Weird noise on startup :(

panda · 120 · 45809

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Thanks for the update and be interested to know how it sounds once the new cover is fitted.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline joesama

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
Ok..
Just got the car back.
I have inquired further as what exactly was the problem.
Here is the picture what has been replaced.
The highlighted in red is apparently called Timing cover oil pump. (The huge silver bit that's attached right next to the engine)
It apparently involves removing a lot of things to get it replaced. Hence it took from 9am to 4pm.

I've also attached the invoice for the job.. There also seems to have TSB for the Navi Audio unit.

Like wise, I haven't heard the noise yet and I suspect I wont any more.
Ill test it out tomorrow morning and see what happens.. But its to do with the clearance on oil pump.

joe....
  • Merc E200, Merc C250 CGI Avantgard, Hyundai i30 Elite Hatch

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
^--- thanks for the comprehensive update, with pics :goodjob:

Wish my i30 had a STANAV - it sounds useful :lol:
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline crayman

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Gympie
Are both auto and manuals making this noise or not?
The Mrs manual I-30 made this noise on initial startup for around 30,000k's, seems to be less frequent now it's up to 45,000.
Nothing to do with ABS, it sounds like a throw out bearing or alternator clutch, something on that end of the engine.
I don't know if these things even run an alternator clutch, doubt it as the alternator stops spinning as soon as the engine stops whereas vehicles I've owned with an alternator clutch still have the alternator spinning freely for some time after the engine has stopped.
Plus a poster has removed the aux. belt and yet still had the noise, which rules out the alternator story.
I'll be interested to hear what Hyundai has to say regarding the oil pump clearance issue (mentioned a few posts back) when the car goes in next week for its service. 
Annoying that a workshop manual for this vehicle seems so hard to source.
Some of the replies offered by Hyundai dealerships could be easily verified if one had a workshop manual.

• i-30

Offline joesama

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
Just to give an update to this issue.
Ever since the work done by Hyundai.. I do not hear the sound any more in the morning. Even when its cold.
Get them to replace the cover under warranty.

joe....
  • Merc E200, Merc C250 CGI Avantgard, Hyundai i30 Elite Hatch

Offline n3os

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne, VIC
Sorry to bring up an old thread. But I recently purchased a 2013 i30 Active and have the same sound on startup sometimes.

I will bring it up at the next service due next month. Looks as though based on the previous posts its due to the clearance of the timing cover to the oil pump and more likely to happen in the morning when the oil's thicker.

Just wondering if anyone else since the last post has had this issue? And had the same resolution?
  • Hyundai i30

Offline pidim

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Hi n3os. I'm no expert here, but my car has had it since new in 2012.  This is what I have found so far.  I have noticed the problem is worse (in the mornings) when dealers have used "thicker" oil eg: 10w40 or 5w40.  Recently I have been supplying my own "thinner" oil of 5w30, which happens to be the recommended viscosity and have noticed that it no longer happens in my car. I have seen many explanations on this forum and overseas as to what causes this issue. I have not pursued any fix, as I doubt the seriousness of this, but this is just my 2c worth in a way to minimise.

Offline n3os

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne, VIC
Thanks for the reply. Yeah I don't think its serious either, might just bring it up next service and see what they say.

• Hyundai i30

Offline crayman

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Gympie
Such an old thread for a problem that doesn't exist, according to Hyundai.
OK it's NOT the ABS pump, nor is it a slipping aux belt.
It's associated with initial cold start up, i.e. no/low oil pressure.
I've found I can work around it by swapping oils.
The Hyundai dealer uses Castrol Magnetec, an oil I'd normally NEVER use but it does give fewer cold start noises.
My usual synthetics, Mobil, Shell, Valvoline, guaranteed noises on every cold start.

Mr's car had it from day one and it's still there 60,000k's later, Hyundai dealer can't hear anything………
As a workshop manual seems impossible to source, I suggest it's to do with the timing chain tensioner. Timing chain rubs on something until oil pressure to the tensioner takes up the slack.
The recent thread where old mate's crank thrust bearings failed also had me very interested, but so far no pictures plus it's a different model engine.
I'm not a fan of starting any engine with the clutch depressed and this noise originally had me thinking clutch throw out bearing, but over time I've ruled that one out.
Either way it's not covered under warranty according to the long list of exclusions.

• i-30

Offline pidim

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Such an old thread for a problem that doesn't exist, according to Hyundai.
OK it's NOT the ABS pump, nor is it a slipping aux belt.
It's associated with initial cold start up, i.e. no/low oil pressure.
I've found I can work around it by swapping oils.
The Hyundai dealer uses Castrol Magnetec, an oil I'd normally NEVER use but it does give fewer cold start noises.
My usual synthetics, Mobil, Shell, Valvoline, guaranteed noises on every cold start.

Mr's car had it from day one and it's still there 60,000k's later, Hyundai dealer can't hear anything………
As a workshop manual seems impossible to source, I suggest it's to do with the timing chain tensioner. Timing chain rubs on something until oil pressure to the tensioner takes up the slack.
The recent thread where old mate's crank thrust bearings failed also had me very interested, but so far no pictures plus it's a different model engine.
I'm not a fan of starting any engine with the clutch depressed and this noise originally had me thinking clutch throw out bearing, but over time I've ruled that one out.
Either way it's not covered under warranty according to the long list of exclusions.

Looks like I was close with my choice of oil theory.  What viscosity Magnatec is used by your dealer?

Offline crayman

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Gympie
10W30, I prefer a 10W40 grade myself.
Have to laugh, there's an Autobarn across the street from the Hyundai dealer.
Just about constantly has Magnetec on special for something like $19.99 a 5-litre.
The Hyundai servicing price for the same oil isn't quite as cheap.
  • i-30

Offline demuire

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich, Queensland
My wife's 2013 GD auto petrol i30 has exactly the same sound, and has had it from new.  Has been through the dealership several times now, we even showed them a video with the sound, and they've always told us they either can't reproduce it, or it's "normal".  Thanks for the update, joesama - will take this in to the dealership when the car gets it's 2 year service in a week or two and see what they have to say then...

Oh, and the GPS in ours hasn't worked pretty much for the last year either, stuck with the issue that was fixed in yours.  It works about 10% of the time, and the other 90% it'll just sit there doing nothing...  Hopefully they can fix it this time, every time we bring the car in, they reload the software, it works for a week or two and then stops.

Offline n3os

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne, VIC
Took my 2013 i30 in for its scheduled service today. I brought up the noise issue when I dropped it off in the morning, but I could tell the guy didn't really know what I was talking about so I left it at that.

When I picked up the car after work, it was another person I was dealing with and he said they couldn't reproduce the issue (he was just reading the notes on the invoice). I showed him a video of the youtube clip someone posted on the first page here I think, and straight away he said if its making that noise there's a part on the car we need to replace. I asked if it was the timing chain cover, and he confirmed.

He apparently had a fair few he had to replace at the previous hyundai dealership he worked at, and he said at first they were replacing the oil pump but that didn't fix it. Then they found they had to replace the whole timing chain cover with the newer one that has better clearance to the oil pump (something along those lines, I still don't quite get it).

Anyway he said he will be putting through an order for the timing cover and call me when it comes in to book a time to have it replaced.

• Hyundai i30

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Thanks for the update.. Lucky you were persistent! :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline crayman

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Gympie
Finally a mechanic who actually knows his product.
Hyundai should clone this bloke as the rest are bloody hopeless.
  • i-30

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net

Except for Tim (Cruiserfied)  :Shocked: :sweating: :whistler:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline n3os

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne, VIC

Anyway he said he will be putting through an order for the timing cover and call me when it comes in to book a time to have it replaced.

Just an update in regards to this. Had this timing cover replaced 3 weeks ago and haven't heard the noise since.
  • Hyundai i30

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero

:crazy3: :kissmyass: :raspberry1:
  • 2018 I30-SR. 2002 Tiburon. 2000 Wrangler.

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero

Except for Tim (Cruiserfied)  :Shocked: :sweating: :whistler:

:hatoff:
  • 2018 I30-SR. 2002 Tiburon. 2000 Wrangler.

Offline Raid

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      London

• Nobody is perfect.

Just an update in regards to this. Had this timing cover replaced 3 weeks ago and haven't heard the noise since.
Did you have to pay for the cover or it was done under the warranty and glad you got it sorted.
  • I30 active 1.4 petrol 2013

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Did you have to pay for the cover or it was done under the warranty and glad you got it sorted.
If you read the topic you'll see they have all been replaced under warranty.

Offline Raid

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      London

• Nobody is perfect.
If you read the topic you'll see they have all been replaced under warranty.
CraigB he never mention about it been replaced under warranty or paid for it and he put there as replace and that can mean anything thanks

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
CraigB he never mention about it been replaced under warranty or paid for it and he put there as replace and that can mean anything thanks
You'll see Joesama gave warranty details when his was fixed so the others will be fixed in the same manner.

Offline Raid

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      London

• Nobody is perfect.
You'll see Joesama gave warranty details when his was fixed so the others will be fixed in the same manner.
Yep I understand that but not all the dealer is the same and some can be a pain in the butt that's why I asked him about his one

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Again you need to read what has been stated, in n3os's earlier post he mentioned that the mechanic has seen this problem before at another dealership and will be putting in an order to have it replaced ( this means warranty ) :wink:

Offline Raid

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      London

• Nobody is perfect.
Again you need to read what has been stated, in n3os's earlier post he mentioned that the mechanic has seen this problem before at another dealership and will be putting in an order to have it replaced ( this means warranty ) :wink:
Never knew putting an order means cover under warranty and again the situation with me this morning service department booked me in for an oil change I thought it would be free of charge as they meant to do it before giving me the car but the person who booked the job for me didn't know if its chargable or not but still booked it

Offline Raid

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      London

• Nobody is perfect.
Anyway now I know everything says put an order means cover under warranty

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
You're not understanding the context of the post, never mind :rolleyes:

Offline Raid

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      London

• Nobody is perfect.
Lets believe in that rolleyes

Offline n3os

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne, VIC

Yeah covered under warranty. Invoice pretty much looks identical to what someone else posted a few posts back.

TBH the noise didn't bother me and if I had to pay for it I wouldnt have bothered,
  • Hyundai i30

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal