i30 Owners Club

I30 and snowy mountain passes

xiziz · 2 · 2145

Offline xiziz

• V.I.P

• se Sweden
      Varmland, Sweden
I have to say again, we having gotten some 60cm of snow the last week, and another 20 or so forecast.

My I30 is a joy to drive in snow, today i got stuck behind two 4x4s, one pickup, one merc e-class and had an xc60 awd behind me. The pickup was slipping everywere, the merc was spinning out and constantly lighting its breaklights for short spells (ecs probably). There I was, stuck behind them doing 50-60 on a mountain pass I usually do 70kph in these conditions, no sweat wishing they would turn off(they didnt).

The car is very well balanced and the ECS is very good when it does kick in. My new Hankook winter iPike RS 419 do need 3.2kg(45psi?) to feel stable enough in the corners. My old kumhos felt like deathtraps no matter what I did to them.

When I moved out into the boonies, I was sure I would need a 4x4 like everyone else who has to get around here does, Im happy I stuck with a fwd. Plenty of people have said its a pain to get around this last week, Only thing that has bothered me is getting stuck behind people driv8ng 20-30 under the limit in the middle of the road.
  • Ioniq Electric MY2019 88kw

Offline PhireSideZA

• V.I.P
  • French Diamond Driver

• za South Africa
      Port Elizabeth

• Phil her up!
This is very reassuring to hear as I will be heading up to a popular snow area in July. I won't have winter tyres on (the local shop will laugh at me for even asking) but I am confident in the i30's ability to keep it pointed in the right direction up the various passes to Hogsback :mrgreen:

Keep the rubber side down :goodjob:
  • 2007 A4 Avant 2.0T in Phantom Black. Ex-FD owner!

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal