i30 Owners Club

How to fit new sill scuff plates

dencee · 20 · 5111

Offline dencee

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Bathurst NSW australia
Hi members. I have just joined this site as I have bought a 2013 i30 5 door hatch GD. but the sill scuff plates are badly marked even tho the rest of car is immaculate. I ordered a set from China cost $29 Australian but can someone please tell me how do I remove the existing ones and fit these replacement ones. Thank you for assistance
  • 2013 Hyundai i30 Active GD

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Let's see what happens when you search the forum for 'scuff plates':
SEARCH RESULTS FOR: "SCUFF PLATES"
Pages: [1]
1 INTERIOR / How to fit new sill scuff plates
« by dencee  1 hour ago »
......  bought a 2013 i30 5 door hatch GD. but the sill scuff plates are badly marked even tho the rest of car is  ......
2 INTERIOR / Re: Scuff Plates - better late than never
« by LemurMort  05-09-2018, 17:56:34 »
......  find next to vinyl wrapping the top of the sills/scuff plates.    Craig took the words out of my mouth. Over  ......
3 ELECTRICAL/ELECTRONIC/AUDIO / Re: HOW TO: Fit LED Scuff plates
« by DragOn  14-11-2017, 11:12:49 »
......  Aussie-i30, thanks for the feedback.  1. With the scuff plates am I able to wire the positive lead from the  ............  lights and run both the footwell lights and scuff plates off a single fuse tap?   You could use the 1 fuse  ......
4 ADVICE FOR POTENTIAL BUYERS / Re: Re-introduction...
« by Dazzler  25-07-2019, 14:46:46 »
......  clay bar and wax once a year  I am interested in scuff plates but just saw some LED ones which look cool,  ......
5 ADVICE FOR POTENTIAL BUYERS / Re: Optional Extras? What did you go for?
« by Dazzler  15-06-2018, 15:41:20 »
......  on 15-06-2018, 07:50:46  For anyone after PD scuff plates, I got this reply from a parts dealer:  they are  ............ . Out of interest I noticed the N only got metal N scuff plates on the front kick panels.  I nearly ordered some  ......
6 COME AND SAY HI ! / Re: Just ordered a N Line
« by Dantrasy  26-05-2019, 07:45:31 »
......  then delivered in July.   We also got tinting and scuff plates added.   Couldn't justify the extra 5.5k for the  ......
7 INTERIOR / Re: Upgrading heater/ac unit
« by Dazzler  19-11-2018, 15:04:07 »
......     Fairy Nuff. Treat yourself to some stainless scuff plates or blue LED footwell lighting instead.  ......
8 Car Related (any make, any model) / Re: New Car Owner Tips?
« by Dazzler  28-06-2018, 10:52:55 »
...... @ntebis There is a recent discussion on scuff plates here ... I reckon they would look ok on silver.    ......
9 ELECTRICAL/ELECTRONIC/AUDIO / Re: HOW TO: Fit LED Footwell Lights
« by DragOn  18-11-2016, 14:13:35 »
......  up 30%     Thanks Gonz.  I love the look of the scuff plates. Keep your eye on the site, as they have sales  ......
10 EXTERIOR / Re: Hi Everyone, I'm a new i30 Owner :)
« by trevor  28-01-2017, 09:24:09 »
......  to beef up the sportiness of the i30 - Aluminium scuff plates: my i30 came with these black plasticy scuff  ............  are practical, but don't look very sport. there's scuff plates for sale on eBay that are aluminium and sold as  ......
11 ELECTRICAL/ELECTRONIC/AUDIO / Re: Interior Lighting in Footwells Install
« by DragOn  18-11-2016, 14:39:36 »
......  step guide of how you did it for the lights and scuff plates?    Hi Aussie, i have posted a How To for the LED  ......
12 COME AND SAY HI ! / First time Hyundai owner
« by Fang  20-01-2016, 13:52:19 »
......  lighting, 17" ENKEI SC24 wheels, sat nav, scuff plates & cargo liner. Looking forward to it!  Liking the  ......
13 INTERIOR / Re: New pedals and scuff plates
« by TheReaper  05-04-2014, 15:34:33 »
......  took them no time to install. I got those and the scuff plates for $265.50AUD purchased and fitted. And make  ......
14 Random Chit Chat / Re: Worth it? (2012 Petrol Hyundai i30 Elite model: $19,000: 10,000km)
« by Phil №❶  22-08-2013, 08:14:08 »
......  claims would be voided too eg if you fitted the scuff plates, then had rust appear underneath, they would not  ......
15 PETROL / Re: another auto tranny problem thread (and other things)
« by komaterpillar  29-08-2013, 12:07:08 »
......  used to just pull out from under the console and scuff plates and I've been complaining to the dealer every  ......
16 COME AND SAY HI ! / Herro from Tbar
« by MrsKomaterpillar  13-04-2012, 08:59:58 »
...... /angel eye head lights, illuminated i30 logo scuff plates and indicator repeater mirrors. Its all Brett's  ......
17 MEMBERS i30s / Swedish "R30" FDe -11
« by Indalsman  14-12-2013, 12:02:09 »
......  Sport pedals (hyundai org. accessories) Aluminium scuff plates (hyundai org. accessories) Leather upholstery  ......
18 Random Chit Chat / Re: My name is Dita ...
« by VaerO  15-01-2014, 12:54:55 »
......  on 14-01-2014, 16:48:01  where did you buy the scuff plates?    They're the genuine Hyundai ones, of you have  ......
19 COME AND SAY HI ! / Picked up my new 2014 CRDi i30 Active late last week
« by Jason2k1  21-07-2014, 12:08:15 »
......  26k with 12 months rego, full tank of diesel, scuff plates, weather shields, floor mats, cargo mat, bonnet  ......
20 INTERIOR / Re: Gear knobs
« by rustynutz  01-04-2014, 08:09:41 »
......  much of a chrome person, but I changed out the scuff plates and the pedals and put the hyundai stainless  ......
21 i30 RELATED LINKS (inc eBay) / Re: i think i just found an ebay i30 parts GOLDMINE!!!!!
« by Joel  09-11-2010, 05:28:56 »
......  like a decent location, maybe around the door scuff plates, and front speakers?!?! Steering wheel on the SLX  ......
22 MEMBERS i30s / Re: Picked up my Black My11 SLX diesel i30 today
« by Joel  22-10-2010, 11:25:02 »
......  boot lip protector - stainless steel door sills (scuff plates) - Mudflaps  just to waste some extra money    ......
23 EXTERIOR / Re: Hyundai rear bumper protector II
« by Mutley  27-07-2010, 08:47:00 »
......  of those for the boot.  In regards to the door scuff plates. I'm more interested in LED ones like these but I  ......
24 COME AND SAY HI ! / Re: Proud i30 Owner! (Cough--- Newbie)
« by GTR27  10-04-2014, 07:08:53 »
......  of getting pretty much all the style pack (scuff plates, sports pedals, led lights, mudflaps) plus a  ......

Cool feature, huh? I know you just started (Welcome!) but don't be shy searching. Lots of these will lead you to good guidance.
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
@The Gonz
 :crazy1:, you just did a tw  :goodjob:
@tw2005
Your rubbing off  :winker:
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline dencee

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Bathurst NSW australia
Sorry I don't understand your reply. Maybe I posted my enquiry in the wrong section. I found lots of info about scuff plates but cannot find anything about how to remove and replace them. Sorry for my lack of knowledge re this matter.  :-[

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
@The Gonz
@tw2005
:rofl: :victory:

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Sorry I don't understand your reply. Maybe I posted my enquiry in the wrong section. I found lots of info about scuff plates but cannot find anything about how to remove and replace them. Sorry for my lack of knowledge re this matter.  :-[
The search leads to threads each containing links to posts where descriptions are given, it just needs a bit of time, like all things worthwhile. If I recall correctly, both @Dazzler and @CraigB have done or considered scuff plates.

Did you perform the search as I suggested?
Look at the third link: :link: HOW TO: Fit LED Scuff plates

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
@dencee  They are simple enough to remove, use a plastic trim tool (so not to scratch) to pry the scuff plates up...the tabs underneath will probably break off but that doesn't matter if replacing them anyway :)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Welcome dencee,

What Gonz has said in a long winded way, is " enter the term "scuff plates" in inverted commas in our search facility (third from the left at the top of the page) and it will bring up at least 24 threads mentioning them. You can then select each thread in turn and browse for the necessary info.

The 3rd link that comes up proved to be the most comprehensive. I you look at that one (which I assume you now have) it basically says you can prise the existing ones off by just getting a finger nail or small flat tool under each end and lifting.

Depending on what sort you have purchased some will actually fit over the existing but others need the existing removed. You will soon be able to see which you have.

You then remove the protective tape from the 3m double sided mounting tape and stick them in place. Give them a firm press all the way along to remove any excess air and ensure they have stuck well. If it is a cool day it is often suggested you warm the surface and tape a bit with something like a hair drier to help initial adhesion, but this is not essential.

Craig beat me too it which was a good effort as it is 3am where he is!  :crazy1:

• 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Craig beat me too it which was a good effort as it is 3am where he is!  :crazy1:
You caught me out :D had to stay up and watch the last few episodes of Lost in Space :Cuppa: time for bed now :sleeping:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

You caught me out :D had to stay up and watch the last few episodes of Lost in Space :Cuppa: time for bed now :sleeping:

I had a pretty average night and then got up at 5am.  :fum:

Offline dencee

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Bathurst NSW australia
Thank you to each one who have replied to my posting. I really do appreciate  your input very much.  :goodjob:

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3416960  :whistler:

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
@The Gonz
@tw2005
:spitty: :goodjob2:
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
@The Gonz
@tw2005

Oh man, I feel sooooo vindicated.

@The Gonz   :goodjob2: :goodjob2: :goodjob2: :goodjob2: :goodjob2:

You are now our go to man for :
ESP light on & window fell down

For starters  :evil:
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Cool feature, huh? I know you just started (Welcome!) but don't be shy searching. Lots of these will lead you to good guidance.
Oh man, I feel sooooo vindicated.

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
I aspire to emulate the best of the best. :lol:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Do you think you will be able to manufacture a better (stronger) version of the FD/GD steering column knuckle?

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
I can do bushes by the thousands but I haven't seen a knuckle to know.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2019, 05:09:04 by The Gonz »

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I can do bushes by the thousands but I haven't seen a knuckle to know.

I'm guessing @tw2005 and @nzenigma both have the relevant part number handy. I wonder if anyone has done the 3D scan to enable a 3rd party 3D manufacture. I guess with the part number you might be able to find out?

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
What's that Topper ?, Best of the Best of the Best.

TOUCHDOWN!

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal