i30 Owners Club

What oil do the dealers use

Offline Carlyboy

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
What is the standard oil the dealers use when servicing the current model I30 petrol? I understand that it's 10W/30 and fully synthetic? Is this correct? - as I'm thinking of doing the 6 monthly change myself (and will do the regular 12 months 15k ones through the dealer? I feel that this is too long between drinks and plan to do the mid ones myself. Also, the car does do short trips. I will use Hyundai OEM oil filter so that they're none the wiser and won't void the warranty.

I don't want to deviate from the standard oil that they use. This information will also be uselfull if topping up the oil.
  • 2013 I30 petrol

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
Not sure what grade your dealer is using,ask them,I have had both of ours seviced at three different dealers,ALL have used different oil,yes they use full Syn,but everything I have been told by different dealers they buy what ever is the cheapest for them at the time,I now supply my own oils and filters,even when having the dealers do the service, call me weird but all my other vehicles have always been serviced with the same oils,I choose to use Penrite,but that is my personal choice,everyone has their own views on oils as you will find out.
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline Carlyboy

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
Thanks. I'll phone around a few dealers to see what they do use. You're right, I don't want to open up a Pandora's box here when ten people all reply with ten different oil grades and brands that they use. I really just want to know what the standard oil is that is used when dealer's service your car. However, what grade oil do you use?
  • 2013 I30 petrol

Offline Eureka

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
Like Rick says, there probably isn't one "standard oil" that the dealers use for servicing.  They should be using oil that meets Hyundai's specifications, but there would be more than one oil that meets the specs. 

To ensure the same oil is always used you could supply the oil when they service your car. 

Before I did my first oil change on my CRDi, I checked and re-checked to make sure I had an oil that met the specs.  I phoned Castrol at one point and the adviser said he had heard of someone using the wrong oil in a Mazda 3 diesel and causing $6000 damage.

Since the first oil change that I did, the oil has been changed at least once by a dealer and I did not worry too much about what they used, but now I do all the oil changes.

Members here should be able to tell you what to use in a petrol i30, but perhaps it doesn't matter too much if the dealers use something different. (???)   

• SX crdi manual 2007

Pip
As said, we think dealers choose their oil the same way we do and it will probably vary month to month, dealer by dealer.

There is a topic devoted to oils etc. https://www.i30ownersclub.com/forum/index.php?action=forum#c13

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
I would suggest the dealers would use the cheapest oil they could get that meets Hyundai's requirements. Every dealer I asked said they were using 'Hyundai blend' I don't believe that Hyundai would bother going to the expense to bring their own oil over here when they can get it cheaper elsewhere.

There was a list of various approved oils from the chief Hyundai dude in the oil section, I'm not sure if this was limited to the diesel engine or not.

Either way, the manual will give you a guide as to the specs required. As long as you follow these, all will be sweet.
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline Eureka

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
If you are not familiar with oils, even reading the manual won't always clarify things.   I didn't know if my car was fitted with a "Catalyzed Particulate filter" or not, and that made a difference as to what oil I could use. 
  • SX crdi manual 2007

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
Thanks. I'll phone around a few dealers to see what they do use. You're right, I don't want to open up a Pandora's box here when ten people all reply with ten different oil grades and brands that they use. I really just want to know what the standard oil is that is used when dealer's service your car. However, what grade oil do you use?
carlyboy
I have a diesel I use 5w/40 penrite, full Syn
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline Eureka

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
His i30 is petrol.  I just talked about my 'oil' experiences with my diesel to illustrate, I suppose, that it's not always easy to work out what oil to use in any car, especially if you are not familiar with oils. 

The oil companies' web sites should be of some help. 
  • SX crdi manual 2007

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Found this from 2010 in case you didn't find it.

https://www.i30ownersclub.com/forum/index.php?topic=5276.0 Should give you a few ideas.

You can go to the various oil companies online and do a 'suggest oil' thing. Otherwise you can go old school and go into your local auto supply place. They will have the same information in book form.

Enjoy

Offline Carlyboy

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
OK. After asking ten different people including dealers, oil companies and hyundai themselves and getting ten different answers, I decided to buy both the oil filter and oil directly from my Hyundai dealer.

It's in a 5 litre container and it says that It's synthetic technology engine oil 10W/30 and has the Shell emblem on the container and it also says Hyundai oil on it, The service rep. assures me that this is the same oil that they use for the current model petrol I30.

So, at least I know that I'm using the exact same oil that is used when my car is serviced at the dealer.

I plan to do six monthly changes myself and have the dealer do the yearly ones. I didn't want to go one year/15,000km between changes and this way, the dealer won't know about the additional oil changes  and possibly voiding the warranty - as I'm using a Hyundai oil filer.
  • 2013 I30 petrol

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Out of curiosity how much was the oil?

Offline Carlyboy

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
It came to $53 including GST for the oil and filter. So It's no more expensive than getting a filter and oil from Supercheap Auto. Plus, the filter came with a new washer for the sump plug.
  • 2013 I30 petrol

Pip
So, at least I know that I'm using the exact same oil that is used when my car is serviced at the dealer.
Yep!
They will choose oil much like we do... cheapest that fits minimum requirements.

You can always do better.

Offline Carlyboy

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
Yeah understand. Another thing too, I didn't want to use a different oil type and viscosity during my change and then the dealer use a different one again during their change.
  • 2013 I30 petrol

Pip
If you were worried about mixing oils, I wouldn't worry.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Yeah understand. Another thing too, I didn't want to use a different oil type and viscosity during my change and then the dealer use a different one again during their change.

So why not just supply your own oil when you have the dealer performed service? 
Many of our forum members do just that...  :undecided:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal