i30 Owners Club

RenaultSport Megane RS265 Trophy 8:08 Limited Edition aka BOB

Offline whitbomb07

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Newcastle, Australia
As requested by Dazz and I'm more than happy to oblige is to show you what I switched to from my i30 SLX CRDi. The name is a bit of a mouthful, but the car itself takes your breath away with how it looks and drives.

Whilst at some point I'm sure many of you have seen a Megane on the road, there are only 100 "8:08 limited editions" in Australia, 50 of which are in the Liquid Yellow (Renaults signature colour) and another 50 in pearl white.

The 8:08 signifies the lap time around the Nurburgring and this is currently the fastest time set by a Front Wheel Drive production car.

This first shot, I took at the top of Mt Hotham at the end of 2012 and it became the "December car" for the OZRS 2013 calendar.

1 Liquid Yellow, 1 Pearl White. Taken by a friend who is a much better photographer than myself!

Managed to get 2 Sydney based LY 8:08's with mine in one shot!

During one of my many travels, Corin Dam.

OZRS cruise out near Oberon. With various iterations of RS Megane's and Clio's

Another OZRS "Nationals" A long weekend of driving and a track day for those inclined!

Hope you like the shots!

Regards

Daniel

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
Not my cup of Tea,but a very nice looking car whitbomb07
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Thanks Daniel, Awesome! (you have done well)  :mrgreen: :goodjob:

Here's a review for others like me that want more info!

Drive - Renault Megane RS265 Trophy Review

and this one mentions Daniel's model..

Renault Megane RS265 - First drive: Hottest Renault Megane here at last | GoAuto
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia

• miracles can happen

Renault Megane RS265 - First drive: Hottest Renault Megane here at last | GoAuto
Dazz That review certainly didn't excite me into buying one,all it told me is that it was a poorly made expensive to buy and run average hot hatch, but still looks good  :goodjob2:
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Not my cup of tea either, but I can see why you named it BOB (or should that be B:OB ?) :D
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I have to agree Rick, when I read that (with respect to Daniel) I was a little disappointed.

Got to remember though that Daniel is less than half our age and would have different priorities...

Even I could pull the birds in one of those!  :victory:

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia

• miracles can happen
I have to agree Rick, when I read that (with respect to Daniel) I was a little disappointed.

Got to remember though that Daniel is less than half our age and would have different priorities...

Even I could pull the birds in one of those!  :victory:

Now this is still up for debate.

Even with different priorities for that sort of money,Myself personally would be going for something else,I think I'll wait for the Genesis R  :whistler: to come out, But again I do like the outside design and look, suppose it reminds me so much of the SR Turbo Volester

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I think it is better looking than the Veloster but I would have a Turbo Veloster and spend the other 10 or 15K on something else  :happydance: Maybe some of the birds I pulled ...  :whistler: :P

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia

• miracles can happen
Yes Hookers aren't cheap these days  :rofl:

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Brill pictures.

Thanks
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline whitbomb07

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Newcastle, Australia

Dazz That review certainly didn't excite me into buying one,all it told me is that it was a poorly made expensive to buy and run average hot hatch, but still looks good  :goodjob2:

Wow, I don't think I've seen a review as negative as that Drive one! Sounds like the writer has Clarksons aversion to hot hatches and RS's in particular! There are a number of points in it that are absolute rubbish. But I'm not going to bother with going through it all if people have no interest in it.

The second review is a much better run down on the car.

The fact is, the car is everything I wanted, I love it and hold no gripes about it. Hyundai wouldn't step up to the plate and give me what I wanted (GC) so they lost my business. I've spent the last 16months driving 55,000kms on the best roads that NSW, ACT and VIC have to offer, met many great people who love their RS's too and have loved every moment of it!

Regards

Daniel

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
You switched from a four door to a two door, have you thought this through?????????????????????????

:Shocked: :Shocked: :Shocked: :Shocked: :Shocked:

Offline whitbomb07

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Newcastle, Australia
You switched from a four door to a two door, have you thought this through?????????????????????????

:Shocked: :Shocked: :Shocked: :Shocked: :Shocked:

I'm 26, single male, with no plans on moving anytime soon. Rear seats don't really get used at all, but when they do I've only heard good things about them and put people to sleep on highways (then wake them up on the twisties....  :evil: )

From what I've been told by owners with babies/kids, it's actually not hard/bad getting them in the back either....

Regards

Daniel

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
A couple of members saying they wouldn't buy one doesn't mean a lack of interest. I would like to hear the impressions of an owner of a vehicle, rather than those of a commercial journalist. So if you want to, go for it.  :exclaim:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
I take it you're an AussieFrog by now? I went from Renault to Hyundai. :lol: Lots of friends and info to be found there. :victory:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline whitbomb07

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Newcastle, Australia
I take it you're an AussieFrog by now? I went from Renault to Hyundai. :lol: Lots of friends and info to be found there. :victory:

Not on AussieFrogs, but I am on OZRS which is another great group, plenty of friendly and passionate folk.  :)

A couple of members saying they wouldn't buy one doesn't mean a lack of interest. I would like to hear the impressions of an owner of a vehicle, rather than those of a commercial journalist. So if you want to, go for it.  :exclaim:

If you really want me to pick apart the drive review then here it is:

Firstly the con list:

1) Firm ride - It's a sports car, go figure, though I quite often hit C or worse roads and it's obviously apparent compared to a smooth surface, but I don't think it's that bad between the suspension and the Recaro bucket seats
2) Fiddly switches (which the writer then goes in further depth later on) - Seems to be a common reviewer gripe, personally I have no problems with the switches and their location at all as does any owner I've discussed it with. Personally I think making it a bit more "Mandraulic" is a good thing and adds to the sports car fun of it
3) Poor instruments - This was worse in the 250 and has been corrected for the most part on the 265, personally I don't use the analogue speedo at all, so it doesn't bother me, the digital speedo is great and I also have the choice of displaying digitally either the speed set for cruise control or the speed limiter
4) Rear visibility - Again, hot hatch/sports car, go figure, the i30 hatch wasn't that great either, so I knew what was coming and am used to using the side mirrors alot more than rearview anyway..... IIRC only the cup (base model) spec doesn't come with reverse parking sensors and the Trophy+ (top model) spec comes with a reverse camera (both of these are optional extras, though you lose the RS monitor if you get the reverse camera

Main body of the story

5) Multiple incorrect statements (such as Liquid yellow being an option colour, redesigned front end)
6) Fuel economy - UTTER RUBBISH! Most of my tanks are in the high 8 l/100km or low to mid 9l/100km. To be over 10l/100km for a whole tank you're either in the city a heck of alot, launching from the lights and not going above 3/4th gear very often. Absolute best economy I've had for a tank was 7.6l/100km and that was driving from Newcastle to Penrith to around all the good roads in the Illawarra (Mac pass, Kangaroo Valley, Jamberoo etc etc) If it was a pure highway run I think I'd stand a chance of getting into the 6's.
7) Torque Steer - Well and truly over dramatised, yes there sometimes can be some torque steer (360Nm through the front wheels, go figure) but it's nothing more than a little tug, the combination of the LSD and PerfoHub suspension does a great job of taming it and is absolutely nothing compared to say a 3MPS
8) Tyre noise - Don't find it any worse than the i30
9) Dust into the boot - Never had it happen, though I don't deny how filthy the bum does get! It's like it's covered in super glue!
10) Already covered the back seat in my previous post.

All in all it's a great car and does exactly what it is designed to do: Go F@#$ing fast around corners! As far as many reviewers are concerned it is still the hot hatch king.

Here's another review and 3 comparisons (twice going up against the Focus ST and Golf GTi) for anyone interested:

Renault Megane RS265 Review | CarAdvice
Hot hatch comparison: Volkswagen Golf GTI v Ford Focus ST v Renault Sport Megane
Ford Focus ST v Renault Megane RS265 v VW Golf GTI: Comparison Review |
Opel Astra OPC v Renault Megane RS265: Comparison Review | CarAdvice Noting the Opel Astra has left the country again now.

Regards

Daniel

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Your response to the review makes for a top review in its own right. :victory:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Well done Daniel   :Agoodpost:

A factual and unbiased review.  :goodjob2: :goodjob:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

You really have to drive these cars to appreciate them.. Don't be offended by a few negative comments from us Daniel  :goodjob:

I cop a bit of flack about my "beige" Camry, but anyone who has had a good drive is more than impressed  :D

Glad you came back with all those positives Daniel, rather than taking your bat and going home!  :winker: :victory:

Offline whitbomb07

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Newcastle, Australia
A factual and unbiased review.  :goodjob2: :goodjob:

Factual yes, but I am certainly biased!  :p

It's been a great car and I love every drive, it's always one to put a smile on my face.

You really have to drive these cars to appreciate them.. Don't be offended by a few negative comments from us Daniel  :goodjob:

I cop a bit of flack about my "beige" Camry, but anyone who has had a good drive is more than impressed  :D

Glad you came back with all those positives Daniel, rather than taking your bat and going home!  :winker: :victory:

That you do Dazz. I've had people who don't "get it" question my logic before so it's nothing new. I wasn't offended, just surprised that some badge snobbery seems to have crept in and that judgement would be passed based on 1 review that is the only one that's ever had significant criticism for the car. Considering the fight Hyundai has had to overcome (in particular with the i30 as the flagship) to gain the audience it has I thought people would still get that.

I'm more than happy to talk about the car, just didn't want to blow my trumpet if no one wanted to listen!  :)

Regards

Daniel

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

When it comes down to it, most of us are car enthusiasts on here.

Trevor for example has been a rally driver and like Gonz and I, is also a bit of a Renault fan... :goodjob:

One of the best cars I ever had was a Renault Virage 1.4 sedan. Which I bought new in 1978 and traded on a Honda Accord in 1982.  :cool:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
@ Daniel,

My unbiased reference, was more about little yellow envelopes under the table, not your personal feelings. I am personally biased to our cars and love the opportunity to drive them too.  :D

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK

Wow, I don't think I've seen a review as negative as that Drive one! Sounds like the writer has Clarksons aversion to hot hatches and RS's in particular! There are a number of points in it that are absolute rubbish. But I'm not going to bother with going through it all if people have no interest in it.

The second review is a much better run down on the car.

The fact is, the car is everything I wanted, I love it and hold no gripes about it. Hyundai wouldn't step up to the plate and give me what I wanted (GC) so they lost my business. I've spent the last 16months driving 55,000kms on the best roads that NSW, ACT and VIC have to offer, met many great people who love their RS's too and have loved every moment of it!

Regards

Daniel

Now this is what it all comes down to.
They can write whatever they want in their reviews, but you got the car you wanted and is happy with all it's capabilities... :goodjob2:
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline whitbomb07

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Newcastle, Australia
@ Daniel,

My unbiased reference, was more about little yellow envelopes under the table, not your personal feelings. I am personally biased to our cars and love the opportunity to drive them too.  :D

Yeah it was my own joke too, perhaps "influenced" is better than biased?  :wink:

Regards

Daniel

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
Hi Daniel , i'm a bit late, but want to say, love your new car! that's a driver's car!
@ one time a few years back i almost went with a Clio club sport ( little pocket rocket ).
Enjoy it.
Also do you do track day's, with your club?
As i was thinking with a car like that meant to drive & drive fast, it would be good for you & good for the car, as they would build them to be driven fast.
cheers

Offline whitbomb07

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Newcastle, Australia
Hi Daniel , i'm a bit late, but want to say, love your new car! that's a driver's car!
@ one time a few years back i almost went with a Clio club sport ( little pocket rocket ).
Enjoy it.
As i was thinking with a car like that meant to drive & drive fast, it would be good for you & good for the car, as they would build them to be driven fast.
cheers

Hi Lakes!

The club does occasionally do track days. The Nationals meet being one of them. However as it's also my daily driver I can't really afford to have an incident on track as insurance won't cover it and "single day track" insurance isn't exactly cheap either.

So for the time being I stick to drive days like Putty Rd etc.

I do want to do another advanced driver course with it, as the last I did was in my i30 and there's obviously a marked difference between the 2!

Regards

Daniel

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
I always wonder about reviewers who cry about switches. Most you buy the car, get in and set them how you like them. Most stay that way until you sell the car.....
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
Enjoy it.
cheers

Hi Lakes!

The club does occasionally do track days. The Nationals meet being one of them. However as it's also my daily driver I can't really afford to have an incident on track as insurance won't cover it and "single day track" insurance isn't exactly cheap either.

So for the time being I stick to drive days like Putty Rd etc.

I do want to do another advanced driver course with it, as the last I did was in my i30 and there's obviously a marked difference between the 2!

Regards

Daniel

Eastern Creek have day's that you can get out on the track for a lap on your own , in my opinion less chance of an accident than on the road. you don't have to push it to the limit. but you get to speeds a lot faster than you can on the road. Wakefield Park another good place.
enjoy your car it's beautiful!

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal