i30 Owners Club

Manual i30 diesel transmission thump...

Offline terry hunter

• 2nd Gear

• White I30 CW SX CRDI with Cruise
This is the first front wheel drive I've owned and have been told by two service centre mechanics that there is nothing to worry about.

Does any other manual i30 driver notice that when you change gears... either quickly or slowly... that the transmission gives a good thump as you take foot off clutch and onto accelerator again...as when one changes gear? If done very very slowly and smoothly I can avoid it but not in normal driving.

I've taken two mechanics for a drive and they seem to have trouble even hearing what I hear!  But it is so obvious to me and to others I've had travelling - especially loud in the back seat- that it does not sound normal to me.

Could it just be normal front wheel drive torque/stress on the driveshafts and or engine mounts that I have to get used to?

I can't see why these Hyundai techs. would fob me off if there was work in it for them under warranty. The car has done 17000km and has been noticable to me from the first couple of weeks driving. I'm not sure it's getting worse but it sure isn't improving as time goes on.
Am I hearing things... is this normal...?

Terry H

Offline StarSeeker

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands UK

• 1.4 Comfort in Midlands UK
Does it do it only when you change gears, would it do it if you put your foot down hard, for instance in second gear :question:
Also what gear changes does it mostly do it in :question:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Can't say i've noticed it in mine.. very frustrating for you..

I'm thinking clutch or drivetrain more so than gearbox as such...
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline terry hunter

• 2nd Gear

Does it do it only when you change gears, would it do it if you put your foot down hard, for instance in second gear :question:
Also what gear changes does it mostly do it in :question:

Hi Starseeker... only when changing gear... all gears but most noticeable  1st to second, second to third. Putting foot down hard does not do it.

Offline terry hunter

• 2nd Gear

Can't say i've noticed it in mine.. very frustrating for you..

I'm thinking clutch or drivetrain more so than gearbox as such...

G'day Dazzler,

It is much more noticeable when sitting in the back seat. My missus asks even when she's driving (and she's a bit harder on the clutch than me) "Why does it do that?".... and she's not tuned in at all to car noises so it's pretty obviously there.

I can't understand why the techs have so much trouble hearing the issue.

Terry H

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club

I've taken two mechanics for a drive and they seem to have trouble even hearing what I hear! 

Did they drive it themselves or as passengers?

You need a 3rd opinion on this. It doesn't sound right to me.
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline terry hunter

• 2nd Gear

I've taken two mechanics for a drive and they seem to have trouble even hearing what I hear! 

Did they drive it themselves or as passengers?

You need a 3rd opinion on this. It doesn't sound right to me.

They did both but only for a short run .... but I could still hear it when they were driving and had trouble hearing it.

My hearing is not that good either! but perhaps theirs is worse.

Terry H

Offline LuciferDarklord

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Bindoon, W.A.

• Bindoon, Western Australia.
Could be engine mounts.  I've had them fail on me in a few FWD cars, mainly because I was abusing them (old civic and wife's Daewoo).  The torque reaction of the engine/gearbox makes the whole assembly move on the mounts, causing a thump.  Generally it is worse when you change quickly rather than slowly - so not sure if this could be your problem.

Offline Blue

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Newcastle

• Newcastle, Oz
Could be engine mounts.  I've had them fail on me in a few FWD cars, mainly because I was abusing them (old civic and wife's Daewoo).  The torque reaction of the engine/gearbox makes the whole assembly move on the mounts, causing a thump.  Generally it is worse when you change quickly rather than slowly - so not sure if this could be your problem.

I had a mini did this once due to broken engine mounts, sounds like a good starting point to me...   too early for busted CV joints.

Offline terry hunter

• 2nd Gear

Engine mount seem to be a possibility I suppose. What actually fails with engine mounts if they are pretty well new? Have they not been tightened enough? can one have a broken engine mount from new?

Offline LuciferDarklord

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Bindoon, W.A.

• Bindoon, Western Australia.
I'm not sure I guess one could have had a manufacturing fault?  I think these days some of them are fluid filled to reduce vibration.  I used to test my Civic by opening the bonnet, looking under the bonnet gap to see the engine while sitting in the driver's seat and moving a metre or so in the driveway and seeing how far the engine 'rotates' on the mount.  Unless you have a good i30 to compare to it will probably always look like its moving too much tho.

Offline Blue

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Newcastle

• Newcastle, Oz
Engine mount seem to be a possibility I suppose. What actually fails with engine mounts if they are pretty well new? Have they not been tightened enough? can one have a broken engine mount from new?

Hard to tell without seeing it or hearing it... but I would think it could be any / a combination of the above.
With limited information / experience with it, the cause could also be a full drink can rolling around under the passenger seat !!!!!!!

(A review team have recently reported something similar with a KIA, only to find the REAL cause - the can !)

I do hope you find it / get it fixed soon though.

Offline StarSeeker

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands UK

• 1.4 Comfort in Midlands UK
Hi terry hunter

You wondered whether it may be the transmission but say the noise is most noticeable in the back of the car.  Without hearing it myself I can't comment, but could it be something like the exhaust moving around and hitting the underneath of the bodywork?  Maybe you only assume it's the transmission because it only happens when you change gear, but changing gear will cause other parts of the car to jolt.

Think I would be tempted to concentrate on the back end of the car and take it to another dealer to be checked over.  Also to check the car over properly, they would need to get it on the ramps.

You assumed the dealer would want the work and is not likely to fob you off, well they may want the work but only if the fault is easy to diagnose in my opinion.  My experience leads me to believe that the dealerships seem to be too scared to make a decision on a repair in case they get it wrong and have to foot the bill, I suppose if they don’t get it right, Hyundai may refuse to pay out anymore money and tell them it is there fault for an incorrect diagnosis.  There are a lot of examples on this forum where members still have issues that have not yet been resolved and that is because the dealership has not been able to get a positive diagnosis in my opinion.

Offline terry hunter

• 2nd Gear

Well I've had two dealerships check the car out now (twice to one place) and none of them says anything is abnormal.

While this is comforting in one way, I'm very disappointed and I suppose I'll have to ignore it till I can drive another manual to see if it's a standard thing.  The last lot had it for a whole day to check it out and they checked the suspension and the engine mounts.
I wish it was a can under the seat.  :eek:
While it is most noticeable in the rear, it is still obvious when in the drivers or passengers seat.

Can nobody else confirm that their manual is perfectly smooth and quiet when changing gears?... that there is no perceptible thud or thump when letting the clutch out?.... even at a slow or moderate pace gear change?....

This issue is the only real thing that would make me not recommend the i30 (manual)  to someone else if indeed it is a "normal" thing.

Thanks for your replies.

Terry

By the way... I just did a rough economy run with it over mixture of flat and quite hilly terrain... I'm quite pleased with the 4.76lt per 100k.

This is the i30 wagon... still cool day... mostly kept at 85-90kph.... music up very loud... (mostly Porcupine Tree).

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Hi Terry..

Three months and still no further advanced.. :eek:

I have driven my i30 Crdi in all sorts of conditions (and often drive without music) still haven't noticed a clunk or a thump from the drivetrain...

If only you could catch up with one of our members with a similar car. You experience theirs and have them experience yours (to me it is about the only way to get this sorted)

Any takers???

Offline terry hunter

• 2nd Gear

Thanks Dazzler... I'm in Bendigo... central Vic.

Terry

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
ozsnowman lives in bendigo,[or swan hill] is his car a crdi.?  :idea:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Stew I think his first name is .. yes he has an SX Crdi hatch..

He is a pretty easy going fella. If he doesn't see this thread I suggest you PM him and organise to catch up  :mrgreen:

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Hi Terry. This has gone on long enough I reckon.

Do you have any independent assessors around your neck of the woods? Over here we can call on our emergency assist groups (AA etc) to assess a vehicle, usually prior to purchase. Here, at a small cost, we can get a completely impartial report on the state of a car.
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
racv or vacc can do those tests.  :idea:

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
that there is no perceptible thud or thump when letting the clutch out?.... even at a slow or moderate pace gear change?....

My understanding is the Thud may be associated with the release bearing.

Did they mention this as a possible cause of the noise
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Just had a thought .. maybe terry is THUMPER under a pseudonym.. :lol:

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
 :lol: you are a naughty boy dazz.  :P

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
I have a diesel manual and have no noises such as you have described, so it isn't normal.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
Like starseeker said, Don't overlook the fact the noise seems louder in the back. Are you sure it's not the tailgate banging (poort stop adjustment) or something loose in the boot like spare wheelnuts),

Pip
I can induce a thump if I let the clutch out a little too quickly. In fact it will readily and noticibly thump if I engage it with barely too many revs on. If on the other hand, I drive sedately and use the clutch respectfully and gently, it is as smooth as honey; best clutch feel I've ever had. It never complains (apart from the subdued "thump") nor slips if I'm a little clumsy with the timing.

It seems to me like it's a design compromise and has been designed to be smooth, if you are, and less happy if you treat it harshly, else it has just turned out that way.

The thump I'm referring to is clearly from the clutch itself. It's as if the springs in the driven plate are a little soft.

Having said that, it definitely doesn't lend itself to boy racer abuse. :rolleyes: :cool:

Offline terry hunter

• 2nd Gear

that there is no perceptible thud or thump when letting the clutch out?.... even at a slow or moderate pace gear change?....

My understanding is the Thud may be associated with the release bearing.

Did they mention this as a possible cause of the noise

No, not a mention of this.

Offline terry hunter

• 2nd Gear

Just had a thought .. maybe terry is THUMPER under a pseudonym.. :lol:

... or I've accidentally run over THUMPER who is now caught up under the car...............

Offline terry hunter

• 2nd Gear

Like starseeker said, Don't overlook the fact the noise seems louder in the back. Are you sure it's not the tailgate banging (poort stop adjustment) or something loose in the boot like spare wheelnuts),

I can guarantee it is nothing rattling, banging or loose.  It is definitely a muffled "thump" just on gear changes as the clutch is released... either with quick changes or slow changes.

Offline terry hunter

• 2nd Gear

I can induce a thump if I let the clutch out a little too quickly. In fact it will readily and noticibly thump if I engage it with barely too many revs on. If on the other hand, I drive sedately and use the clutch respectfully and gently, it is as smooth as honey; best clutch feel I've ever had. It never complains (apart from the subdued "thump") nor slips if I'm a little clumsy with the timing.

It seems to me like it's a design compromise and has been designed to be smooth, if you are, and less happy if you treat it harshly, else it has just turned out that way.

The thump I'm referring to is clearly from the clutch itself. It's as if the springs in the driven plate are a little soft.

Having said that, it definitely doesn't lend itself to boy racer abuse. :rolleyes: :cool:

If it only happened when I worked it hard, I'd be more understanding and forgiving. But it is almost impossible to prevent it unless I get perfect revs and ease the clutch out so there is no grab on the clutch at all.  This is a ridiculous way to drive of course.
Perhaps the clutch plate has a weak spring or a broken one?

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal