i30 Owners Club

I30 rear camera making a scraping noise

Offline sleepy_jean

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney, Australia
Hi all, we picked up a used 2015 Hyundai i30 that we bought from a dealer today.
Driving it home I noticed the rear reversing camera makes a mechanical scraping noise every time it’s activated (I.e. when reversing for the first time or when it turns off). It’s quite loud and noticeable. Just wondering if anyone knows what might be causing the noise and whether it would be covered under the manufacturer’s warranty to fix? Do rear cameras normally make a noise? (This is our first car to have one).
  • Hyundai i30 Active

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
From memory this is just the motor moving the camera up and down. Much the same way you can hear the motors move the mirrors and the mechanical hand brake (if you have it).
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline sleepy_jean

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney, Australia
Thanks so do all cameras make a noise then? Should it be quite loud?? Wondering if some WD-40 might fix it...
  • Hyundai i30 Active

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Could definately hear the motor in the loan car I had. Don't know if you would describe it as scraping. It was quite loud.

I suspect its why VW and Hyundai don't do that type of reverse camera anymore.

But if your worried ask the dealer. I definately wouldn't be smashing it with WD40.
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Could definately hear the motor in the loan car I had. Don't know if you would describe it as scraping. It was quite loud.

I suspect its why VW and Hyundai don't do that type of reverse camera anymore.

But if your worried ask the dealer. I definately wouldn't be smashing it with WD40.
:agreed: :whsaid: You just got it, it's under wty, any concerns consult the dealer / Hyundai and preserve the warranty, don't go introducing lubricants and solvents that may react with it . Remember, it's plastics, electronics and lenses.
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero
The GD reverse camera's are quite noticable. It is just how they are.
If you feel it's abnormal get a video of it and i will be able to tell you if anything is out of the norm.
  • 2018 I30-SR. 2002 Tiburon. 2000 Wrangler.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi Jean,

Not many reverse cameras make a noise because usually they are fixed in place, but in your model Hyundai and a few VW models they are motorised to fold out when required which keeps them from getting dirty. I have never had a version of the i30 with that feature (even though we've had 4 of them) I reckon it's a great idea and wish my current model had it to be honest.

Like Tim says if it is excessively noisy record a video and as a world class Hyundai technician he will give you his valuable opinion FOC  :mrgreen:

I think if someone watched it closely while you selected reverse they would be able to see/hear if it was scraping or just a motor noise.  :cool:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
On my 2014 GD it was quite audible when the flap opened to expose the camera.

Didn't grind or grate tho...
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Vitruvian

• 2nd Gear
My camera on GD had that sound, not motor, but that ugly scraping sound.
I put a car in reverse with just ACC on, protect camera lens, and greased all moving parts with silicon spray.
Now I just hear normal motor sound when camera goes in/out.
It is now sounds about 300 times better

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

My camera on GD had that sound, not motor, but that ugly scraping sound.
I put a car in reverse with just ACC on, protect camera lens, and greased all moving parts with silicon spray.
Now I just hear normal motor sound when camera goes in/out.
It is now sounds about 300 times better

Thanks for that, but as Jean has warranty and only recently got the car, I think she would be best to get the dealer to do that (as previously suggested) if there is indeed a problem. :cool:

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
On my 2014 GD it was quite audible when the flap opened to expose the camera.

Didn't grind or grate tho...
Of course  :head_butt:, I've been trying to think how on earth does a camera module make a noise, Doh.  :winker:

Offline sleepy_jean

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney, Australia
Thanks all for your helpful replies. It’s reassuring to know that the noise isn’t necessarily a fault with the car. I’m going to mention it first to the dealer when I get the car serviced in 10 weeks but if they can’t do anything to fix it I might try a very careful dose of what you recommended Vitruviun. The noise is a bit like nails scraping on a chalkboard so I’m not sure it’s something I’d be prepared to put up with long term!
  • Hyundai i30 Active

Offline sleepy_jean

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney, Australia
Btw managed to record a video of the noise, you can hear the camera closing in the last couple of seconds. It sounds louder from inside the car:

:link: TinyUpload.com - best file hosting solution, with no limits, totaly free
  • Hyundai i30 Active

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Thanks for the Video. I couldn't hear it very well on the laptop I'm using which has poor sound. I'll have another listen later with headphones. 10 weeks is a long time to put up with it if it is that annoying. I guess some grit might have got in there at some stage when the car was dirty. Maybe you could try and gently flush it out with water while reverse is selected. Just make sure the person doing the flushing doesn't get skittled. LOL

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Hard to comment never having one but I guess it's a bit like having electric mirrors, they're not quiet either . Seems to move pretty well and just the momentary whir of the motor at it closes. Seems fast , I'd say it's how they are. Undoubtedly Tim is in a good position to know for sure.

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero
From the video it all sounded very normal.
  • 2018 I30-SR. 2002 Tiburon. 2000 Wrangler.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal