i30 Owners Club

And then there were none.....Toyota to be import only

beerman · 44 · 9994

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
2500 direct jobs gone.....God knows how many in the parts industry....

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
How exactly?

Given all the free trade agreements we have signed.....

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Free trade agreements prevent that, Lakes. :fum:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
It used to be that there was a tariff on vehicle imports. Oh and if you wanted to salary sacrifice a vehicle, it had to be Australian made...

Unfortunately they did away with all that chasing free trade, which was supposed to be a good thing for the country (and may well be).

Then the Aussie Dollar shot up, the rest of the world crashed meaning we became a dumping ground for extra capacity, and there you have it.

There was a comment on the ABC the other week that Holden in its big years was pumping out heaps of vehicles, the HQ sold over 485,000. Now even the most popular car will sell only 43,500 cars of 1.136 million sold.

There isn't enough capacity in the market for the factories to get the economy of scale they need.....I was hopeful that the Government fleets might have an opportunity to support one factory, as too the public who wanted to see a car built here. But the decisions have come too quickly for this to be a reality....

Perhaps we could bring the P76 back??/

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
I don't understand a federal government (of either persuasion) who buys foreign cars for their fleets when they could buy Australian.  :undecided:
All federal and state governments should have been made to buy local a long time ago if a suitable vehicle from local manufacturers was available.
It would then be a rare occurrence to have to buy an imported vehicle.
And I agree, tariffs should have been increased on imported cars to help protect our industry.

• Tertius the i30

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
I don't understand a federal government (of either persuasion) who buys foreign cars for their fleets when they could buy Australian.  :undecided:
All federal and state governments should have been made to buy local a long time ago if a suitable vehicle from local manufacturers was available.
And I agree, tariffs should have been increased on imported cars to help protect our industry.

Those pesky free trade agreements again I suspect added to the need to reduce their 'carbon footprint', and the need to sell the cars at the end of their time at the Government......I recall in about 2005 when the fuel crisis hit, QFleet had paddocks of Falcons, Commodores and Camrys that no one wanted.....

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
It's amazing to think that there are skilled workers here with financial commitments to meet and the desire to see their children prosper as well, yet in this modern educated age, no one, even the bean counters did anything except hold governments to ransom to stay in Australia.

This problem also exists in many other countries, but this country is in real danger of becoming vastly foreign owned as overseas companies purchase our resources and property, with the cash that we export every month to pay for our imports. We will become the food bowl for these countries just like the former Soviet bloc countries were IMO.

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Toyota to exit Australian manufacturing, 2500 jobs to go

A shame, but inevitable I suspect.

A decision made easier no doubt by Abbott telling businesses not to expect subsidies.....  :fum:

So we forget who signed a heap of those free trade agreements then?

I also believe that the Toyota workers can thank their union who prevented better agreements being put to a vote?

Oh and how much more did you want subsidised? its already at 3k a car when there selling them at $26990 that's over 10% per car.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia

Would you still have bought 2 i30's, even with a tariff payment as well :question:

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia

Would you still have bought 2 i30's, even with a tariff payment as well :question:

It all depends, I know I wouldn't have bought a Falcon....

It depends on the tariff (after all the market aims for price points, so there is a chance the car would have been the same price but with less equipment), further there is every chance that the price of the Australian cars would have actually have been higher anyway, because they could get away with it.
My second I30 was an opportunistic purchase, based on its cheap price. The second one was always much easier based on the quality of the first.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Toyota to exit Australian manufacturing, 2500 jobs to go

A shame, but inevitable I suspect.

A decision made easier no doubt by Abbott telling businesses not to expect subsidies.....  :fum:

So we forget who signed a heap of those free trade agreements then?

I also believe that the Toyota workers can thank their union who prevented better agreements being put to a vote?

Oh and how much more did you want subsidised? its already at 3k a car when there selling them at $26990 that's over 10% per car.

Not after a political argument, beerman....(we've already been through that when Holden pulled the plug)

Just pointing out what Abbott recently told business.

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
I must say when I saw the ads for the Camry for $26990 I was a bit worried.

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
This problem also exists in many other countries, but this country is in real danger of becoming vastly foreign owned as overseas companies purchase our resources and property, with the cash that we export every month to pay for our imports.

You are copying the mother country. That's what happens in families - wayward kids most often get it from their parents.

After the unions ruined the British car manufacturing industry - Nissan, Toyota and Honda got cracking here. They introduced very tight employment contract terms so strikes no longer happen and they only employ directly a small core of workers - the rest are agency workers on just monthly contracts so they can downsize when times are tough and quickly respond to increasing demand without the union intervention.
What the Japs don't own, the Americans, Indians and Chinese have bought and just look what TATA have done to Jaguar Land Rover - it is now a raving success and not a basket case.

The following major industries now foreign owned include :-
Steel making
Confectionery (Cadbury etc)
White goods (cookers, washing machines etc)
Electrical manufacture
Oil and Gas distribution
Shipping
Package Holidays and Airlines
Chemicals
Building Materials
Power generation and distribution
Medical manufacture
Beverages
Aluminium smelting,rolling and extrusion
even British Airways is no longer British.

We therefore still have a reasonably strong manufacturing industry - but the profits flow abroad. We rely more and more on the service industries - especially banking - and look what a bunch of crooks they are.

• 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Where does it end  :exclaim:

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
This problem also exists in many other countries, but this country is in real danger of becoming vastly foreign owned as overseas companies purchase our resources and property, with the cash that we export every month to pay for our imports.

You are copying the mother country. That's what happens in families - wayward kids most often get it from their parents.

After the unions ruined the British car manufacturing industry - Nissan, Toyota and Honda got cracking here. They introduced very tight employment contract terms so strikes no longer happen and they only employ directly a small core of workers - the rest are agency workers on just monthly contracts so they can downsize when times are tough and quickly respond to increasing demand without the union intervention.
What the Japs don't own, the Americans, Indians and Chinese have bought and just look what TATA have done to Jaguar Land Rover - it is now a raving success and not a basket case.

The following major industries now foreign owned include :-
Steel making
Confectionery (Cadbury etc)
White goods (cookers, washing machines etc)
Electrical manufacture
Oil and Gas distribution
Shipping
Package Holidays and Airlines
Chemicals
Building Materials
Power generation and distribution
Medical manufacture
Beverages
Aluminium smelting,rolling and extrusion
even British Airways is no longer British.

We therefore still have a reasonably strong manufacturing industry - but the profits flow abroad. We rely more and more on the service industries - especially banking - and look what a bunch of crooks they are.

At least you still have industries.......

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
During Summer, I like some SPC pears in Natural juice after my main meal, even though they are more expensive. At Coles they have a measly 2 container wide facing on the shelf, while their own brand has much more. Cool and refreshing. I refuse to buy generic brands when it comes to food going inside me.

Remember also, that manufactures pay the supermarkets for the privilege of placing their product on the  supermarket shelf, the price is then marked up by the store and we pay the store for the product (supplier) + product facing on the shelf (store), + profit margin (store). So, supplier gets 1 & store gets 2, Thieving Ba*****s.  :fum:

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Phil, it might be worth checking out the Coles generic brands as Coles struck a deal last year with SPC Ardmona to supply 100% of their peaches, pears and apricots for their generic canned products from early 2014.....  :undecided:

Deal in can for SPC to supply Coles generic - ABC Goulburn Murray - Australian

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Phil, it might be worth checking out the Coles generic brands as Coles struck a deal last year with SPC Ardmona to supply 100% of their peaches, pears and apricots for their generic canned products from early 2014.....  :undecided:

Deal in can for SPC to supply Coles generic - ABC Goulburn Murray - Australian

Personally I would rather buy the SPC product and give them a reasonable profit, than support Coles and Woolworths, who are killing suppliers, dealing loaded decks to ensure they win no matter what. Their actions in squeezing suppliers on shelf space, rules for being stocked, and then hitting them with low prices for generic stock, are disgraceful. That successive Governments and the ACCC have allowed it to happen is worse (nor have they acted on dumping of fruit and Tomatos, despite clear evidence that it is occurring)

When you have quality companies like Coca-cola, Patties Foods and various milk and cheese manufacturers all registering muted complaints (because you can't upset them after all), God knows what they are doing to the little blokes.

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
And don't forget that SPC is Coca Cola. :disapp:
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Coca Cola Amatil (ASX CCL) an Australian listed company, making coke products under license, in Australia by Australians, paying tax to Australians.

Which is a big difference to Coca Cola (NYSE KO) who as an aside Warren Buffet has a nice percentage of ownership.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
As we can see by the way this topic has drifted, the problem extends far beyond the confines of transport. This is a REAL problem for this country, a slow and invidious threat to production in this country.

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Coca Cola Amatil (ASX CCL) an Australian listed company, making coke products under license, in Australia by Australians, paying tax to Australians.

Which is a big difference to Coca Cola (NYSE KO) who as an aside Warren Buffet has a nice percentage of ownership.
Good point beerman, but it is still one massively profitable company.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Indeed, but should the suppliers of the capital (your super being one). Not be rewarded for their efforts?

SPC is currently not profitable for the reasons outlined above. It is actually a drain on the company, we have just seen 3 examples of what happens when things don't make money. I believe that if the Government stood up to those dumping fruit into our market, and when the dollar falls they will be doing alright.

The money the Federal Government was asked to stump up to re tool the place to have a shot at exporting our fruit, was actually less than the cost of supporting and re training the workforce. Before you look at the benefits of value adding our produce before it is sent overseas..... We shouldn't be the fruit bowl for Asia, we should be making the products from said fruit.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Yes, nothing leaves the country unless it's in a can. Help the steel industry, too. :snigger:

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
And for the record CCL was going to stump up 90 million, The Victorian Government 25 and it was hoped the Feds would chip in 25.

So the Company was making a significant investment in the facility, and did not just expect the Government to pay.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal