KIA Venga Voted Best UK Small MPV for 2014

AlanHo · 14 · 5449

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
Here is the brief story. I can't argue with the report - I'm chuffed with mine.

Kia Venga wins 2014 What Car? JD Power Best Small MPV
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline Mike SX

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Essex

• Trust nobody with nowt to lose

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
That's excellent Alan.. Always nice to have your decisions vindicated.. :goodjob:

If nobody else has published the latest JD power results on here I will try and find them to post!  :idea: (unless Toyota and Hyundai have rated poorly)  :rofl:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Only 2013 results on JD Power site at the moment? Seems very USA focused too!

Top Rated Cars - Car, Truck, SUV Rankings - 2013 Initial Quality Study

Offline tla

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Melbourne
I think Kia has really lifted their game in the last couple of years.  Being the little brother of Hyundai, I feel that they're either trying to play catch-up or even out-do their big brother.  When I compared the i30 with the Cerato, I chose the Cerato because of the better specs at a similar price.

This leads me to the question about the strategy intended by Hyundai and Kia.  Previously, Kia was targeting the lower-price market, similar to Skoda in relation to VW.  Now, the prices and specs between Hyundai and Kia are very similar, so they're competing directly for the same market.  What is the advantage of that to Hyundai?

• 2014 Cerato Si, YD, 2.0 GDi petrol, auto, white

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

What is the advantage of that to Hyundai?

Bit of a win/win.. I think Kia are a wholly owned subsidiary of Hyundai, so no skin off their nose if Kia is kicking goals!  :victory:

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

KIA and Hyundai share the same platforms and running gear. The main differences are in the styling, engine options, internal trim and suspension tuning.

KIA see themselves as the more sporty brand and their suspension tuning reflects this - most definitely much firmer.

I would have preferred to buy the similar Hyundai ix20 but the only petrol engine manual is 1.4 litres. Bumpkin advised me that it was adequate but not all that lively. I test drove one and he was right - too big a step down from my i30 diesel.

I tried the KIA Venga with the 1.6 petrol engine and it was considerably more lively and has a 7 year warranty - so that's what I bought. I just wish that it had the ix20 suspension though - I don't need firm and sporty especially on our pot holed roads.

Offline tla

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Melbourne
What is the advantage of that to Hyundai?

Bit of a win/win.. I think Kia are a wholly owned subsidiary of Hyundai, so no skin off their nose if Kia is kicking goals!  :victory:
But, they have to fund the Kia's dealer network and marketing costs.  They are, in effect, paying twice for the dealer network and marketing but targeting the same market segment.

In comparison, the VAG nameplates are targeting different market segments: Skoda, VW, Audi, Porsche.

Alan, in Australia at least, there is less of a difference, except that Hyundai provides a diesel engine option in more models.  Suspension tuning is similar.  Warranty is 5 years for both Hyundai and Kia.   

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

From memory I believe that Hyundai and KIA were quite separate companies some years ago. However, KIA got into financial difficulties and Hyundai bought them out. Later there was then some political (oops) scandal in the board room and the government forced Hyundai to sell off most of its holding - leaving them with about 35% of the KIA share capital.  There is much inter-brand rivalry, which the Hyundai Group board seem to regard as healthy because it drives their design, marketing and production teams to try and out-do each other.

In the UK KIA appear have a much more active marketing organisation. Nowadays I see more KIA cars on the roads than Hyundai - especially the Sportage rather than the ix35 and the ceed rather than the i30. The big exception is the Hyundai i10 which is much more common than the Picanto and the i40 which appears to outsell its KIA equivalent.  The Hyundai ix20 and the KIA Venga are both rare sights and it is rumoured that they will be dropped from the range in 2015.

KIA seem to be slowly moving further away from Hyundai and are developing a broader product range - but still based upon common platforms.

Offline tla

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Melbourne
Here in Australia, Hyundai is regularly in the top 4 sellers, whereas Kia is outside the top 10.  This is reflected in the number of Kias seen on the road compared to Hyundais.

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P
  • Keeping it in the family!

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
There is a new MPV on the way which I think will replace the ix20, the ix25 was revealed in China earlier this year.

New Hyundai ix25 shown in Beijing | Auto Express

As for Kia, I have noticed and commented here before that they definitely have a much more robust marketing campaign in the UK than Hyundai, they offer a much wider range of engine/style options than Hyundai across the range and this leads to us seeing more of the models on the road that Alan mentioned.

The Optima is a lovely car, but in comparison to it's stablemate the i40 is still more expensive, however when you actually look at what you get it is better value for money, the fact that the Active i40 doesn't even have reversing sensors is a big no-no these days, particularly for such a large vehicle which is supposed to be the flagship of the stable.

Same with the ix35 / Sportage, those wishing the petrol derivatives have one choice with Hyundai the 1.6GDi, go to Kia and you can have the 1.6 or 2.0 GDi units.

I am waiting for my Kia dealer to get in a Ceed which is advertised on the web site and will be released for delivery at the end of June.  It is a pre-reg on a 14 plate with 25 miles on  the clock 1.6GDi 4 Tech DCT, has all the items my i40 has + leather interior, heated/ventilated seats and steering wheel, lane departure warning, auto park assist, puddle lamps, auto-levelling headlamps and two tone alloys.

They are selling it for £5000 less than cost new - very tempting.............

It would be the same as this but in Planet Blue
2013 (14) Kia Ceed 1.6 GDi 4 Tech 5dr DCT in Perth | Arnold Clark

« Last Edit: May 30, 2014, 10:38:52 by bumpkin »
  • Kia Sportage 3, 1.7 CRDi EcoDynamics

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

The Ceed looks nice!... :mrgreen: :goodjob:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal