i30 Owners Club

Acceleration issues take 2

Zhangster · 57 · 18692

Offline Zhangster

• 3rd Gear

• dk Denmark
Hi guys

I have lately notices my engine preformance is not what it used to be..   tbh i have since i got the car noticed that it could change preformance from each trip i go... but at the time i just though it was me goin crazy and it probably just was me getting used that kick it gives when u take off.

anyway.... now im sure its a issue...  its abit hard to describe it but ill give it a try..

when i notice the issue the engine is cold or hot does not matter.... same thing... but yet seems to be slightly worse when hot...  when i accelerate and goes though 1-2-3-4 and if u floor it nothing.... it takes revs pass 3000 and up.... if u wanna do so.. but it slowly gain speed up to 100km/h and if u r drivin at the highway and wanna go like 140 km/h which i wanna do :P   it gets there slowly... i dont feel any pull from the engine...it just slowly gets there...  where i mostly notice it is if someone pulls out at the highway at say 120km and i have to brake down and when he pulls back in and i wanna pass him... it takes ages to pass him.. it cant be right i got 116hp turbo diesel engine and a old opel kadett 1.4 petrol with 600.000km on its back nails me in accerelation.... it cant be right..  :rolleyes:

and then on other trips its just takes off like jet plane.... no lack of speed gain... it just pull like freight train..
i simply dont understand it...  anyway i took it to the dealer and let him run a test on it... no faults... then he dropped the bomb... r u sure its a 116hp engine u have in ya car?.. i went  :eek: what r u talkin about?  and he said... u can always see if u r have a 90 or 115hp engine in the engine compartment.. by the air intake valve.. if its controlled by a vacuum hoses.. its a 90hp and if its a 115hp its controlled by electronic control air intake valve.... i looked down and it was a vacuum hoses... my head started to spin.. WTF the dealer have cheated me ?  the mecanic said he wasent sure and he would call hyundai in denmark to confirm that it was true or not.... 15min after he returned and said it was  a 116hp engine and for a strange reason have made some with vacuum hoses ..apprently some of the first ones made in 2007...
oh well... i was releaved that i didt have to call the dealer i got it from and kick his ass but it still didt explain why my car is slow...  and since im only 2.500km from my 60k service i said we could look at it there unless it become worse.... and he agreed... he gave me a bell add and he think i should try it... he also asked me about where i get my diesel from ... and i have tanked diesel 3 different places after now and no changes..

so i dont believe its the diesel that is the issues..

i let u know if i get anything news...

cheers all

one puzzled dan  :eek:

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Very strange Dan, no wonder you are concerned.

Know what I'd do?  I'd disconnect the battery -ve lead for an hour and let the ECU drain down. It's something someone once told me, that if you let the ECU reset it will "learn" how you drive, starting from scratch.

Does that make any sense?
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Zhangster

• 3rd Gear

• dk Denmark
Very strange Dan, no wonder you are concerned.

Know what I'd do?  I'd disconnect the battery -ve lead for an hour and let the ECU drain down. It's something someone once told me, that if you let the ECU reset it will "learn" how you drive, starting from scratch.

Does that make any sense?

yeah it does... i have been thinking the same... tbh i think i let the dealer do so... as long i got warrenty on the car im not gonna fool around with anything... and again.. its their responsible to get it fixed.

im also have a theory its one of the sensors for the diesel... and maybe the intercooler...  but what do i know?

Offline accim

• 6th Gear

• si Slovenia
      Slovenia

• Europe - Slovenia
    • Flickr
If you disconnect your battery it wont harm your car. Only the ECU will "reset". I would also take it to dealer and tell them to check everything out. The reason that it sometimes works great and next time not, is probably due to some sensor or ECU failure or something like that.. The engine probably gets wrong "signals" what pressure or amount of fuel/air/etc it has to pump the engine/turbine with and drives like that. At first I thought it goes to "safe-mode", but if you say you can drive over 3,000rpm, than that's not the issue here.

Please do write on the forum when they figure out what the problem was. Hope you solve your problem as soon as possible  :rolleyes:

Offline Zhangster

• 3rd Gear

• dk Denmark
If you disconnect your battery it wont harm your car. Only the ECU will "reset". I would also take it to dealer and tell them to check everything out. The reason that it sometimes works great and next time not, is probably due to some sensor or ECU failure or something like that.. The engine probably gets wrong "signals" what pressure or amount of fuel/air/etc it has to pump the engine/turbine with and drives like that. At first I thought it goes to "safe-mode", but if you say you can drive over 3,000rpm, than that's not the issue here.

Please do write on the forum when they figure out what the problem was. Hope you solve your problem as soon as possible  :rolleyes:

yup... i suspected as much... but for a strange reason the test of the car didt reveal any faults... so this gonna be tricky.... i do agree is something with the ecu or sensors but finding the problem will be tricky.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi Zhangster  ..

Try the battery thing M8 it can't do any harm as the others said.

I have worked with Electrical appliances for about 12 out of the last 16 years and it's amazing what unplugging them for a while can do to fix strange problems...
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
^--- I agree.

Get it unplugged for an hour then see how you get on.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
... then he dropped the bomb..... by the air intake valve..

if its controlled by a vacuum hoses.. its a 90hp and if its a 115hp its controlled by electronic control air intake valve.... i looked down and it was a vacuum hoses...

Me not being a techi any pictures of your vacuum hose so I know what I am looking for.

I have a sticker on the door pillar which say 115ps but I would like to check.

cheers.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Zhangster

• 3rd Gear

• dk Denmark
^--- I agree.

Get it unplugged for an hour then see how you get on.

battery unplugged.... lets see what it does...   :eek:

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
tick.. tock.. tick.. tock..

Offline Zhangster

• 3rd Gear

• dk Denmark
okay.... that sucked.... now my esp says its off... ignition off and on didt helped and pushing the esp bottom did not either...  :question: :eek:

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
Sorry to hear about troubles mate,
but if you have indeed got a 90HP motor there is no way in the world unplugging the battery will turn it into a 116HP motor.
but unplugging battery then re conecting it will re set everything, BUT when you reconect on most any car now you turn on ignition, then turn off wait then turn on again and it's a born again baby :lol:
cheers

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
okay.... that sucked.... now my esp says its off... ignition off and on didt helped and pushing the esp bottom did not either...  :question: :eek:

That's correct. Mine does the same. But the light should go off once you've turned the engine off, removed the key, then restarted.

Offline Zhangster

• 3rd Gear

• dk Denmark
sadly.... it dont shambles.. i tried it.. hehe  maybe after i take it for a spin it will switch off? :question:

Offline Zhangster

• 3rd Gear

• dk Denmark
Sorry to hear about troubles mate,
but if you have indeed got a 90HP motor there is no way in the world unplugging the battery will turn it into a 116HP motor.
but unplugging battery then re conecting it will re set everything, BUT when you reconect on most any car now you turn on ignition, then turn off wait then turn on again and it's a born again baby :lol:
cheers

hi m8...

the mechanic told it was correct i have 115hp engine.. he just didt know it was born with that vacuum thingy... but hyundai apprently made a few with the same configuration as the 90hp... just with 115hp.....

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
sadly.... it dont shambles.. i tried it.. hehe  maybe after i take it for a spin it will switch off? :question:

Yes that should do it... I hope.

When I had my 2nd keyfob reprogrammed the dealer had cocked it all up and had to leave my beloved Fergie high and dry without juice for a few hours. When I got her back my ESP OFF light was on. After I'd driven her a while I stopped, removed the key, then restarted and she was fine.

I also followed some advice Thumper (god bless him) gave regarding removing the tuning box I fitted. Can't remember the exact advice but it was something to do with letting the ECU know when the box had been disconnected. After I'd removed my box I disconnected the battery and let the ECU calm down, but the ESP OFF light stayed on when I reconnected the battery until I'd driven for a while, turned off, removed key, then restarted,

Good luck Gangster

Offline Zhangster

• 3rd Gear

• dk Denmark
hi m8

just picked up my drunk girl friend from a town party (must have been at good one.. drunk no money left and she got a tatoo..wtf did i miss out there ?  :mrgreen: :lol: )... and it was on all the way there and back..  so i guess its back to the dealer tomorrow morning....  the car did feel as it old self... quick and responsive.. but i also have a theory that could be that the temperatures outside is cold...  = better condition for the intercooler.. = better boost....  ill see if there any change tomorrow morning when i drive it to the dealer..

dan the gangster   :lol:

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Ok Dan - good luck mate (with the i30, not with the drunk g/f, although......)

Offline jasonw

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

• i30cw CRDi 1.6 Auto Vivid Blue
I'm not a car savy person but from reading and investigating how the diesel engines run etc, could it be that the turbo is not being used for some reason? An 85kw engine without a turbo would feel laggy and not have too much guts in it, could be that your turbo is being used sometimes but not always. Based on the ESP light though you may just have a banged up ECU as it will also control turbo usage as well?

Does that make sense?

Jay.

Offline Zhangster

• 3rd Gear

• dk Denmark
I'm not a car savy person but from reading and investigating how the diesel engines run etc, could it be that the turbo is not being used for some reason? An 85kw engine without a turbo would feel laggy and not have too much guts in it, could be that your turbo is being used sometimes but not always. Based on the ESP light though you may just have a banged up ECU as it will also control turbo usage as well?

Does that make sense?

Jay.

hi m8 

ehm...  well the ecu is the heart in the car...  so yes it could be that... and many other reasons... hehehe..  well tbh i do find hard to believe that it should be the ecu cuz if it is... i would probably have experiance other problems aswell.
the ecu light could be a simple matter of clear any faults with the dealers tester and im off again.. whats bothers me if i can reset the ecu and it all is back to normal... it tells me that it might be a sensor that periodicly is malfunctioning. and its only matter of time before it does it again... and when it does the ecu will adjust to the new condition...  the ecu is rather smart..  but again this is just a thought of mine.... now im off for work and dealership... hope he can tell me more. :question:

dan

Offline accim

• 6th Gear

• si Slovenia
      Slovenia

• Europe - Slovenia
    • Flickr
picture added

:mrgreen:

And what to most 116 hp engines have there? Could anyone post some pic? Thanks

Zhangster: hope they fix your car or at least tell you what the reason is :rolleyes:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net

And what to most 116 hp engines have there? Could anyone post some pic? Thanks

From this thread of my motor looks much the same (too cold and dark to go out now ...) 

https://www.i30ownersclub.com/forum/index.php/topic,2304.msg20893.html#msg20893
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
I'll go take a pic of mine...

Offline Zhangster

• 3rd Gear

• dk Denmark
hi m8

just picked up my drunk girl friend from a town party (must have been at good one.. drunk no money left and she got a tatoo..wtf did i miss out there ?  :mrgreen: :lol: )... and it was on all the way there and back..  so i guess its back to the dealer tomorrow morning....  the car did feel as it old self... quick and responsive.. but i also have a theory that could be that the temperatures outside is cold...  = better condition for the intercooler.. = better boost....  ill see if there any change tomorrow morning when i drive it to the dealer..

dan the gangster   :lol:

Hi guys

sometimes it seems that things happents at random... :)  but when i reversed out of my garage this morning.. the Esp off light... turned off...  :razz:

so i did not go to the dealership...  no reason really...    and the car did behave as it normally do... quick and responsive....   did take a trip to a shop ..  about 100km trip....highway all the way basicly.....  did take it to high speeds aswell... i guess if the cops been there i would lost my license a few times.... oh well   :mrgreen: who can say they never done that? hehehehe.. 

anyway... at the back home.. it started to acting slow again...  what i tried to notice was:  where i get the those dead spots.... and to me it seems if u go like 110km/h and u floor it and up to 140km/h it takes along time... this is in 5th gear... revs is 2200 and after it passed like 29-3000 its starts to get its ass goin.. from 140km/h to 160km/h dont take that long..  i hope this make sense to u guys...  i have tried to see how far i could do in 4th gear.. and it pass the "comfort zone" of rev (4000ish ) its about 140km/h.

when i had to get off the highway again.... i tried to see if i could rev it and get a quick start from 0 km/h...and it took off like a rocket.. if the esp wasent engaged it would have made wheel spin...  to me it seems like it has a dead spot in medium/high speeds.. like its not getting fuel enuff or something...

stupid car  :rolleyes:   :mrgreen:

drive as u should or dont drive at all :D hehehehe

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
In the UK we have a phrase..

Barking Mad

(and I don't mean the doggie in the window :lol: )

Offline Zhangster

• 3rd Gear

• dk Denmark
In the UK we have a phrase..

Barking Mad

(and I don't mean the doggie in the window :lol: )

who me? or the car ?  :lol:

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

picture added

[https://www.i30ownersclub.com/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=3453.0;attach=1121;image]

Vacuum, therefore 90hp not 115ps which you thought you had.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

Same as mine which is 115 ps.

I believe UK diesels are now 90 ps so the road tax is £35.00 per year.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

Zhangster

On Hy Denmark's site it shows 2 models for the i30 comfort - 90 hk and 115 hk
and an i30 classic at 90 hk.
Check your sales invoice for model bought and if wrong get back to dealers and request the correct car.

Just remind me, apologies if you have mentioned model before, which model did you buy?

http://www.hyundai.dk/default.asp?pageid=12&nodeid={FB5A8E4F-1A42-4B4C-9499-919571334A89}&mode=specs

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal