i30 Owners Club

Best oil

Offline bensintic

• 2nd Gear
Im getting my car service but im buying my own oil what brand of oil is the best so my car drives zippy for longer i30 gd2 2014 auto petrol
  • i30 gd2 petrol

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Shell Ultra is good stuff 5W-30 or 5W-40, Nulon is also a great product.

Offline wbm00

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      West Midlands, UK
Where are you based? For European models there is a table in the owner manual which lists the preferred oil (Shell Helix) as well as other recommended brands.
  • 2014 i30 GD 1.4i 98ps 6-speed manual

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Where are you based? For European models there is a table in the owner manual which lists the preferred oil (Shell Helix) as well as other recommended brands.
bensintic is based in Australia, Shell Helix + = Shell Ultra :D

Shell is the Hyundai company recommended oil world wide I believe.

Offline Dodgetracker

• 2nd Gear

• ae United Arab Emirates
      Abu Dhabi
Soon as I get around 500 Miles on the car, I'm most likely going with Mobil 1 5w30 and getting the factory fill oil out. There really isn't a "BEST" oil out there, as long as it meets specs it will be good to go. It just human nature to want that warm and fuzzy about what we use. Hell I get all warm and fuzzy about Mobil 1 so... At least it's a good oil.
  • 2016 i30 1.8 Petrol 6 speed auto

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Considering your location, I would have thought you would want at least 5-40 protection from your oil.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline wbm00

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      West Midlands, UK
Soon as I get around 500 Miles on the car, I'm most likely going with Mobil 1 5w30 and getting the factory fill oil out. There really isn't a "BEST" oil out there, as long as it meets specs it will be good to go. It just human nature to want that warm and fuzzy about what we use. Hell I get all warm and fuzzy about Mobil 1 so... At least it's a good oil.

What's the benefit of doing that?
  • 2014 i30 GD 1.4i 98ps 6-speed manual

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
@bensintic, I forgot to mention that if you can find a Blackwoods store near you Shell Ultra is about $44 through them ( nearly $70 in major auto retailer stores ), ring them first to check on stock and they'll order it if need be.

Offline Dodgetracker

• 2nd Gear

Abu Dhabi
What's the benefit of what? Changing at 500 miles or going with 5w40. I actually meant 5w40 in above post (ooops TYPO)
If you mean 500 miles, then its to get all the early wear metals that come loose from moving engine parts out of the system.
If you mean the Mobil 1 5w40, then its because it's a great quality oil that gives me the warm and fuzzy feeling. I've used Mobil oils for better part of my adult life, They've never let me down. Hope this helps.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Out of interest what interval does the service book say?
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
What's the benefit of what? Changing at 500 miles or going with 5w40. I actually meant 5w40 in above post (ooops TYPO)
If you mean 500 miles, then its to get all the early wear metals that come loose from moving engine parts out of the system.
If you mean the Mobil 1 5w40, then its because it's a great quality oil that gives me the warm and fuzzy feeling. I've used Mobil oils for better part of my adult life, They've never let me down. Hope this helps.
Personally I'd only use mobile1 if using the 0W-40 as that's the one with the PAO group4 base stock ( True synthetic ), that's why I'm recommending Shell Ultra as it's synthetic base stock is formulated from gas which is the start of a much cleaner/pure and longer lasting oil.

Offline Dodgetracker

• 2nd Gear

Abu Dhabi
The change interval in my book says 10000 km. I know Hyundai has a deal with Shell, just not sure what they actually have. When you take cars in for service, they ask you if you want 5000k or 10000k oil. Meaning Dino or synthetic here. Fuel and petroleum stations are owned by the Government,(ADNOC is the name) but there are some specialty shops that are like a Jiffy lube type places and that's where I can get the oil I want or desire albeit it may have to be ordered in. There aren't any stores to just go buy oil here. I still have time so,,, Hyundai is particular about the services here. It really helps to sell a car second hand because of the service documentation. People want to know a vehicle has been serviced at proper times by dealerships here. 10000 km is 6213 miles and todays oils, Dino or Syn can go that distance plus, even in the temps reached here. This car is a GCC spec'd car so it has something going for it in these temps with it's enhancements. I guess I'll have to study on the Shell oils some since I don't know much about them. I've been brand loyal so long I'm sure some stuff has passed me by.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Oils are like most things where the technology keep getting better all the time, Shell Ultra is the latest in oil tech and with the Hy engines being some of the latest in design tech then it's only fitting to use the most advanced oils...if it's good enough for Ferrari then it's good enough for my little Hyundi :goodjob2:

Hyundai do recommend Shell Helix but in Australia it seems only the DVG group Hyundai businesses use it and that is still the shell Helix 8, the AHG group Hyundai seem to use whatever they can find for the cheapest :disapp: Shell Ultra is a higher level :)
« Last Edit: August 06, 2015, 08:41:50 by CraigB »

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
500 mile oil changes are generally a thing of the past. Modern motors don't need it, but if it keeps you warm & fuzzy, then go ahead, do it, don't forget the filter, too.  :)
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline bensintic

• 2nd Gear
  • i30 gd2 petrol

Offline bensintic

• 2nd Gear
@bensintic, I forgot to mention that if you can find a Blackwoods store near you Shell Ultra is about $44 through them ( nearly $70 in major auto retailer stores ), ring them first to check on stock and they'll order it if need be.
Thanks crigeb i got this oil
  • i30 gd2 petrol

Offline bensintic

• 2nd Gear
The change interval in my book says 10000 km. I know Hyundai has a deal with Shell, just not sure what they actually have. When you take cars in for service, they ask you if you want 5000k or 10000k oil. Meaning Dino or synthetic here. Fuel and petroleum stations are owned by the Government,(ADNOC is the name) but there are some specialty shops that are like a Jiffy lube type places and that's where I can get the oil I want or desire albeit it may have to be ordered in. There aren't any stores to just go buy oil here. I still have time so,,, Hyundai is particular about the services here. It really helps to sell a car second hand because of the service documentation. People want to know a vehicle has been serviced at proper times by dealerships here. 10000 km is 6213 miles and todays oils, Dino or Syn can go that distance plus, even in the temps reached here. This car is a GCC spec'd car so it has something going for it in these temps with it's enhancements. I guess I'll have to study on the Shell oils some since I don't know much about them. I've been brand loyal so long I'm sure some stuff has passed me by.
My hyundai  dealer  uses Valvoline oil
  • i30 gd2 petrol

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
I have found that Hyundai dealerships change the "recommended" oil periodically, I'd say due to whatever best price they can get on whichever oil meets the required specifications across the board.
I prefer to use one brand of oil from day 1 until I sell the car which has worked out well for me in the past.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Don't thank me, I didn't recommend that stuff, I hope that isn't the oil filter you purchased :eek: Hyundai wont warrant your engine using aftermarket oil filters...plus the K@N and Royal Purple oil filters are 25 micron - 10 micron is what is required.

Offline bensintic

• 2nd Gear
Don't thank me, I didn't recommend that stuff, I hope that isn't the oil filter you purchased :eek: Hyundai wont warrant your engine using aftermarket oil filters...plus the K@N and Royal Purple oil filters are 25 micron - 10 micron is what is required.
What is 25 or 10 mean
  • i30 gd2 petrol

Offline bensintic

• 2nd Gear
  • i30 gd2 petrol

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Basically it means the size of the particles that are caught in the filter, K@N don't filter the smaller particles and are meant for racing applications where the oil and filters are replaced every race, Hyundai wont warrant those filters as they don't filter the finer particles.

Offline omegaspeedy

• 3rd Gear

• nz New Zealand
      Pukekohe
Repco had a sale on Shell Helix oil today. I got two packs of Shell Helix Ultra 5W40 full synthetic at 40% off normal price!! I'm happy as and will dump the factory fill with 3500km on it. I'll grab a Hyundai filter for the job too. I'm expect the head gear will quiet down a bit with the slightly thicker oil.
  • 2016 i30 Elite Limited 2.0L Auto Phantom Black Pearl

Offline Dodgetracker

• 2nd Gear

Abu Dhabi
Heck ya, that should do you proud.  :goodjob2:

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
That's not a bad deal, so what does 40% off make the discounted price at over there in NZ ?

Offline omegaspeedy

• 3rd Gear

• nz New Zealand
      Pukekohe
Hi Craig, it worked out to be $92 for two 4l packs. Just off to my dealer now to get a filter and I'll dump the factory fill.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
That's a reasonable price, it's odd that their 4ltr packs as they only come in 1ltr and 5ltr here :confused:

Offline omegaspeedy

• 3rd Gear

• nz New Zealand
      Pukekohe
Yes I thought it was strange too. They did have 5L packs as well but only in 5W30. It doesn't worry me too much because i'll do changes every 7500km and based on my last 3750km factory fill dump, there was no discernible depletion on the dip stick even though I collected a few table spoons via the PCV system.

The 4L packs have the same frontal dimensions as the 5L except its skinnier side on.

Man these oil filter were on tight from factory!! I'm going to purchase an 80mm 15 flute filter wrench for the next one to save the 1 1/2 hour wrestling match that result in many F bombs!!

Offline Dodgetracker

• 2nd Gear

Abu Dhabi
lol My dodge back home, filter was put on by Gorilla on steroids, F bombs and lost some religion that day.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal