i30 Owners Club

video programs

Offline meehalych

• V.I.P
  • Aircraft technician

• ru Russian Federation
      Kolpino

• Kolpino is the capital of Russia (founded in 1722)
I'm looking for a free-ware video program to work with the video files of my camcorder (.MOV  format): I'm interested in cutting the files to extract the certain episodes and in gluing two or more files together. 

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
If your using Microsloth I assume you've tried *Movie Maker* which is part of the winders stable and as far as I know is free?????

If your using Linux then you're out of luck cos there are not really any useful video editing packages for any of the Linux distro's, well, not that I am aware of, that is.

Speaking for myself I found Movie Maker OK, but it did not have enough bells and whistles for me.   I used to have a copy of *Premier* adobe that is, but that goes all the way the other way and is quite complicated, well, once again I speak only for myself.  So having gotton fed up going half way across the university to ask for help in the editing suite I finally lashed out some of my own money (as in pension) and  bought a coy of *Power Director 9* which I have been quite happy with...   I got it on a discount deal although I can't recall what the deal was nor where it was, so sorry boout that...

If you insistent on free then it looks like *Windows Movie Maker* or a trip onto the torrents... the problem with visiting torrents is of course spending days downloading stuff to find it's fake, or worse still virussed up...  not to mention that Cracked versions usually mean you can't connect to their server to use all the additional features, and there are lots of additional features which they hild back on their servers.....

I hope this has been of some slight use to you....

Asa

Offline meehalych

• V.I.P
  • Aircraft technician

• ru Russian Federation
      Kolpino

If your using Microsloth I assume you've tried *Movie Maker* which is part of the winders stable and as far as I know is free?????

If your using Linux then you're out of luck cos there are not really any useful video editing packages for any of the Linux distro's, well, not that I am aware of, that is.

Speaking for myself I found Movie Maker OK, but it did not have enough bells and whistles for me.   I used to have a copy of *Premier* adobe that is, but that goes all the way the other way and is quite complicated, well, once again I speak only for myself.  So having gotton fed up going half way across the university to ask for help in the editing suite I finally lashed out some of my own money (as in pension) and  bought a coy of *Power Director 9* which I have been quite happy with...   I got it on a discount deal although I can't recall what the deal was nor where it was, so sorry boout that...

If you insistent on free then it looks like *Windows Movie Maker* or a trip onto the torrents... the problem with visiting torrents is of course spending days downloading stuff to find it's fake, or worse still virussed up...  not to mention that Cracked versions usually mean you can't connect to their server to use all the additional features, and there are lots of additional features which they hild back on their servers.....

Asa

Hi. Thank you very much for the message, although I have W7 installed on both PC and laptop, that Movie maker doesn't seem to work with camcorder files or works ridiculously slow.
I have had an experience in working with free analogs of  different programs and found them very convenient, such as: Open Office (it substitutes MS Office, that is too expensive actually) and Gimp (it substitutes the Photoshop).
Concerning video programs as Movie maker refuses to work I have tried several analogs, but neither have worked properly.
I think I will have to ponder over purchasing that *Power Director 9* you mentioned or anything else.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2011, 15:52:15 by meehalych »

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon

Asa

Hi. Thank you very much for the message, although I have W7 installed on both PC and laptop, that Movie maker doesn't seem to work with camcorder files or works ridiculously slow.
I have had an experience in working with free analogs of  different programs and found them very convenient, such as: Open Office (it substitutes MS Office, that is too expensive actually) and Gimp (it substitutes the Photoshop).
Concerning video programs as Movie maker refuses to work I have tried several analogs, but neither have worked properly.
I think I will have to ponder over purchasing that *Power Director 9* you mentioned or anything else.

When you say it work slowly this prompts me to ask, how much usable memory do you have....   because video editing will gobble up memory...   I am currently using 8Gigs of ram, of which about 7.5 us usable...  I have remapped the memory in the bios to allow full memory usage for 64 bit computers.   The point is, that even with 7.5 gigs of RAM to go at my computer rendering speed is only just acceptable (to me).   In Linux the whole 8gigs is usable because the file system is so much less memory hungry but the only video editiing of any note in Linux is probably Cinelerra (SP?)....

If you can find to money to buy a decent video program I think you'll be happier.

Dazzler has good results with his chosen editor although I can't recall just now what he uses.  I am sure here pop along at some stage and contribute...

anyhow, good luck with it all..

Asa

Offline meehalych

• V.I.P
  • Aircraft technician

• ru Russian Federation
      Kolpino

When you say it work slowly this prompts me to ask, how much usable memory do you have....   because video editing will gobble up memory...   I am currently using 8Gigs of ram, of which about 7.5 us usable...  I have remapped the memory in the bios to allow full memory usage for 64 bit computers.   The point is, that even with 7.5 gigs of RAM to go at my computer rendering speed is only just acceptable (to me).   In Linux the whole 8gigs is usable because the file system is so much less memory hungry but the only video editiing of any note in Linux is probably Cinelerra (SP?)....

If you can find to money to buy a decent video program I think you'll be happier.

Dazzler has good results with his chosen editor although I can't recall just now what he uses.  I am sure here pop along at some stage and contribute...

anyhow, good luck with it all..

Asa

Thank you for the additional information concerning RAM, unfortunately I have got only 4GB at the moment: there are only two slots for memory modules on my motherboard, so I have got 2+2 Gb. Let see if anything changes with another video program I have just ordered.
I have got some various video converters and all proved to work fine.

Offline meehalych

• V.I.P
  • Aircraft technician

• ru Russian Federation
      Kolpino

asathorny
Just found out that Windows Movie maker works significantly faster on laptop than on PC, although the latter is more powerfull in all aspects and laptop has got only 2Gb memory :eek:   I'm puzzled

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi Misha

I have both Video Studio Pro V4 and Power Director 9  ("most" people would pay over $100 each for them though  :winker:)

Try Virtual Dub .. It was a good, fairly easy to use Freeware program last time I tried it ...

and check out this link for other ideas...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_editing_software
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline meehalych

• V.I.P
  • Aircraft technician

• ru Russian Federation
      Kolpino

Hi Misha

I have both Video Studio Pro V4 and Power Director 9  ("most" people would pay over $100 each for them though  :winker:)

Try Virtual Dub .. It was a good, fairly easy to use Freeware program last time I tried it ...

and check out this link for other ideas...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_editing_software

Thank you Dazz.
I have tried Dub, but it turned out to refuse to work with videos from my camcorder.
For the time being I have glued three videos together and the whole file is being loaded to youtube (I had a trip to Saint-Petersburg yesterday)

Offline meehalych

• V.I.P
  • Aircraft technician

• ru Russian Federation
      Kolpino

I have received a box with Movavi Video Suite 9 inside today and it works fine and significantly faster as compared with Windows movie maker  :happydance:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I will have to google that one... :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal