Scotland to reduce drink-drive limit

eye30 · 23 · 3588

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
The Scottish government has announced plans to reduce the country's drink-drive limit in time for Christmas.

Under the plans, Scotland's blood alcohol limit would be cut from 80mg to 50mg in every 100ml of blood.

It would mean the legal limit in Scotland would be lower than in England - where the limit is 80mg in blood.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-29750001
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
I'm sure that this has been aired previously hereabouts?

Will this apply to Glasgow? and, how will this be enforced in the Outer Hebrides, pray do tell ?

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
Should be the same for small vehicle users as it is for HV operators 0
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
0.05 over here.
0.02 for probationary drivers.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero
0.05 over here.
0.02 for probationary drivers.
NSW is zero for any driver on probationary plates although if they are under 0.02 and first offence they generally get a slap on the wrist.
  • 2018 I30-SR. 2002 Tiburon. 2000 Wrangler.

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P
  • Keeping it in the family!

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
How can it be zero?

Are NSW probationer drivers not allowed to use mouthwash or have tiramisu for dessert?  Also some medications alter body fluids to create alcohol molecules without any alcohol being imbibed.
  • Kia Sportage 3, 1.7 CRDi EcoDynamics

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Our RBT show had a young driver recently with the tiramisu problem. He came in just under on 2nd test and was warned.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
Our RBT show had a young driver recently with the tiramisu problem. He came in just under on 2nd test and was warned.

Thou shall not have pudding young man! :snigger:

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
I'm guessing that wine gums don't sell too well in NSW :eek:
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

Guess this will hit the sales of Iron Bru.....

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
Guess this will hit the sales of Iron Bru.....

That must be the English version of Irn Bru is it?  Interesting to hear that yours is alcoholic, ours is just a soft drink...... :D

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I think .05 is where it should be. In my opinion .08 is too high...

Being only an occasional drinker, I find even 2 stubbies of light beer has a noticeable (very minor) effect on my state of mind. I believe that would still only put a solid guy like me around .03..

Usually, I only have one light beer or one glass of red wine if I'm driving.

• 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
I took the decision a long time ago that my licence and love of driving means more to me than a couple of beers and therefore am more than happy to drink fizzy water and orange juice and take the car home again.  You feel a lot better the next day too!  :razz:

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Quote from: bumpkin
... Irn Bru ... ours is just a soft drink...... :D
It's diluted by all those girders :scared:
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

Many years ago i use to drink and drive.

I gave up because when i went round corners i was forever spilling my drink.

:lol:

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
 :lol:
And taking a bus home gets you arrested too.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
I have an idea it might be.08 in the NT, but certainly .05 in most of Oz and ,  for tmost state truck drivers, it's .02.

The 0 for P platesrs must work, because it's been that way for years and hasn't created a storm of backlash.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
I have an idea it might be.08 in the NT, but certainly .05 in most of Oz and ,  for tmost state truck drivers, it's .02.

The 0 for P platesrs must work, because it's been that way for years and hasn't created a storm of backlash.

SD, not sure elsewhere but here for HV drivers tis 0 as it is with  non prescribed drug traces. Also with the spate of HV accidents in recent months Australia wide,it is going to get tougher,which it should be for ALL drivers,this day and age there is absolutely NO reason to drink and drive,whether socially or to excess
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
Absolutely agree, there is NO need to drink and drive.

Interesting about the 0 limit, we are frequently told it can't be 0 for the reasons I have outlined above, I believe that having an opportunity to "decide for yourself" creates nothing but confusion, MUCH easier to say zero limit, zero tolerance.

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.

SD, not sure elsewhere but here for HV drivers tis 0 as it is with  non prescribed drug traces. Also with the spate of HV accidents in recent months Australia wide,it is going to get tougher,which it should be for ALL drivers,this day and age there is absolutely NO reason to drink and drive,whether socially or to excess
Rick, I absolutely agree with you about zero tolerances

But it says here it's .02 on NSW.  However, as recently as 10 years ago, the truck drivers working for me down there were of the impression it was 0, so I don't know if it's been relaxed or they were wrong.
:link: Blood alcohol limits < Alcohol and driving < Alcohol and other drugs < Staying safe < NSW Centre for Road Safety

It's 0 in Qld, too.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
When I was in the Navy there were rules for aviators which stated not only did we have to have zero blood alcohol content, but no effects from drinking.  So you couldn't fly with a hangover.  The guidance basically said that if you had a "bender" on the Friday night, you may not be right to fly on Monday.

I agree with you Rick.  No reason to drink and drive.

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
I think Bumpkin has a good point there on it is near impossible to be zero.
Rick do you have many breath tests?

Two years back I was driving to work really early in the morning & got stopped for a breath test the cop just gave me the normal test, but it said alc present I was tee total so was surprised, the fitted the fitting you blow into for a more accurate test, was next to nothing but it showed they got a reading so was not zero & I never drink i won't even drink a light if I'm driving or riding. But I will eat tiramisu once in a while so I'll pay close attention in future.

Offline diablo

• 5th Gear

• england England
      Blackpool

• Fylde Coast England 1.4 petrol Comfort

I have had decent quality personal breathalysers for quite a few years now. I bought my first one in the 90s and have used them ever since. Usually have two to check they read the same - so I'm reasonably sure they are accurate.

I've sometimes noticed that if I've had a few drinks the night before then even at noon the following day I can sometimes be over the limit - even though I feel perfectly sober.

The police (when they had more staff) sometimes used to do early morning checks and they'd book a 100 places in special courts to get people banned very quickly.  Most people assume they are fine if they've had a sleep.

When my mother was still living at home (she is in a dementia care home now) I had cameras on the front door in case she wandered off, had an alarm to spot movement  - then I'd drive round and see where she was. So I had to keep under the limit for three years so I'd be able to do that. (sometimes I went over and that was a taxi job, but not quite as quick obviously)

For a regular drinker like myself (hic) the 80mg limit is fine - doesn't affect me at all at that level, though for a casual drinker it may cause problems.

But I think we should bear in mind that UK roads are some of the safest in Europe - the countries with lower limits don't tend to have less deaths. Also, it has been shown that only 3% of accidents here involve (rather than caused by) people over the limit. 10% of deaths are caused by drink driving - i.e. by people having much more than the limit -  zonked out youngsters showing off to friends mainly. :)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal