i30 Owners Club

New 1.6 Diesel Auto

Martin88 · 11 · 10651

Offline Martin88

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Newcastle, United Kingdom
I thought i would let you guys know how the new auto feels as i dont see alot of info around and i took collection of mine today.

The new 6 speed box for me feels like its a been a missing part of the puzzle since my MY11 4 speed auto, The new box helps drive at lower RPM's and really improves MPG. My old i30 used to do around 41 mpg town driving and 49/50 motorway driving and that was after a good run in.

The new box is managing to help achieve an MPG of 44 around town, Now my engine only has 30 miles on it, so its obviously still very tight which is why i am so impressed at the 44mpg, My previous i30 when going through the run in period managed to pull around 30mpg. This slowly climbed after around 1000 miles. The old style box used to slide around on a track the new on simply pulls backwards in a straight line and can be pushed to one side in D to use the sequential gears (controlling it yourself)

I found it to feel very solid, the shifter feels very nice and the new gear knob and set up feel very up market. The shifts are short and smooth and i really think the gear box feels more responsive it seems to have a better idea of when to shift up and down.

Honestly i cant possibly begin to tell you how much better the new box is. It really is astronomically better than the old box, and the old box wasn't bad by any means.

I would gladly recommend an auto, Maybe after many more miles i will have a better idea of it but for now,  :goodjob2: :goodjob2:

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Fantastic feedback from such a young i30. Thanks :D

I'll kick this into our Testimonials section if that's ok :)
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Martin88

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Newcastle, United Kingdom
Not an issue, The gearbox just feels so right. Makes my previous one seem barbaric.  :faint:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Not an issue, The gearbox just feels so right. Makes my previous one seem barbaric.  :faint:

Unfortunately, some of us have to continue to live with our barbaric old boxes, even though we'd all like a new box. I'm glad yours is so smooth and economical  :whistler:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline mjt57

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Country Victoria
The original 4 speeder was the one major factor that turned me off having a diesel auto. Having said that I'd have to drive a new 6 speeder before deciding on it or the manual as I do really like the diesel/manual combo.
  • 2014 Hyndai ix35 Highlander TD/2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited CRD

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
 :thanx: for the feedback on the new 6 speed auto - it sounds like a beauty.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline i30forme

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne

• 2012 GD i30 Diesel Premium
Hi Martin88,
have to agree with you. Though I never tested the previous i30 auto box, I must say, I was very impressed with the auto shifting smoothness so much I bought one!
Enjoy it and do speak of any new items.
Cheers,
Steve
  • 2012 GD i30 Diesel Premium - Creamy.....White!

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Interesting feedback Martin I still prefer the manual economy (and the $2000 I would keep in my pocket)  :mrgreen:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline i30forme

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne

Hi Dazzler,
it is unfortunate that in Australia, you can't get a Premium with manual trans. Sucks, doesn't it? Otherwise, I would have gone in that direction. Except, the wife & daughter fell in love with the moon roof!

Ohhh dear....

Cheers,
Steve

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I can understand that Steve.. It really gives the car an open and up market feel.. :goodjob:

The black roof looks great with white and silver too (in the i30, 140 and i45) :mrgreen:

• 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline i30forme

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne

Good man Dazzler!

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal