i30 Owners Club

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
If there's one topic that always seems to let the worms out of the can, it's that of which oil to use.
I'm in the process of reading back through various threads on this subject, as I now have the opportunity to make the decision again as to which oil to use in my forthcoming diesel GD i30.
As you know, last time I went with Shell Helix Ultra 5W-40 and I used that oil at every change.
However, I can't say that it was based on any real sound technical basis, as I'm not a real sound technical person.  :D
Without getting bogged down in scientific formulae, because I tend to switch off then, are there better oils I should be considering?
This car will be a keeper for much longer than the 136,000 kms I kept the last one for but I'm a big believer in quality fluids and regular servicing. And the same goes for my car too.  ;)
I've looked at the websites for the major oil suppliers in Australia but they all say that they're the best.  :confused:
I live in the hills of Perth, W.A. where the temperature can drop below zero in winter (for start up) but for most of the year doesn't and where the upper temps in summer are in the low to mid forties, winter 15 to 25 degrees on average.
Most of my driving is in suburban Perth or country highways and byways.
Thanks.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Were you happy with the previous oil  :question:

There seems to be good things being said about Penrite & it's Oz apparently  :Dunno:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Were you happy with the previous oil  :question:

There seems to be good things being said about Penrite & it's Oz apparently  :Dunno:

Yes, no reason to complain. I just wondered if there was something newer/better I should be considering.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net

Yes, no reason to complain. I just wondered if there was something newer/better I should be considering.

There is Ultra Extra I assume that is newer/better  :whistler:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

I can't remember where I read it, but I'm assuming on this forum, not to use the "extra" in the diesel for some reason, but I may sit corrected.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Looking at the specs I can't see why not..  :undecided: Hopefully Pip will see this...

:link:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Pip
Extra is a low SAPS ACEA Cx oil. Not needed. I haven't used Shell myself (yet?) but I see no reason for you to change but stick with the non-extra B4.

Daz, you haven't been paying attention have you?  :mad:

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Extra is a low SAPS ACEA Cx oil. Not needed. I haven't used Shell myself (yet?) but I see no reason for you to change but stick with the non-extra B4.

Daz, you haven't been paying attention have you?  :mad:

Thanks Pip - very muchly.  :goodjob2:
  • Tertius the i30

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Well, I had my i30 serviced today and used Castrol 0W 40 "Titanium".

Ask me what it's like in a week or so as I should have a bit of an idea by then.....:D

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

What's it like in a week or so?  :undecided:
  • Tertius the i30

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Well, it's been a bit longer than a week but I'm happy to say I'm, umm, very happy with with the new "Titanium".......  :goodjob:

Engine seems quieter, with less typical diesel clatter..... :goodjob:
But then again, after spending so much time in my car of late, I may just have just gone a bit deafer.... :lol:

Offline i30niko

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      ADELAIDE, SA, AUSTRALIA

The ULTRA EXTRA Is not B4. Not recommended. Only the ULTRA 5w40.
After a LOT of research I have broken it down to ONLY 5 OILS I WOULD EVER USE for my i30 diesel.

SHELL HELIX ULTRA 5w40 API SJ/CF; ACEA A3/B3/B4 (NOT EXTRA) (On special at repco for $42!)

Valvoline Syncpower 5w40 API SM/CF, ACEA A3/B4 (ON SPECIAL AT REPCO LESS FOR $49)

Nulon Long life 5-40 API CF/SM ACEA C3/B4/A3 (Ozzie brand !)

Castol edge titanium 5w30 API SL/CF ACEA A3/B4 (The 0w40 is also okay but Hyundai does not recommend 0w unless in cold climate - its on the manual)

Penrite HPR 5w40 diesel API CI-4 PLUS/SL, ACEA A3/B4/E7 (Ozzie brand - 10L for around $89)

There is a mobil one that is good to but its like $95 for 5L almost 50% more than the other!!
« Last Edit: October 19, 2012, 07:11:52 by i30niko »
  • 2010 i30 diesel SX auto

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Castol edge titanium 5w30 API SL/CF ACEA A3/B4 (The 0w40 is also okay but Hyundai does not recommend 0w unless in cold climate - its on the manual)

The only 0W oil I see referenced to in the manual is 0W-30..... :undecided:

Btw, the notice from Hyundai Australia's National Technical Director that I posted elsewhere suggests 0W-40 is suitable for Australia....

Offline i30niko

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      ADELAIDE, SA, AUSTRALIA

The only 0W oil I see referenced to in the manual is 0W-30..... :undecided:

Btw, the notice from Hyundai Australia's National Technical Director that I posted elsewhere suggests 0W-40 is suitable for Australia....

Yeah but it is hard to find 0w40 oils that meet the B4 spec.....I think the only one I have found is the mobil 1, and it goes for like $90 for 5L !!! Crazy stuff, I would buy if i had a ferrari!

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Castrol's Edge Titanium 0W-40 is B4 spec......  :whistler:

Pip
This is Castrol's best available in Oz and IMO probably equal to Mobil M1 0w40. All specifications are almost identical including the price.  :undecided:

The Castrol 5w30 is made from a cheaper base oil and its price reflects that. As I said it is still a good oil, particularly at the sale prices it regularly sells for.  :goodjob2:

Offline i30niko

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      ADELAIDE, SA, AUSTRALIA

Oh yeah did not even notice that. But I could buy the Shell Helix Ultra 5w40 or Valvoline synpower 5w40 for the same or even less money.....Which in my opinion are better oils......
I don't really know at the end of the day is personal choice.
Some people say it does make a difference (They can 'hear' the engine sound).
I have purchased Shell Helix Ultra - Valvoline Synpower and Penrite HPR 5w40 Diesel. All for comparison sake......I might grab a Castrol Edge titanium if on special to compare/.

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

I am a novice when it comes to oils yet I still want to buy the best available because I see quality oil as cheap insurance.
As I've said before I used Shell Helix Ultra in my last i30 which was literally running like new when I sold it at 136,000 kms.
I have no complaints with that oil and as has been suggested, then why not continue using that one? And I did intend to.
But I watch this thread with interest. When the new car arrives is Mobil 1 a better oil and likely to bring greater benefits in the long-term?  :confused:
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
I had the Penrite oil put in at last service 2 weeks ago (if they actually used it). I think at cold, the engine is slightly noisier, but fine when warm or at cruising speed.  :confused:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline i30niko

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      ADELAIDE, SA, AUSTRALIA
I am a novice when it comes to oils yet I still want to buy the best available because I see quality oil as cheap insurance.
As I've said before I used Shell Helix Ultra in my last i30 which was literally running like new when I sold it at 136,000 kms.
I have no complaints with that oil and as has been suggested, then why not continue using that one? And I did intend to.
But I watch this thread with interest. When the new car arrives is Mobil 1 a better oil and likely to bring greater benefits in the long-term?  :confused:

I do not believe that you will notice any difference from a Shell Helix to a Mobil 1 in the long term other than your wallet.
Yes the mobil1 probably does have more synthetic content BUT honestly for an every day commuter in an every day car it is hard to justify this.....

As I said to pip in another post - My little brother inherited a Hyundai excel 98, and we would always use oils such as Valvoline Engine Armor 10w40 and that sort of mineral based crap.....

We had bought it used (Now has 300,000K on the clock) and never had a single problem with the engine. (still going strong and I think it can do another 100,000K with ease).

If I Had a ferrari or was doing V8 racing then it becomes relevant......

Pip
because your brother's Excel didnt blow up on crap oil

I do not believe that you will notice any difference from a Shell Helix to a Mobil 1 in the long term other than your wallet.
Yes the mobil1 probably does have more synthetic content BUT honestly for an every day commuter in an every day car it is hard to justify this.....

As I said to pip in another post - My little brother inherited a Hyundai excel 98, and we would always use oils such as Valvoline Engine Armor 10w40 and that sort of mineral based crap.....

We had bought it used (Now has 300,000K on the clock) and never had a single problem with the engine. (still going strong and I think it can do another 100,000K with ease).

If I Had a ferrari or was doing V8 racing then it becomes relevant......

Impecable logic Niko, I can't disagree with any of that at all.

However to put it in persective, if you change your oil once a year, as most here will, then the cost difference between Shell and Mobil, to use your example, is less than 50 cents a week. If you consider oil as a consumable like fuel it's about a quarter of a tank.

I know you were not implying that our diesel would be equally happy with crap oil just because you brother's Excel didn't blow up but while, as you say, it may be just an every day commuter, the turbo-charged diesel engine is quite sophisticated with significantly greater oil needs than some other engines which I think justifies spending a few bob more to ensure its longevity. From my perspective it is my Ferrari. :)

But to DB08's question whether mobil 1 0w40 is any better than some other good oils? Probably not but never-the-less it's in the pipeline for my next change in a few weeks. :happydance:

It's a little thicker than my current fill so I'm particularly interested to see whether it knocks my economy.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal