i30 Owners Club

Auto Transmission or dirty fuel

VinD · 22 · 6994

Offline VinD

• 1st Gear
  • 2008 CRDi SLX Auto - blue

• au Australia
      Canberra
Just joined and hoping to get some advice on if anyone has had a similar problem.

have a 2008 diesel CRDi SLX automatic with 60,000km

Filled car up with a full tank of diesel just before putting it in for its 60K logbook service 1.5 weeks ago and afterwards it's been having a number of problems.

- when cold put into reverse, revs go up but no power
- put into drive, again, revs go up but no power, put into park and then drive and it goes
- sudden surging of revs to over 4,000rpm and then dropping back down again intermittently between gear changes
- rough, clunky gear changes and surging
- when in idle doesn't move forward when foot is not on break, just sits there until you give some accelleration and then limited power after jolting into gear

all of these things are a bit intermittent, sometimes it's ok, othertimes it's shocking! I can't get to work (8km) without one surge and it's not gone into reverse 2 of the past 3 mornings. Been doing it for a about 1.5 weeks now.

Had it back to the service place who re-replaced the fuel filter. Seemed slightly, but not totally better and it's gone steadily downhill since. They said they coudn't figure out anything else they'd done would cause it so suggested taking it back to the dealer. Can't get in for 2 weeks to the dealer and not sure if to even drive it or not.

I read the thread on the automatic transmission problems and am wondering if this is what is wrong, although the engine light has not come on. Also think it could have been a bad batch of diesel causing the problems, and I dread having to try proove that is what it was to the service station and go through that hassle.

Any ideas or experiences of similar problems that have been fixed under warranty?
« Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 07:57:45 by VinD »
  • i30 crdi

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Welcome to the forum VinD,

Bad fuel can not affect how the car moves. It can only affect the running of the engine. The problem as you describe it is that selecting a gear does not cause the car to move, so I would say it's in the transmission. There is a valve which does all the gear selection and some cars have had to have the whole transmission replaced. At 2008, you had better get the dealer involved and suggest that they check this valve out thoroughly.  :neutral:
« Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 09:02:49 by Phil aka 84 »
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline VinD

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra
Thanks for this. Just hope it's something obvious to the dealer and they can fix it under warranty. He did tell me on the phone that it sounded like the auto transmission and asked if the engine light had turned on (as per the other auto transmission problem posts).

Model is October 2008, but I think first registered in 2009 so i've got a bit of time on it. Regardless, I have booked it in with the dealer but there is a 2 week wait. Apparently a surge in warranty claims :(

Maybe it is all just a coincidence that I filled up the tank, got it serviced and the transmission has gone all at once.

So annoying as I really love my little i30 to bits and up until now I haven't have a single complaint about it.
  • i30 crdi

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
I hope it is resolved for you quickly.  :goodjob2:

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
G'day mate,

I'm no mechanic, but if it was bad diesel the problem would be in the engine, as such it wouldn't idle well.

I suspect it is the tranny.
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Welcome VinD,

Really sorry to hear about your troubles are there any other dealers nearby that can help? Maybe contact Hyundai Australia via their website and explain it is a safety issue and can they help you sort it quickly.
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Worst case drive it to the dealer. Say you were going past and it got worse, and you can't drive it any more. Hopefully they will feel obligated to at least have a look at it for you.

If they give you the 2 week story, request a loan car. If this is refused call Icare and get them to sort it out for you and organise a loan car.

They can tow the car to a dealer with a lower work load and get them to fix it for you. From memory they have to diagnose the fault then order a Transmission from somewhere, so it could extent beyond a week.

I believe the valve issue is a different fault, and this can be replaced without ripping out the transmission, but I'm going off my recollection of a post some time ago.
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
Sorry to hear about your car troubles.
I hope your car is still under warranty and if so, back to Hyundai and politely but firmly push the point a little.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
was the car serviced by a Hyundai dealership or a non Hyundai service centre?
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline VinD

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra
Thanks everyone for all your replies. We have a second car so just trying to use that instead for now. I got it serviced at a non-dealer, Kmart tyre and auto, who have said if it is anything they've done they'll honor repairing it, but didn't think it was and they've given it a good look over and rechanged the oil filter for me just to make sure. They suggested going back to the dealer and finding out what it is and letting them know if it was them

Anyway, only time will tell now.

I'll keep you all updated about what it is and how I go with the dealer.

• i30 crdi

ouri30
Thanks everyone for all your replies. We have a second car so just trying to use that instead for now. I got it serviced at a non-dealer, Kmart tyre and auto, who have said if it is anything they've done they'll honor repairing it, but didn't think it was and they've given it a good look over and rechanged the oil filter for me just to make sure. They suggested going back to the dealer and finding out what it is and letting them know if it was them

Anyway, only time will tell now.

I'll keep you all updated about what it is and how I go with the dealer.

And what oil did they use?  A friend of my son had an issue with a Santa Fe serviced at Kmart.  They did not use the correct oil and it caused particulate filter issues which in turn meant the engine didn't run correctly, eventually refusing to start.

Offline constipated

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
It's a worrying trend all these stories about automatic transmissions starting to pop up now four to five years into the life of the i30. I know if I'd gotten an auto, I'd be a bit nervous.
  • MY11 - SLX CRDi 6 speed manual

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Meh, my mate had a clutch replaced in his KIA @ 2 years, so it can happen to anyone, he has a CRDi Auto on order  :neutral:

Offline VinD

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra
Car goes in tomorrow. Fingers crossed for a speedy diagnosis and repair.
  • i30 crdi

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Car goes in tomorrow. Fingers crossed for a speedy diagnosis and repair.

Yep, good luck! :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline VinD

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra
Good News (if you can call it that).

Diagnosed as faulty automatic transmission.
Will be totally replaced under warranty. :happydance:

For other/ future readers. it is apparently happening in 10-20% of the early automatic models with some cheaper fluids and parts being used and responsible for the failure. It is easy to diagnose. Apparently my automatic transmission fluid was black, there was no question about it. They put in a reconditioned automatic transmission from what I can understand. They put in an order, should have one in in 2-5 days and get me back in for a replacement. I'm assuming my transmission will then be sent off to be reconditioned for the next warranty case.

Here's hoping they get it in before the long weekend, but I suspect that is totally wishful thinking.

will give you all an update after its little operation and let you know if it's all rinky-dinky.

• i30 crdi

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Well, at least you know what the problem is and the solution is in progress.  :goodjob2:

Offline constipated

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
For other/ future readers. it is apparently happening in 10-20% of the early automatic models with some cheaper fluids and parts being used and responsible for the failure.

That's a shocking failure rate if you don't mind me saying for such a popular car.

It'd be enough for me to warn anyone contemplating an automatic i30 out of warranty to stay away.
  • MY11 - SLX CRDi 6 speed manual

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
great outcome.  :goodjob2: :goodjob:  does the crdi auto trans have a dipstick like the petrol automatic does?  :undecided:

Offline VinD

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra
 Had my car back a month or so now and seems to be going ok. slight hiccup with kmart overfilling the oil so was back to them and then the blinkers stopped working and started working again as randomly as they started.
  • i30 crdi

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
 :faint: :undecided:

Offline Hornet

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Queensland
The CRDI auto has a dipstick but I am not aware that it is similar to the petrol auto.
  • i30 CW CRDI 1.6l Auto 2011

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal