Cruise Control Set Speed Not Showing On Dash

AlanHo · 6 · 1883

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
My car is not a Hyundai but a KIA Niro which share the same platforms and many other features.

I am not alone with an irritating problem – several members of the KIA forum over the last month have reported that their car has suddenly stopped displaying the adaptive cruise control set speed - instead three small lines appear where the speed should be shown in the dash. The cruise control works fine but it is not possible see the speed you have set (other than by watching the speedo).

It has now happened to my 2021 car – and I am wondering whether any Hyundai owners have experienced this.

Strangely the set speed shows in the Speed Limit mode.

• 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Morning Alan

Do you have an option to adjust the adaptivity rate (slow, normal, fast) ? Might be worth playing with that to see if it makes a difference, also see if altering the distance-to-object (shown as 3 blobs in your screencap) changes anything.

Just trying to think of ways you could force the system to zigg instead of zagg.
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

Thanks for that nice thought Steve.

I have just spent an hour (while shopping) and tried the various cruise settings buried in a maze of menu options.  I can alter the respone rate of the cruise and the sensitvity (distance) and tried various permutations - stopping and starting the engine between mods - all to no avail. I guess it's a computer brain fart.

My original Niro had a conventional (but tiny) 12v battery in the boot so it was easy to disconnect the battery and reconnect 30 minutes later - the conventional cure for a lot of ills - but the face-lifted 2021 model which I have has a 12v compartment in the hybrid battery and no easy means to disconnect it.

One of the guys on the KIA forum found a hatch un the the rear seat support which gave access to some cable connectors which he disconnected. He finished up screwing up the cars electrics and had to have it sorted by the dealers. I aint going there.

I'm not up to date with the Hyundai system for sytem and sat-nav updates but guess KIA use it but tweaked in their own flavour.  My car is connectd to the KIA Connect Server which can be set to allow the car to be updated automatically and provides real time traffic and speed camera data. This happens in the background and I have noticed minor menu and map changes without the map data version being changed.  I'm guessing that major updates can also be installed manually - which I did when I took delivery of the 11 month old car.  Since a few other KIA members have the same problem - I am wondering whether is a bug in an auto update. Which is why I posted the problem here to determine whether Hyundai are effected.

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
There could be a safety issue here.

Picture this scenario (it's actually what I go through on my trips to Blackpool):

Travelling West on the M55 I set the speed limiter to 54mph as I enter the temporary maximum speed limit through the roadworks. After 3 miles at the conclusion of said roadworks I substitute the speed limiter for adaptive cruise, by switching to cruise... hitting the set button... auto-advance the speed in 5mph increments by holding the + button, then release that button when 75mph is showing. Gradually my car reaches 75mph.

If I were not to be shown those increments being added to the target speed, or indeed any target speed being shown, I may accidentally set the target to 85/90 mph and that would not look good to the Highways Agency vehicle right behind me.

I'd let Kia know that they've possibly compromised your safety with a recent OTA update. I didn't use the word upgrade as that doesn't sound particularly descriptive.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2023, 17:03:51 by Shambles »

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Looks like it's quite a prevalent issue with a hit-and-miss solution:  https://www.kianiroforum.com/threads/cruise-control-display.9974/

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

Thanks Steve - that makes it look like an International problem.

With the commonality between the Hyundai and KIA brands I find it surprising that Hyndai owners have dodged the bullet.

I will do as you suggest - Email KIA Customer Services using your safety angle (but expect the same reply as a couple of others have received - they have passed to problem on to the KIA tech guys for investigation).

On one of the KIA forums, a member claims to have solved the problem by disconnecting/reconnecting the 12v battery - but it repeated after a couple of weeks.

I guess the evidence points to a bug in the transmission of data from the KIA server to certain models - in which case the cure hopefully can be done via KIA connect rather than at a dealers

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal