i30 Owners Club

Engine struggling at 30mph in 4th

marshy · 4 · 2247

Offline marshy

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
I've just bought a i30 SE NAV 1.6 Blue Drive and so far I'm loving it.  Something that is niggling me though is that when I'm doing 30 and change into 4th the engine sounds like it is struggling slightly.  It's not terrible but the engine sounds louder.  We have a 1.7 IX35 and my previous car, a 1.9 Golf, don't have this issue but I don't know if it's because it's a smaller engine.  Does this sound right to people?  Could there be a problem with my 4th gear?
  • i30 SE NAV

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Welcome Marshy,  The FD series Diesel maunal didn't seem to like 4th gear under load around 1500 RPM especially in the 5 speed 2007-2010 version. I'm guessing you are talking a newer version than that though?  The models have different designations in Australia.  :cool:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline marshy

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
Hi Dazzler, It's a 2017but I'm not sure what series engine is in it.  Where can I find this?
  • i30 SE NAV

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
According to UK Car buyer specs, you have a GD model 1.6 litre diesel (turbo? not stated) with a 6 speed manual gearbox.
I think you need to increase the Revs prior to changing gear.
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal