i30 Owners Club

Rustynutz' GD i30 CRDi Test Drive

Guest · 18 · 15004

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Well, I've just got back home from test driving a GD i30 here in Townsville....

Unfortunately, the only diesel with manual transmission was the base model "Active".
Not to worry, I was mainly interested in seeing how the 6 speed felt.
After going for a drive I can see why everyone raves about the 6 speeder, it's so much smoother than the old 5 speed.... :goodjob:

Now, this part is bizarre as, according to Daz, the i30 he drove was doing 2000rpm at 110kph, this one was showing approximately 2200rpm and approximately 1900rpm at 100kph.

At those speeds the diesel seemed fairly quiet but, the same couldn't be said when pottering around side streets, I was surprised how intrusive the engine was...more so than my FD i30, well that was the impression I got anyhow..... :eek:

Another thing I noticed and which really irked me the more I drove was the accelerator pedal....it had no feel to it!
I can only assume it had something to do with the way it pivots from the floor, unlike the old model i30.

Yet another thing I didn't like, and I know it sounds trivial but Hyundai have done away with the spring loaded drink bottle holders in the centre console, now they just have 2 holes....bad move in my opinion as I reckon the old ones were the best around.

While waiting for the salesperson after my test drive I checked out the boot compartment in an "Elite" and the first thing I noticed was that the so called "carpet" on the floor looked similar to what they have used in the cheaper Accent.....and frankly, it looks bloody cheap, I think I'd rather what's fitted in my old car...

By now you're probably thinking I was a little bit underwhelmed by this test drive, and I guess you'd probably be right!
It's amazing how different this drive was compared to my previous drive in the diesel 6 speed auto "Active". Maybe it's because I got to test drive this car on my own and wasn't distracted by the salesperson?.... :undecided:

So now I'm not quite so enthusiastic towards the new i30 and if I was in the position of being able to update tomorrow, I'm not so sure the GD would be so firmly planted at the top of the list.....Hmmm, maybe I'll need yet another test drive???.....  :whistler:

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales

Unfortunately, the only diesel with manual transmission was the base model "Active".
After going for a drive I can see why everyone raves about the 6 speeder, it's so much smoother than the old 5 speed.... :goodjob:

Now, this part is bizarre as, according to Daz, the i30 he drove was doing 2000rpm at 110kph, this one was showing approximately 2200rpm and approximately 1900rpm at 100kph.

At those speeds the diesel seemed fairly quiet but, the same couldn't be said when pottering around side streets, I was surprised how intrusive the engine was...more so than my FD i30, well that was the impression I got anyhow..... :eek:

Another thing I noticed and which really irked me the more I drove was the accelerator pedal....it had no feel to it!
I can only assume it had something to do with the way it pivots from the floor, unlike the old model i30.

Yet another thing I didn't like, and I know it sounds trivial but Hyundai have done away with the spring loaded drink bottle holders in the centre console, now they just have 2 holes....bad move in my opinion as I reckon the old ones were the best around.

While waiting for the salesperson after my test drive I checked out the boot compartment in an "Elite" and the first thing I noticed was that the so called "carpet" on the floor looked similar to what they have used in the cheaper Accent.....and frankly, it looks bloody cheap, I think I'd rather what's fitted in my old car...

By now you're probably thinking I was a little bit underwhelmed by this test drive, and I guess you'd probably be right!
It's amazing how different this drive was compared to my previous drive in the diesel 6 speed auto "Active". Maybe it's because I got to test drive this car on my own and wasn't distracted by the salesperson?.... :undecided:

So now I'm not quite so enthusiastic towards the new i30 and if I was in the position of being able to update tomorrow, I'm not so sure the GD would be so firmly planted at the top of the list.....Hmmm, maybe I'll need yet another test drive???.....  :whistler:

Hey Rusty, good read.
also hear i was thinking you were in Victoria?
well there might be different final ratio diff's? but i noticed the Tyre profile sure looked bigger than my 16" SLX mags has so that would give larger turn, this was on the?? middle of the range?? was auto Diesel but i would not test drive as only like manual myself.
Rusty my 6 speed old model CRDi is doing same revs or close to what you just said, think it does about 2,000rpm @ about 97kph on GPS & 100kph on speedo but just a rough observation on the speed @ 2,000 as gps digital & gauge needle but its close to 100kph @ 2000rev. so lower geared than what Dazz drove, alspo Alan noted his is doing lower rev at same speed than mine.

some things on new model i like but as did not test drive i can't say how i feel. but i like the look of the Velosta Turbo so might drive one see if i like or not.

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
Interesting comments, Rusty.
I might go and cancel my order for my Active diesel manual and then slash my wrists.  :lol:
I agree with you about the diesel engine noise intrusion in the GD and I mentioned this in my short "report" too but I thought that as it was a subjective (read ears) test, it might have been just my perception. But as you picked the same thing, maybe there is something in it.
I also agree with you about the "piano" type accelerator too, hinging from the floor - I don't like them.
As for the cup holders, again, I can't disagree. It is a backward step but not a deal breaker for me.
As for the quality of carpets (not only in the back but right through the car) I have always been critical of this in Hyundais and I haven't seen anything yet to make me change my mind. It is like processed cardboard and needs improving.
Hyundai have obviously lifted their game in relation to road noise but I assume that this was achieved by other methods and not as a giant leap in carpet quality.
Hyundai needs to benchmark Volvo for their carpet material. I can't speak for new Volvos but old Volvos had superb quality carpets. I know they are in a different price range but carpets are not that expensive. In fact, it wouldn't surprise me if Hyundai owned a carpet manufacturing company using Australian wool.  :lol:
I am looking forward to getting the six speed manual with the U2 engine though and I am also looking forward to being able to upgrade the car to my taste as I enjoy playing with things.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

Hey Rusty, good read.
also hear i was thinking you were in Victoria?
well there might be different final ratio diff's? but i noticed the Tyre profile sure looked bigger than my 16" SLX mags has so that would give larger turn, this was on the?? middle of the range?? was auto Diesel but i would not test drive as only like manual myself.
Rusty my 6 speed old model CRDi is doing same revs or close to what you just said, think it does about 2,000rpm @ about 97kph on GPS & 100kph on speedo but just a rough observation on the speed @ 2,000 as gps digital & gauge needle but its close to 100kph @ 2000rev. so lower geared than what Dazz drove, alspo Alan noted his is doing lower rev at same speed than mine.

some things on new model i like but as did not test drive i can't say how i feel. but i like the look of the Velosta Turbo so might drive one see if i like or not.

Thanks John...

I normally do reside in Victoria but currently I'm on holiday and doing a bit of a road trip.

According to the specs, the wheel size is the same for both "Active" & "Elite". And it's the same with the tyres..... :confused:

There's only the one lot of dif ratios listed for all the manual versions too so dunno what caused the variation between Daz's test vehicle and mine..... :undecided:

But, one thing I have discovered, the Oz GD 6 speed manual shares the same gear and final drive ratios as the 6 speed manual in the FD which does account for the similarities between your i30's rpm's at 100kph and the GD's, John...  :D :goodjob:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
I wonder if there's less noise intrusion in the higher models  :exclaim:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Don't go slashing your wrists just yet, mate..... :-[

All this is very subjective and maybe the engine just seems a bit noisier because it's not run in..... :undecided:

Regardless, I'm sure you'll love your new car.... :goodjob:

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Nice review Rusty. I'll split it into a thread of its own I think...
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

All this is very subjective and maybe the engine just seems a bit noisier because it's not run in..... :undecided:

Thanks Rusty, I know.  :)
It's interesting that my initial response was the same with the low speed noise though and I actually told the salesman that.
Dave
  • Tertius the i30

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P
  • Keeping it in the family!

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
It's a shame that they haven't "standardised" the carpets across the range, the carpets in the i40 are much more substantial than the i30 or ix20 I had previously and in the UK (don't know about other markets) they have the following which helps keep the noise levels down;

"The new acoustic package ensures materials such as air permeable carpet, sound absorbing layers for engine-room encapsulation, and textile wheel-arch liners  absorb noise sources from engine, road, and muffler, providing a 20% improvement in interior noise levels (on Articulation Index), and a reduction in outside engine noise when idling (compared to an i40 without these features)."

I would say though that the textile wheel arch liners come with their own problems, they tend to hold on to grass and grit, I would say it is vital to give them a good hose down when washing the car, much harder to keep clean than the traditional plastic arch liners :undecided:
  • Kia Sportage 3, 1.7 CRDi EcoDynamics

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
That's amazing Bumpkin, 20% is a HUGE difference.  :Shocked:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Interesting feedback Rusty  :goodjob:

My estimate of the RPM on the GD manual being 2000 at 110KPH was only approximate  :undecided:

I seemed considerably below what it was in my old 5 speed (maybe i was doing say 108kph and it was doing a tad over 2000RPM.

I wasn't making a specific measurement (just an observation)
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales

I can't say if the U2 engine is noisier or not as i'm deaf  LOL, but it have a nicer Torque delivery, if you don't drive hard and are a lazy manual Driver used to high Torque @ low rev motors like me you will like the U2 motor as they seem to pull smoother in all gears from the lower revs. but doubt there is any performance gain with the U2 I think its the same motor with just improved tune. there is no jerky spot in thrird gear like my Betsy had, it did not worry me that much. just this one does not have it. gets great economy too.
Hey Rusty, you have a great time up there! last trip up there i was on my bike, that Bruce Hwy is the most borring stretch of road as you can't see the beautiful coastline, but there is some really beautifull places up there to see. how is the i30 performing?
also watch out for those speed camera's up there very sneaky lot!

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Hey Rusty, you have a great time up there! last trip up there i was on my bike, that Bruce Hwy is the most borring stretch of road as you can't see the beautiful coastline, but there is some really beautifull places up there to see. how is the i30 performing?
also watch out for those speed camera's up there very sneaky lot!

Thanks John!  :goodjob:

Yeah, my i30 is performing great, I'm getting more and more impressed the further I drive.
The seats have proved comfortable and 1000 kilometre days are easily doable.

Been watching for speed cameras so hopefully I haven't been nabbed but it's easy enough to miss them.
I've been using the "cruise" and setting my speed via the GPS so fingers crossed I don't get a nasty surprise when I get home.

I know what you mean about the "Bruce". Originally I intended heading up here inland but the lack of available accommodation convinced me to take the longer route. I'm thinkin" I might take my chances going home.... :undecided:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
I never get bored driving on any road, our country presents all kinds of scenery and just getting away from home can be a pleasant experience. Just enjoy your car and put on some music and be thankful you don't have to worry about IED's and the like. :)

Edit.

I'd probably set CC a couple under indicated GPS, I'm not sure but as it's not a military device the grid and update frequencies may not be as accurate as we think.

@Fatboy, do you have any info regarding gps accuracy  :question:

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
An interesting review Rusty and somewhat of a surprise.

I cannot comment on the cup holders because my 2010 i30 did not have any with springs - in fact the door bottle holders and the double cup holders in the new model are a great improvement over my previous i30. 

I can only imagine that the Australian Active model is not as well insulated as the UK i30 Style. You may recall that I used a decibel meter to compare cabin noise levels between my previous Premium i30, the new i30 and the equivalent Golf. This indicated that the new car had much lower cabin noise levels than the previous model and was at least the equal of the Golf.

There is always the possibility of course that the old model in Australia was much better noise insulated than the old model in the UK - which would perhaps explain why your comparison differs from mine.

Regarding carpet quality - my new car is the same as my old model and about the same as my previous Audi A3 and Audi A4 - but not of the quality of an Audi A6 I owned a few years ago. I bought a rather effective Hyundai boot liner for the new car which has carpet one side and pimpled rubber on the other. It has proved to have been a wise investment because my car has been used as a waste skip on a few occasions as rubbish left over from our house move has been trundled to the tip.

Like you, I initially found that the organ type accelerator pedal felt different - but within hours I no longer noticed it and have not found it a problem. I may even prefer its lighter action. For sure my wife prefers it because she has smaller feet. The old car pedal was rather a stretch from the floor and her foot got tired after an hour or so.

I am getting a feeling that Hyundai have applied different standards in Europe to the rest of the World. They set out to give the Golf a run for its money in Europe - hence we get proper multi-link independent rear suspension. You get trailing arm torsion beam which will probably results in handling and noise transmission differences compared with euro cars. (I am not suggesting one is better than the other - only pointing out a major difference). Perhaps we get better carpets and noise insulation - who knows?

« Last Edit: September 20, 2012, 07:41:27 by AlanHo »
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Some good points there and I'd like to know.
  • Tertius the i30

Pip
The multi-link rear was one of my positives when choosing the FD.  I would consider the torsion beam a penny-pinching step backward but there are always lots of things that the average consumer would not know about nor care so Hy's decision is understandable.

Just the same, such decisions will be noted by the motoring press as a move in the wrong direction. :undecided:

Offline babis_xo

• V.I.P
  • 6* dummy

• gr Greece
      Body lives in Athens, heart in Thessaloniki

• ...em ot keerG lla s'ti
 :whsaid:

... I am getting a feeling that Hyundai have applied different standards in Europe to the rest of the World. They set out to give the Golf a run for its money in Europe - hence we get proper multi-link independent rear suspension. You get trailing arm torsion beam which will probably results in handling and noise transmission differences compared with euro cars. (I am not suggesting one is better than the other ...
such a lousy marketing move :disapp:
  • 1.4 HB Classic '09 White

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal