i30 Owners Club

VW Is Said to Cheat on Diesel Emissions; U.S. Orders Big Recall

tla · 55 · 13212

Offline Wingerdave

• 5th Gear
  • Brummie born and bred

• nl Netherlands
      Raamsdonksveer
Indeed California's emission standards are more stringent than in the rest of the country. :goodjob:
:link: California Emissions - HowStuffWorks

Oh, and they need to see this:
"ns"

So, Tasmania is Cuba on this map?

At least you knew it was called Tasmania (I doubt many Yanks would) :crazy2:

Well, i did have an education  :lol:
  • 2015 i30 GO! 1.6 GDi 5d Hatch, 6MT, Phantom Black

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
50 Nerds of Grey.......

"Talk dirty to me," she beggedd.
"Alright", he said, leaning closer.
"Volkswagen diesel".
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline diablo

• 5th Gear

• england England
      Blackpool

• Fylde Coast England 1.4 petrol Comfort
Volvo, Renault and Hyundai could all fail future EU tests

:eek:

Yes they all need to do some work for future tests it seems.  Though the sample tests were only done on a single car from each manufacturer.

:link: VW crisis: Volvo, Renault and Hyundai could all fail future EU tests - Telegraph

Mr De Nayer suspects the VW has been sending its cleaner Euro 6 models to testers in America while its older Euro 5 engines were still being sold.

He said: "Reading between the lines, what we're dealing with is VW fitting Euro 6 emissions technology to Euro 5 cars for the laboratory testing."

Hyundai said that "none of our vehicles are fitted with any type of software intended to manipulate regulatory emissions tests results".

The carmaker added: Hyundai Motor abides by the testing regulations and methods of each region where it sells cars including Europe."

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales

Offline PhireSideZA

• V.I.P
  • French Diamond Driver

• za South Africa
      Port Elizabeth

• Phil her up!
Dumb question time: If a lowly 90-odd kw car cannot pass these stringent tests then how on earth do your higher performance vehicles such as your V6 or V8's pass?
  • 2007 A4 Avant 2.0T in Phantom Black. Ex-FD owner!

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Indeed California's emission standards are more stringent than in the rest of the country. :goodjob:
:link: California Emissions - HowStuffWorks

Oh, and they need to see this:
"ns"

So, Tasmania is Cuba on this map?

At least you knew it was called Tasmania (I doubt many Yanks would) :crazy2:

Well, i did have an education  :lol:

Dazz that Y..ks word a very touchy subject below the mason dixon line!! i never use it have seen first hand the reaction it can cause.

winger can you see New Zealand?

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Dumb question time: If a lowly 90-odd kw car cannot pass these stringent tests then how on earth do your higher performance vehicles such as your V6 or V8's pass?

this is Australia m8, look at the size look at the population, then look at size & population of north America , but not many V8's on the road here now.

think the VW's where diesel & where tuned up to perform well.
but we have road trains here that could put out more pollution that say twenty V8's

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Bigger engines have more power to sacrifice to pollution measures. Little ones, when made to comply, match to an auto box and live up to consumer expectations, have a lot less margin, the way I see it.
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Aye30

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Perth
I wonder how the cars will drive, after the software has been changed?

Offline PhireSideZA

• V.I.P
  • French Diamond Driver

• za South Africa
      Port Elizabeth

• Phil her up!

this is Australia m8, look at the size look at the population, then look at size & population of north America , but not many V8's on the road here now.

think the VW's where diesel & where tuned up to perform well.
but we have road trains here that could put out more pollution that say twenty V8's
Yeah true,  sorry if I was a bit vague, I was referring to the USA market with their Silverado's and Ford Raptors and so forth.

At the end of the day we all share one earth and I guess it is up to us to take care of it :goodjob2:
  • 2007 A4 Avant 2.0T in Phantom Black. Ex-FD owner!

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
 wAbbit   Most Americans  are     patriotic, so they like to drive made in USA. those big pick ups with V10 & v8 motors some Turbo Diesel some supercharged tubo changed & LPG injected pull large trailers. but all that is good for USA as they are made there & they tend to keep them a long time so pay for themselves in the long run. Also Americaans are Big Boys n Girls so don't fit well in small cars. still i meet people there who drove old Hyundai Exel manual. one of those Powerstroke V8 turbo Diesel's in a big ute would put out more pollution than twenty vw golf diesels but thats not the point. VW are evil  :lol:
cheers
It's funny how when you start up a new petrol car in the morning and if you need to get out to close the garage door ( for excersize & power saving ) & you walk behind a petrol car when it is running and motor still cold the smell they make is terrible, but you don't notice that with the diesel.

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
The VW is made in Germany, that's why they will be smashed with fines. If it was a US maker it wouldn't be such a big deal.
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Makes me wonder: if the US can fine a German company, it must be the US subsidiary (we all know you can't do business with Americans until you set up shop there). So the worst case would be for VW to pack its bags and head home. Just thinking out aloud. :whistler:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
The VW is made in Germany, that's why they will be smashed with fines. If it was a US maker it wouldn't be such a big deal.
FWIW, I'm pretty sure they have at least one plant in the US. Tennessee I think.  Saw  program on TV about it a  while back.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Makes me wonder: if the US can fine a German company, it must be the US subsidiary (we all know you can't do business with Americans until you set up shop there). So the worst case would be for VW to pack its bags and head home. Just thinking out aloud. :whistler:

Three weeks later a new company called nm starts up....Cars look a lot like VWs.......

• A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
It would appear that the sneaky code is a module within the Bosch fuel injection and engine control software that enables manufacturers to test their vehicles without the restriction of emissions control. Bosch had warned manufacturers as early as 2007 - including Volkswagen - that this module should only be used in company tests and not for normal driving.

The spotlight is now on other car brands which use the Bosch software, to determine whether there are brands who have not removed this special test module from the production ECU.

Hence Hyundai and KIA - plus others - being dragged into the fray.

This story is going to roll on for a very long time.........................and may well result in controlling bodies and the major car manufacturers agreeing on an emissions and economy test regime that mirrors real life driving - at long last.

• 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Volkswagen and Audi diesel sales stopped in Australia   
3 October 2015 by Joshua Dowling · CarsGuide

The VW diesel scandal has now reached Australian showrooms, with 10 models now banned from sale effectively immediately.

In an unprecedented move, car giant Volkswagen has been forced to withdraw from sale its brand new diesel passenger cars across the VW, Audi and Skoda brands in Australia, effective immediately.

The decision follows a meeting in Canberra on Friday between representatives of Volkswagen and Audi Australia with Federal Government authorities, including the ACCC and the Department of Infrastructure, which handles vehicle approvals.

The stop on sales follows bans from showrooms in the US, Canada and Switzerland, following VW's admission two weeks ago it used software to cheat diesel emissions tests on 11 million cars globally, made from 2009 to 2015.

The 10 models withdrawn from sale include diesel versions of the Tiguan SUV, Passat sedan and wagon, Audi A4 sedan and wagon, Audi A5 coupe, Audi Q5 2.0 TDI SUV and the Skoda Yeti SUV and Skoda Superb sedan and wagon.

These models combined account for approximately 10 per cent of the sales volume across the three brands.

A statement from VW said: “Volkswagen Group Australia (VGA) met with the relevant government authorities yesterday to advise them of its strategy in Australia to address concerns that have been raised around the world regarding the diesel emissions issue.

“In its first step, effective immediately VGA has temporarily suspended the sale of affected vehicles fitted with 1.6 or 2.0-litre EA189 diesel engines. The suspension will remain until the emission issues are addressed in those vehicles.”

Executives from Volkswagen and Audi in Australia -- who are still banned by their German headquarters from talking to local media -- say it will make further announcements next week.

On Friday News Corp Australia reported that Volkswagen, Audi and Skoda could be fined $108,000 per car on Australian roads -- approximately 70,000 vehicles -- if they were found to have been approved based on false claims.

Furthermore, the ACCC says it can fine VW and Audi $1.1 million per misleading claim on each car.

For example, a false fuel economy claim on one car can attract a $1.1 million fine, while the emissions claim for the exact same vehicle may attract an additional $1.1 million penalty.

With 10 models potentially affected, the fines could total up to $22 million for misleading claims alone.

Australian owners of affected cars are still in the dark as Volkswagen, Audi and Skoda are yet to issue a recall locally.

If a recall occurs, owners will likely need to return their vehicles to the dealership to have their diesel engine computer updated with new software, although other countries are having their diesel engines "refitted", which may involve new mechanical parts or a complete replacement.

The cars affected

Volkswagen
Tiguan
Jetta sedan
Passat sedan and wagon
Passat CC sedan
Caddy van

Audi
A4 sedan and wagon
A5 coupe
Q5 2.0TDI

Skoda
Yeti SUV
Superb sedan and wagon

Source: :link: Volkswagen and Audi diesel sales stopped in Australia: Car News | CarsGuide

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I might score a cheap diesel at some stage!  :happydance:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
:link: VW's Matthias Mueller: Recall to start in January - BBC News

Quote from: The BBC
VW expects to start a recall of cars affected by its emissions scandal in January, the car giant's new chief executive, Matthias Mueller, has said.

All affected cars will be fixed by the end of 2016, he told German newspaper Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung.
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue

The VW diesel scandal has now reached Australian showrooms, with 10 models now banned from sale effectively immediately.

In an unprecedented move, car giant Volkswagen has been forced to withdraw from sale its brand new diesel passenger cars across the VW, Audi and Skoda brands in Australia, effective immediately.

The decision follows a meeting in Canberra on Friday between representatives of Volkswagen and Audi Australia with Federal Government authorities, including the ACCC and the Department of Infrastructure, which handles vehicle approvals.

The stop on sales follows bans from showrooms in the US, Canada and Switzerland, following VW's admission two weeks ago it used software to cheat diesel emissions tests on 11 million cars globally, made from 2009 to 2015.

The 10 models withdrawn from sale include diesel versions of the Tiguan SUV, Passat sedan and wagon, Audi A4 sedan and wagon, Audi A5 coupe, Audi Q5 2.0 TDI SUV and the Skoda Yeti SUV and Skoda Superb sedan and wagon.

These models combined account for approximately 10 per cent of the sales volume across the three brands.

A statement from VW said: “Volkswagen Group Australia (VGA) met with the relevant government authorities yesterday to advise them of its strategy in Australia to address concerns that have been raised around the world regarding the diesel emissions issue.

“In its first step, effective immediately VGA has temporarily suspended the sale of affected vehicles fitted with 1.6 or 2.0-litre EA189 diesel engines. The suspension will remain until the emission issues are addressed in those vehicles.”

Executives from Volkswagen and Audi in Australia -- who are still banned by their German headquarters from talking to local media -- say it will make further announcements next week.

On Friday News Corp Australia reported that Volkswagen, Audi and Skoda could be fined $108,000 per car on Australian roads -- approximately 70,000 vehicles -- if they were found to have been approved based on false claims.

Furthermore, the ACCC says it can fine VW and Audi $1.1 million per misleading claim on each car.

For example, a false fuel economy claim on one car can attract a $1.1 million fine, while the emissions claim for the exact same vehicle may attract an additional $1.1 million penalty.

With 10 models potentially affected, the fines could total up to $22 million for misleading claims alone.

Australian owners of affected cars are still in the dark as Volkswagen, Audi and Skoda are yet to issue a recall locally.

If a recall occurs, owners will likely need to return their vehicles to the dealership to have their diesel engine computer updated with new software, although other countries are having their diesel engines "refitted", which may involve new mechanical parts or a complete replacement.

The cars affected

Volkswagen
Tiguan
Jetta sedan
Passat sedan and wagon
Passat CC sedan
Caddy van

Audi
A4 sedan and wagon
A5 coupe
Q5 2.0TDI

Skoda
Yeti SUV
Superb sedan and wagon

Source: :link: Volkswagen and Audi diesel sales stopped in Australia: Car News | CarsGuide
I take it per car does not mean 1 car times the number sold but per marque.

Otherwise fines would wipe out the company!
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Wingerdave

• 5th Gear
  • Brummie born and bred

• nl Netherlands
      Raamsdonksveer

The cars affected

Volkswagen
Tiguan
Jetta sedan
Passat sedan and wagon
Passat CC sedan
Caddy van

Audi
A4 sedan and wagon
A5 coupe
Q5 2.0TDI

Skoda
Yeti SUV
Superb sedan and wagon

I take it per car does not mean 1 car times the number sold but per marque.

Otherwise fines would wipe out the company!

Oh, i don't know......... The Germans have come back from worse  :neutral:
  • 2015 i30 GO! 1.6 GDi 5d Hatch, 6MT, Phantom Black

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
KIA UK Have issued this statement

We're happy to confirm that none of our vehicles is or has been fitted with any type of software intended to manipulate regulatory emissions test results. It is our policy to abide by the testing regulations and methods of each region where we sell cars.

We recognise that laboratory tests results conducted as part of a mandated regulation imposed here in Europe by the EU does not always deliver results that match the experience of customers, but Kia is only allowed to quote those officially sanctioned figures.

Kia and other manufacturers are working with the EU to bring forward a more relevant and realistic test programme that better matches the expectations and experience of customers. The current test was created by the EU to produce  repeatable and comparable in-showroom figures and as such is not a promise of performance on behalf of the manufacturer.

This sits in line with the policy practised by most car manufacturers.

The EU prescribed a laboratory test for vehicles which sets out exactly how the test is to be conducted and the CO2 and Nox limits that have to be met. It has always been recognised that this test is not representative of the economy and emissions achievable on the road - it was always intended as a means of comparing one vehicle with another under controlled laboratory conditions.

In Europe - manufacturers are not allowed, by law, to quote or claim any other figures. Hence most car manufacturers specifications or brochures contain a disclaimer that the buyer should not expect to achieve these figures in everyday use.

The CO2 and Nox limits that were specified for the tests apply only to the laboratory conditions - there is NOT a limit specified in Europe for the performance on the road.  Hence the current frenzied activity in the media appears to ignore the fact that if a Hyundai car meets the limits laid down for the laboratory test - the actual emissions on the road are irrelevant - because there are no limits set down for road usage.

VW have fallen foul because they stupidly inserted some software which recognised when the car was being used on the road and it switched off the emissions control. It is notable that - even with the emissions control switched off - the VW cars are still not the worst polluters. If the worst polluters were to be punished - it would be other brands - and not VW.

One of my regular trips takes me past MIRA (Motor Industry Research Association) near Nuneaton in the Midlands. Up until a couple of weeks ago the car parks along their frontage were not all that busy. I drove past there today and they were full to overflowing. I wonder why they suddenly have so many visitors from car manufacturers.  mmmmm

« Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 23:07:37 by AlanHo »
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline GolfNut

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Bribie Island
After watching the 60minutes story on the guys who did the testing and found the discrepancies it surprises me that no auto journalist's picked up on what the results were saying. It was only the regulatory body EPA that it raised a red flag for. They worked away quietly for 12months figuring out why things didn't add up.

:link: How Engineers at West Virginia University Caught VW Cheating - IEEE Spectrum
  • i30 2015 (model tba)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal