hyundai servicing as they had a mobile facility and I always got the same mechanic and I would have continued to use them if their prices had remained reasonable, but come 90,000 kms they weren't IMO so I switched.
Whatever suits you - I imagine that if there were warranty issues it wouldn't be insurmountable with a non-Hyundai workshop but would be a lot simpler with, with less hoops to jump through.
I've never had to test it though as the only fault in three years / 130,000 kms has been a brake light globe.  :happydance:
Dave

:Shocked: db08....brake light globe? That'll be nice to experience only that! That's most impressive Dave!

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

:Shocked: db08....brake light globe? That'll be nice to experience only that! That's most impressive Dave!

They are amazingly reliable (particularly the manuals...)  :whistler:

Quite a few of our members have had 2 or 3 years without any warranty claims  :goodjob:

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Quite a few of our members have had 2 or 3 years without any warranty claims  :goodjob:

I must be honest.

I forgot about the "chrome" plating starting to peel off the driver's door interior door handle.

This was replaced under warranty without question too.

• Tertius the i30

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I must be honest.

I forgot about the "chrome" plating starting to peel off the driver's door interior door handle.

This was replaced under warranty without question too.

After Dave got cut up rough about it...  :lol:

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

I did.
Still have the physical and psychological scars too.  :)
  • Tertius the i30

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal